pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    When I was at Moteng one of the worse questions to answer was always about the legality of carrying a knife. Especially where the line was drawn for concealed carry. Things like a 5 inch folder does the clip have to be shown?
    Ha, my mom and aunt worked for Moteng.

My understanding is that a 5 inch folder does not have to have the clip visible- folding knives are okay to carry concealed and there isn't a length limit. HOWEVER, there is a 4" blade length limit in public buildings (courthouses, city halls), and some cities have 3" blade length limits (Oakland, San Fancisco, and possibly LA).

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Ha, my mom and aunt worked for Moteng.

My understanding is that a 5 inch folder does not have to have the clip visible- folding knives are okay to carry concealed and there isn't a length limit. HOWEVER, there is a 4" blade length limit in public buildings (courthouses, city halls), and some cities have 3" blade length limits (Oakland, San Fancisco, and possibly LA).
    Yeah that pretty much is the problem local laws make answering these sort of questions a pain. Then you have the LEOs themselves whom are often unsure so it can be a mess.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw unless things have changed in the last 10 years or so you can have a switch blade as long as the blade is under 2 inches.

I also almost got in trouble for my Ken Onion Cam opening knife because a LEO thought it was spring loaded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:23pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Seriously Zod,

What the **** would you recommend? Forgoing the knife and sticking to TKD and KIAING your way through a mass attack you can't deploy your knife in ?

I can't think of a situation that you could fight your way out of barehanded, that a small blade wouldn't help.
    If you already have it in hand, sure. If not, deploying it in a fight is enough of an issue that if you don't train it you're liable to run into problems. Same goes for a gun.

I wasn't saying that a knife isn't something you could use in self defense, I just think that the idea that having a knife is enough is a flawed on e that many people subscribe to an that pointing that out to people is the kind of thing that self defense courses are good for.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    If you already have it in hand, sure. If not, deploying it in a fight is enough of an issue that if you don't train it you're liable to run into problems. Same goes for a gun.
    What kind of fucking idiot doesn't practice with the tool he plans on using for self defense?
    I wasn't saying that a knife isn't something you could use in self defense, I just think that the idea that having a knife is enough is a flawed on e that many people subscribe to an that pointing that out to people is the kind of thing that self defense courses are good for.
    Of course owning a weapon isn't enough. Your post didn't say that tho, it said you may not be able to deploy it because a group of people were fucking you up. Which is retarded.

also for clarification what would you think is better for a woman in a mass attack and gang rape scenario ? Mainly because that is the only situation I can think of where you could not avoid the situation completely.

1.Some combative hand to hand self defense classes.

2. A course in small blade work and a small blade.

...also just to be clear if my life is danger or if I perceive my life is in danger I would not hesitate to kill a mother fucker. I am not going to go light or try to minimize the damage I do. That is stupid. In a real self defense scenario you are defending yourself, period. You want to **** them up very badly, disengage cleanly and haul ass. Mainly because you have already missed the first the first opportunity to run.

You don't pull any weapon as a deterrent. You don't try to cut not to kill and you don't attempt to shoot not to kill. The first thing anyone worth a **** will teach about self defense is that you should be trying to stop whatever is happening to you as quickly as possible. The chance for deterrents, peaceful resolution and all that have already gone. Now it is you vs what ever is trying to hurt you.
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 6/04/2013 5:43pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:34pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Zod is anything ever truelly enough?
    We can what if any situtation to oblivion.
    The real questions are is it going to help, and is it worth the cost(not just in monitary terms).

What kind of fucking idiot doesn't practice with the tool he plans on using for self defense?
    The answer to that is well **** you been here long enough to know better

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:43pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most people who carry knives for self defense.

Of course owning a weapon isn't enough. Your post didn't say that tho, it said you may not be able to deploy it because a group of people were fucking you up. Which is retarded.
    I did say 'Deploying a weapon in the midst of getting jumped is not all that easy and I think that underlining that fact should be part of any good self defense course' not that knifes aren't, ya know, fucking weapons.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think your VASTLY over estimating the diffuclty of deploying a knife.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 5:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast