Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took a CDT course (Compliance, Direction, Takedown) at some karate place in AZ a long time ago. It was pretty good, in my opion. It was a few hours a day for a week, so I had to take vacation time to go.

The emphasis was on awareness, alertness, identifying threats, etc. Most of the techniques involved making your attacker think that you are submitting and then exploding when he closes the distance, surprising him. Of course, being a LE course, everything had to follow use of force pyramids and legal consequences.

Overall, it was a worthwhile course. None of the stuff could be used to fight, but many people continually fail to realize that engaging in a fight and utilizing self-defense is not usually the same thing. When you walk away from an attacker and embolden him, you can pretty much know how he's going to attack you and you can surprise the **** out of him when you turn into him and double leg him. But, if you square up with somebody and go toe to toe, you have to be a fighter. They are two different things.

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    It was pretty good, in my opion.
    Try to avoid drugs, okay?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:54am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was talking yesterday to one of my aikido instructors who is also a BJJer and former US Army Ranger. He's led self-defense courses in the past, and he says he doesn't teach techniques (in the martial arts sense of the word) at all. He thinks effective use of a technique is something that requires the kind of regular training put in by a martial artist, and that it's very irresponsible for an instructor to show techniques he's been practicing for years and then give average Joes the idea that they're ready to do the same thing after a few hours practice (and will be ready for years to come without any more practice).

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Try to avoid drugs, okay?
    Profound. Thanks for the enlightenment.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789