Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:01pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think your VASTLY over estimating the diffuclty of deploying a knife.
    Yep, Emerson waves open fast. Doing that while getting punched or stabbed and falling over is less smooth. I doubt most dudes who carry knives have never practiced deploying them or own a trainer that would let them safely practice deploying them while being attacked. I'm not saying they aren't useful, I'm saying that self defense courses should clue people in on those concerns.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All of those tactical folders open fast, I can hand anyone a tactical folder and they can deploy them without much more than a few minutes of fiddling in fact its almost human nature to just try and see how fast you can get one to open.

If I being the lame ass uncoordinated person I am can deploy one while being mounted and choked anyone can do it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    Yep, Emerson waves open fast.
    The same wave function can be added to any knife with a thumb hole by adding a small cable tie.
    Doing that while getting punched or stabbed and falling over is less smooth. I doubt most dudes who carry knives have never practiced deploying them or own a trainer that would let them safely practice deploying them while being attacked. I'm not saying they aren't useful, I'm saying that self defense courses should clue people in on those concerns.
    Falling over while stabbed or punched is a potentially lethal scenario for anyone; you'd be hard pressed to do ANYTHING well in that case, and you might be half a second from cracking your head on the ground. In situations where you're that screwed I don't really think there are any viable solutions at all. You could have a knife hand like Han from Enter the Dragon and you're still screwed.

In Dog Brothers fights, people are encouraged to keep hidden trainers and pull them out in a grapple. I've managed to do this in the majority of my fights there. I've also had some trouble one time when my knife got caught on my shirt, and another time where I was reverse mounted and couldn't get to my weapon. In one instance, I drew a folding trainer while the other guy stood up after I threw a different knife at him on the ground. I do not often drill quickdrawing knives while fighting but I seem to do okay and manage to do so before the other guy most of the time. I usually practice it a dozen times at the beginning of a gathering and I'm good.

One of the concerns became that hidden knife deployment was becoming too common. People would go for their knife as soon as any grappling happened. Some thought this was against the spirit of the event, and that it limited creativity, others were all for it. At any rate, trainers would magically appear pretty regularly.

You mention falling after being hit. Another equally valid concern is indexing and deploying the knife when someone's controlling or pinning you. My preference in DB gatherings is 2 knives- one in the front waistband and one in the back waistband, so I can still get one if someone's on top of me or bodylocking me.

If I were to set up a training program for knife training, I'd do some live drilling like this:
    -one guy has boxing gloves and continuously throws punches, the other guy has to clinch to avoid strikes and manage to get his knife out.

-one guy tries his best to take your pocketed knife, the other guy stifles his attempts and draws

-free grappling from the knees with knives hidden, but they can only be deployed by the guy in the inferior position. Taking the other guy's pocketed knife when yours is pinned underneath etc is encouraged. This also teaches the top guy to see a losing opponent going for a weapon.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    I'm not saying they aren't useful, I'm saying that self defense courses should clue people in on those concerns.
    Exactly most self defense courses are a fucking joke even the ones "everyone" says are good are usually total bullshit and actually a liability,

Zod my friend ! Long time no see.

You don't have to be fast to pull a knife. You just have to do it. All my folders open with one hand, all my fix blades even the smallest will also deploy with one hand.

Most people even women can take a couple punches, which is good if your plan is to cut someone up close as a last resort. I would rather fumble for a knife than attempt to x-block and wristlock a dedicated attacker.

Again you never answered my question.
    Which one would you recommend to stop or attempt to stop a forced gang rape ?
    1. combatives training barehanded
    2. small blade instruction and a small blade.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/04/2013 6:38pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

Again you never answered my question.
    How about pepper spray?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gang rape + pepper spray equals at least two guys who are now pissed off and blinded but totally functional otherwise.

Not the best situation.

Hopefully it would smash morale and break their will to continue the rape train ...or distract them enough to run. Pepper spray with die in it is always a good choice to help make and identify the attackers.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/04/2013 6:54pm at .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 6:56pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly most self defense courses are a fucking joke even the ones "everyone" says are good are usually total bullshit and actually a liability
    You won't get any argument out of me here.

The later, of course.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 9:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The answer to the above: "Yes and yes, respectively".

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 10:11pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    self-defense course: "grab my wrist"
    martial arts course: "Pretend like you are kicking a door down"
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 10:51pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    self-defense course: "grab my wrist"
    martial arts course: "Pretend like you are kicking a door down"
    Nailed it. Thank you, while I was reading the thread over again , I was wondering why no one stated this before.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast