Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/02/2013 10:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling, Bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ibjjf Worlds 2013 anyone?

So, did anyone see much of the worlds this year?

Strange how the über powerful Atos got beaten almost everywhere. They are
    obviously a perpetual target, but Tanquinho's advantage w 7 seconds to go after Rafa (Mendes) didn't get one for his toehold attempt-makes me wonder
    wtf? Does the ibjjf have it in for them?

And what a story Paulo Miyao beating Keenan is!

Ary Farias losing a world title due to stepping off the mat, celebrating before
    his hand was raised? Rules are rules but...Stupid rule!

Many other interesting topics, but there is one that leaves no doubt,
    Buchecha has cemented himself as the current pound for pound King
    of competition Bjj. Awesome to watch his matches.

Thoughts on some of these topics, or others?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was bored out of my mind watching Keenan vs. Miyao. I really have no respect for that type of jiu jitsu. They could both kick my ass but **** that style.

Buchecha was badass, that dude is tearing it up and he's like a year younger than me!

Did you see that kneebar from Braulio Estima? Holy **** that was smooth.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 12:45am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That kneebar was sick and slicker than duck poo!

And I mentioned Miyao vs. Cornelious because the outcome was
    so David vs. Goliath!
    But Damn, that was a **** match! Shoulda been a double DQ like the last time lol.

The bluebelt ladies in the background was a much better match. Sweet armbar! Too bad it didn't last longer. Bet you saw that while you were snoozing thru Paulo/Keenan didn't you?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 7:10am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwp View Post
    That kneebar was sick and slicker than duck poo!

And I mentioned Miyao vs. Cornelious because the outcome was
    so David vs. Goliath!
    But Damn, that was a **** match! Shoulda been a double DQ like the last time lol.

The bluebelt ladies in the background was a much better match. Sweet armbar! Too bad it didn't last longer. Bet you saw that while you were snoozing thru Paulo/Keenan didn't you?
    Double DQ for what? There was no stalling at all. Both of them were dynamically looking for guard passes, back takes, and submissions pretty much every second of that match.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 7:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole first 4 and a half minutes was buttscootin, berimbolo begging
    Crap! And Keenan got warned TWICE! It was a repeat of their double dq
    fiasco at the Abu Dhabi Pro. Did you know that happened?

I will admit there was action in the 2nd half beginning w Miyaos toehold
    attempt. Keenan finally got up and tried to pass, and Paulo was active the whole
    match, it's just wasn't very active jits until then. And even though its technical, it's not very martial sitting on your ass playing footsie.

I realize they are doing their best to win a world championship,
    but you didn't see many other high level players playing that game for
    hardly any time at all. Just my (and Dkjr's), Op.

Jnp read on bloody elbow there were berimbolo attempts in damn near
    EVERY match this year. Now, all the high level guys are ready w counters lol.

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 8:36pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah go check out Buchecha's Berimbolo counter backtake. It's fucking poetic.

But you must have watched a completely different match than I did, because I watched multiple sweep and backtake attempts in the first 4 minutes. Yeah, they were both sitting, but so the **** what? How is that any less entertaining than watching two guys grip up and throw shitty foot sweeps at each other?

I don't get all of the hate being directed against these guys. Leandro Lo gets penalized for stalling in like half of his fucking matches, but everyone is trying to **** on Keenan and the Miyaos because of this one particular matchup when those guys finish or convincingly dominate over 50% of their opponents at the top most level of the sport.
    Is it ANY fucking surprise that the top two guys in the fucking world at that belt level tend to stale mate a little bit?

I honestly expected better for you guys.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 9:48pm

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Is it ANY fucking surprise that the top two guys in the fucking world at that belt level tend to stale mate a little bit?
    I say this all the time, about all kinds of high-level matches in all kinds of combat sports.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 10:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly expected better for you guys.
    The problem with having expectations is that one is often disappointed. I have found that it's usually best to have as few as possible since they typically arise from imposing one's internal preconceived notions onto the external world.

As a wrestler turned BJJ guy, I don't care for butt scooting at all. I also don't really care for matches that are largely 50/50 based, from a positional standpoint. That does not mean I do not recognize the positions validity, nor it's worth. It just means that my personal opinion is biased against it. You know what they say about opinions, every asshole has one. As a consequence, while I don't actively seek 50/50 out when rolling, I don't shy away from it either.

I do hate the double guard pull though, and I admit my bias. Is it really that hard to learn a few decent takedowns?

All that said, I just watched the Keenan-Miyao match, and I have to admit, Paulo worked his ass off. Perhaps Keenan was tired, but with the exception of a few guard pass attempts, he used little more than his size and base to stymie Miyao's attacks. Regardless, there is absolutely no doubt who won. Miyao stayed active and attacking for the entire match.

Concerning other matches, the Estima kneebar set up was gorgeous in my opinion, and I really enjoyed watching Buchecha vs. Viera as well.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, they were both sitting, but so the **** what? How is that any less entertaining than watching two guys grip up and throw shitty foot sweeps at each other?
    Stop putting words in our mouths, that is also fucking stupid.

I can appreciate the level of technical mastery involved however on a tactical level it's absurd.

For you people claiming that high level guys make boring matches I point out Buchecha vs Rodolfo Viera. It's about the mentality of the competitors, Am I a "Do my best not to lose"? Or a "I'm going to do my best to beat the opponent?"

For example Joe Lauzon has never had a boring fight (that I've seen), Wilson Reis has never had a boring BJJ Match, Bruno Bastos? He's almost always had boring BJJ matches unless he's vastly superior to the other guy.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 7:12am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I do hate the double guard pull though, and I admit my bias. Is it really that hard to learn a few decent takedowns?

And I hate watching two fat guys clinch for 4 minutes before one of them falls over.

Here's the video of the match in question:

No double guard pull. Keenan shoots (poorly) for a low single.
    1 minute and in and no 50/50, both guys are working to establish grips and continually attempting berimbolos.

4 minutes in and no 50/50, multiple near back takes, a straight ankle lock attempt, and more grip fighting.

5:30 and after a Miyao toe hold attempt we finally see 50/50 guard.
    5:42 50/50 is broken as Keenan inverts and attempts a berimbolo.

6 mins in, Keenan stands up to attempt to pass after freeing himself from Miyao's grips.

6:35, Pualo comes up on top with a single leg out of guard.

6:48, Keenan sweeps him to tie the score back up

6:50, Keenan with a deep straight ankle lock attempt.

7:04, Some 50/50 as both guys attempt ankle locks.

7:23, 50/50 is gone again as Keenan stands.

And the match ends without 50/50 ever coming up again.

there was no protracted 50/50 battle. There was about 30 seconds of 50/50. A lot of grip fighting, multiple back take attempts, sweeps, resweeps, submissions attempts, etc... All of the stuff you would expect from two very evenly matched high level guys with similar styles.

So, you guys suck for complaining about this match since apparently none of you even watched it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast