218290 Bullies, 9377 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 9:18pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwp View Post
    As you are tired of the hate, I am tired of watching the five minute scissor from them again.

I said the match was **** (specifically meant the first half to correct myself), because
    it happened the same way not once, but three times! They might have met another time as well because I think Keenan has beaten him twice in absolute but can't remember).

Abu Dhabi pro double DQ was less active, hence the dq. They got stood up and double guard pulled two or three times before the Dq. The time before that I saw them meet it seemed novel, no biggie.

After 3 times its like "damn, he's not gonna give up the berimbolo so move on". That is my perspective, that it has been repetitive.

And originally stated in the op I was just happy to see the underdog Paulo get the win because he has lost previously.

Now, I will highlight that people's styles will match up similarly over and over when they meet. But I was hoping his time it would be a little different. And it was, around 4:30 in!

Paulo was certainly way more active than Keenan, I just didn't see it as dynamic until into the 6th minute. And it's not like I am near their level and assuming i know better. I'm just saying it was a repeat of their previous unexciting match ups. When they are normally very exciting players.

To give some credit to their hesitancy to come on top, the guy who did- lost.
    Maybe that's why neither of them want to, they each have such awesome guards. I am aware of that.

I don't consider it stalling tho. They were hunting grips and Paulo was rolling trying to get something going. But there was nothing close or any sweep or counter sweep action in the first 4 min that you mentioned they were going for. It was just grip fighting. I don't consider it stalling, but definitely stagnating. Especially the third or fourth fight in for them.

This I can mostly agree with. Their matches are definitely stagnant and repetitive. It's unlikely they'll meet all that often after their BBs though, so this will probably be the last one.

As for gentlemans agreements Cheng, I fucking hate them. At least roll.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    This I can mostly agree with. Their matches are definitely stagnant and repetitive. It's unlikely they'll meet all that often after their BBs though, so this will probably be the last one.

As for gentlemans agreements Cheng, I fucking hate them. At least roll.
    Agreed! We did it!

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 10:38pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do like when the Rafa and Giu (Mendes, mult time world champs for those that don't know), close out a division.

They usually flow roll and trade some points with Rafa always winning. because that's how it would go 90% of the time anyway.

But they at least make a show of it.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    What are your takes on the gentleman's agreement thing?
    Also fucking lame in spirit. However I can understand the "we don't want to risk getting hurt" since this is how we eat thing, and since they aren't paid it's fine.

I'm biased in my jiu jitsu match watching, I prefer heavy action oriented and movement based games. Hell I even fast forward when I watch some of my own matches if there isn't enough action.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this was mentioned somewhere in the thread before, but that has to be the absolute worst low single attempt I've ever seen. That had to have been a bluff.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First Class1 year registered10000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 12:30pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    I know this was mentioned somewhere in the thread before, but that has to be the absolute worst low single attempt I've ever seen. That had to have been a bluff.

I think he was hoping to get a hand on the pants before the guard pull in order to get points for the takedown attempt.

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 1:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    What are your takes on the gentleman's agreement thing?
    I don't like the practice, but it makes a lot of sense from a strategic standpoint. By doing so, the "winner" advances without exerting any physical effort, and therefore conserves energy in order to be better rested for their next match.

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 2:03pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I don't like the practice, but it makes a lot of sense from a strategic standpoint. By doing so, the "winner" advances without exerting any physical effort, and therefore conserves energy in order to be better rested for their next match.
    If it's not in the finals I'm DEFINITELY against it and think both people should be DQed. As far as I'm concerned it's cheating at that point. Giving your competitor an extra Bye.

If it's the finals, then it just annoys me.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 9:49pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    I think he was hoping to get a hand on the pants before the guard pull in order to get points for the takedown attempt.
    That's what I meant by bluff... No intention of actually completing a takedown. A precursor to the guard pull, perhaps to give the judges the impression of him being the aggressor in the takedown dept.

It's depressing for me to watch videos like this. Two of the best BJJ players in the world, both of whom would completely **** on me in a BJJ match. However, I'm willing to make a modest wager that I could take either of them down, if they didn't pull guard first.

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 3:03pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Saulo's Take.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast