Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 1:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I dont believe everyone is incapable of it. MOST however are not."

You're absolutely right, of course.

But the people who are capable of it aren't limited to your outlook.

The internet houses thousands of pages of argument 'proving' kungfu is useless. Yet there's a guy with one year of tai chi experience cleaning up MMA up here in Canada. http://www.mixedmartialarts.ca/HTML/Rumble5/09JeremiahJason.htm . Long before the MMA scene existed, a trainer stepped up and showed repeatedly that classically trained xingyi men could thrash Thai boxers at the standup game http://www.hsing-i.com/school_awards/index.html . I don't know him personally, but my eight step mantis friends swear one of theirs stepped into UFC and won two matches there. Yeah, there's people like this now, there was people like this before the arguments that kungfu was useless, and there will be people like this long after. This should tell you something.

I know Tim Cartmell (not personally). He's a good example of someone mixing classical chinese training methods with BJJ. I believe he's done quite well at BJJ tourneys using his bagua training in standup, the way many other BJJ stylists use wrestling and judo.

He seems like a nice guy (like most people who train regularly), and represents Luo De Xiu's Gao bagua, which is generally highly regarded in north america as a hands-on, applicable training method. I've never met any of Park's people myself, but from what I've seen of his system, it seems too complex for my tastes.

I've also played with a bit of BJJ. I don't have the problems with it many kungfu guys seems to have; I suspect because I've actually met people in the context of training, so I know they're mostly nice, humble people. Knowing how to find the guard and sweep are great skills for anyone.

Edited by - Braden on July 26 2002 13:38:43
  2. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As always, nice post Braden.

Guys like Braden are the reason I even have a ground game now. They convinced me that it was important.

By the same token, there is a reason that I have stuck with six elbows kung fu, and it wasn't tradition. It's because the best fighters I've seen out here come from it, so I went with it. And stuck with it.

You want to clinch me, you might take me down, but you will experience the most violent clinch of your life, if I'm doing things right, and that violence is all kung fu, baby. Tested, passed, and entirely workable when you know what you're doing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I dont believe everyone is incapable of it. MOST however are not."

You're absolutely right, of course.

But the people who are capable of it aren't limited to your outlook.

The internet houses thousands of pages of argument 'proving' kungfu is useless. Yet there's a guy with one year of tai chi experience cleaning up MMA up here in Canada. http://www.mixedmartialarts.ca/HTML/Rumble5/09JeremiahJason.htm . Long before the MMA scene existed, a trainer stepped up and showed repeatedly that classically trained xingyi men could thrash Thai boxers at the standup game http://www.hsing-i.com/school_awards/index.html . I don't know him personally, but my eight step mantis friends swear one of theirs stepped into UFC and won two matches there. Yeah, there's people like this now, there was people like this before the arguments that kungfu was useless, and there will be people like this long after. This should tell you something.

I know Tim Cartmell (not personally). He's a good example of someone mixing classical chinese training methods with BJJ. I believe he's done quite well at BJJ tourneys using his bagua training in standup, the way many other BJJ stylists use wrestling and judo.

He seems like a nice guy (like most people who train regularly), and represents Luo De Xiu's Gao bagua, which is generally highly regarded in north america as a hands-on, applicable training method. I've never met any of Park's people myself, but from what I've seen of his system, it seems too complex for my tastes.

I've also played with a bit of BJJ. I don't have the problems with it many kungfu guys seems to have; I suspect because I've actually met people in the context of training, so I know they're mostly nice, humble people. Knowing how to find the guard and sweep are great skills for anyone.

Edited by - Braden on July 26 2002 13:38:43

Been fun guys. Off to enjoy the weekend now. Train hard!!! Here we debate, in the real world all of us rep Martial Arts!! WE are martial artists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know him personally, but my eight step mantis friends swear one of theirs stepped into UFC and won two matches there.
    that is not a safe bet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joel Sutton.

UFC 6 against Jack McGlaughlin. Win for Joel by tapout against strikes at 2:01.

UFC 7 against Geza Kelman. Win for Joel by TKO at 0:48.
  6. KC Elbows

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehehe.

How many have you won, Andy? Probably same as me, and seeing as I don't participate in nhb, and you lived by it in your last statement, I guess I'm the only one of the two of us who doesn't need to step back and eat a little humble pie, kung fu style.

Just flippin' ya ****, don't take it personally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Braden,

I'm curious, because I was asking about something like this on another board. I don't remember the Sutton fights, and I don't own any UFC tapes.

Does anyone know if what Joel Sutton did in the ring looked anything like the kung fu he claimed to practice? We all know about "wing chun" and "aikido" guys whose ring styles are reminiscent of Special Olympics Toughman comps. We've also seen the Boztepe/Cheung, um, donnybrook.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't know.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied Wing Chun and found its movements sorely lacking. I came from full contact karate and I could shut dowm much larger Kung Fu practitioners fairly easily. Im not saying that Im the man. I never say im better than ANYONE. But my FIGHTING was much better than these people. Partly because I trained full contact and they did not.

Joel Sutton never used ANYTHING from Kung Fu in those fights. He flailed his hands like he was having an epileptic siezure and then mounted his opponents. A technique not found in Kung Fu.

I think there are SOME parts of Kung Fu that are applicable. But I also think they are surrounded by mythical CHI stories and USELESS techniques. What happens next is the techniques that DO work are not FOCUSED on like they should be.

People seem to think im against traditional martial art. Im not. I would say that I pobably have more experience in TMA than nearly all of you. But this is 2002. We have to start accepting that many of these techniques have NEVER been proven. They DO NOT WORK.

They may be fun, they may work your body, they may teach you about the history behind your art, but yoyu CANNOT use them to defend yourself. I have no problem with people practicing these movements at all. But they should be aware of the impracdticality of these techniques and have the CHOICE to practice them, or to ignore them and practice something that might help to protect them someday.

I know many katas. I can perform a jump spinning crescent and tornado kick. I can break boards and bricks, and yes, I have meditated many times in my martial arts career.

It simply disturbs me that people WILLINGLY live in ignorance of truth and then SPREAD that ignorance to others even tho it may cause them to be hurt someday because of it.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2002 3:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PeedeeShaolin

"Joel Sutton never used ANYTHING from Kung Fu in those fights."

And you're using your extensive experience from 'full contact karate' and wing chun as proof that you know what eight step preying mantis is like?

"...and then mounted his opponents. A technique not found in Kung Fu."

Pinning someone and hitting them isn't in kungfu? I actually train in kungfu and I say otherwise.

"But I also think they are surrounded by mythical CHI stories and USELESS techniques."

The only people talking about chi in this thread so far have been MMA guys. The only people saying anyone advocates silly guard postures so far have been MMA guys.

"But this is 2002."

Ah, I see your point. It's 4:20 too, I think.

"We have to start accepting that many of these techniques have NEVER been proven."

What exactly are you talking about? It's not clear. Sounds convincing though, if I wasn't really paying attention.

"I know many katas. I can perform a jump spinning crescent and tornado kick."

Presumably none of this from your kungfu training, which makes the reader wonder why you brought it up.

"It simply disturbs me that people WILLINGLY live in ignorance..."

I couldn't agree more.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast