Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    not for me, probably because of different culture. one thing i did find though, most of the ladies here prefer striking arts to grappling. some of them I'd talked with rather have the fight distant, not literally face-to-face with minimal prolonged physical contact(e.g. clinching). methinks it's the depersonalization thingy...
    I think its more about certain cliches that Americans are presented with. First, there's the big, athletic, meat-headed wrestler who represents grappling (and is always losing to skinny Asian guys in movies) and is a go-to bully for highschool-age dramas. Then, there's the skinny model heroine who defeats multiple beefy bullies (often the tropes from above) using high kicks and low wushu poses.

Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    I wonder if I could kiai now? Will have to try it out and report back!
    I found out that years after doing any kiai-using styles, I can still do it if I want to. In weapon sparring comps with stop-for-point judging, I use kiais to make it more obvious that I hit someone.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    I can't say I agree with the 'small blade' part. Deploying a weapon in the midst of getting jumped is not all that easy and I think that underlining that fact should be part of any good self defense course. Brandishing a weapon to preemptively stop a potential mugging or something doesn't seem terribly wise but probably will work in some cases (and be a felony in others).
    The small blade it to cut your knotted shoe laces off when the man with the gun asks for them and your wallet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/03/2013 8:38pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Self Defense is the ability to get away alive. There are several papers and such on controlling a situation and preventing someone from taking you from a space to an area they feel more comfortable (some are interesting, some are complete bs) but in every case if you're taking a SD class you want the information and knowledge that will allow you to get away from your attacker. Weather this involves harming the attacker, disabling briefly or just drawing attention to the situation - a good self defense course should encompass what options a defendant has when being assaulted; including situational awareness, amongst other more logical things like just don't go alone.

Martial Arts teach you control of a situation you are not usually comfortable with. Er, at least that's what the intention is anyway. The ability to be in a situation where you are facing an opponent and you can coordinate and react depending on your opponents moves and motivations trains you to react in a confrontational manor or take a much stronger control of the situation. Some even train you to overpower your opponent or put them into submission. It is more confrontational and can be used offensively as well as defensively. Long term training allows you to react accordingly.

It's like the difference between a soldier and a civilian. Both can use the same weapons. Both are effective. One has the clear edge .
    Last edited by Ignoscant; 6/03/2013 8:47pm at .

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 11:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously Zod,

What the **** would you recommend? Forgoing the knife and sticking to TKD and KIAING your way through a mass attack you can't deploy your knife in ?

I can't think of a situation that you could fight your way out of barehanded, that a small blade wouldn't help.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 12:30pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're too frazzled to index and open a small knife, you're too frazzled to kick the asses of a group of attackers barehanded.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can think of hundred of situations where a small blade would save your life when your bare hands can't.

You're turning a forced based weapon ( fists, feet,elbows, shins, head) into a contact weapon. You're increasing reach and lethality.

Also if your brandishing a knife as a threat your a fucking moron. Seriously a god damn idiot. A brain dead, butt fucked, tardassian. Small blades should appear quickly and disappear quickly. You should be cutting and stabbing while engaged and in the mix.

Large blades are more offensive and you can't help but show your target the danger.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 12:55pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Also if your brandishing a knife as a threat your a fucking moron. Seriously a god damn idiot. A brain dead, butt fucked, tardassian. Small blades should appear quickly and disappear quickly. You should be cutting and stabbing while engaged and in the mix.
    What? Nah, I've seen a million switchblade scenes, and you're supposed to do it like this:

If you're really skilled, you can toss it between your hands so they know you mean business.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 1:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is my bullfeed telling me there are posts in this thread , that seem to not exist ?
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is much easier to explain why you're carrying a small blade with you vs carrying a large blade. What one needs to do is come out with a multitool with an easily deployable blade. Huh maybe I should be working on that.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 2:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a good solid slightly weighty multitool makes a great self defense tool. Even closed. The added weight and exposed ends can make striking with it in hand a little more dangerous. You don't need to change your striking angles or targets.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast