Style
    None at the moment
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone train in or around St.Louis?

I'm looking for a good school to start training and I plan on actually visiting a few. However I was hoping to find some people who actually train and in or around STL. I'm a 27 newbie who dabbled in Muay Thai when I was 21 but that's it.

I'd prefer to learn Muay Thai and Judo but I know that Instructor > Art so I'm open to anywhere that has quality instruction. I would also like to compete eventually if that is relevant to anyone.

Thanks for Reading.

Edit- Here are three places I'll be checking out.

Team Vaghi

I think Rodrigo Vaghi might be known around these parts. It seems legit but I'd rather learn Judo than BJJ if I have a choice.

---

Watson Martial Arts

This place looks promising and the new location has a gym downstairs but then again it looks like a BJJ focused school.

--

Ron Smith's Muay Thai Academy

I don't know anything about Ron Smith but the head striking instructor at Watson BJJ was taught by a Ron Smith so maybe there's something to that. I do like the fact that he only teaches Muay Thai though.
    Last edited by DocNinja; 4/19/2013 2:14pm at . Reason: Added some of places I intend on checking out.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Sorry I'm not familiar enough with St. Louis to be of any help. I do know of a couple of places in the Metro-East, but they're mostly CMA.

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido. Sorry I'm not familiar enough with St. Louis to be of any help. I do know of a couple of places in the Metro-East, but they're mostly CMA.
    CMA aren't my first choice but I'm open to learning from good instructors. Have you trained at those places?

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DocNinja View Post
    Have you trained at those places?
    Not for a little over ten years; things tend to change LOL.

Style
    None at the moment
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Not for a little over ten years; things tend to change LOL.
    ...and usually not for the better lol.

Thanks for replying.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not in a while either as I haven't lived there in ages, but STL is my hometowen, and I have some old school mates that train in Vaghi, and would vouch for them being legit.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vaghis is seriously legit, a great Bjj school, but really focus on competition and winning is really important. If you want to be a serious competitor, Vaghis is the way. Vaghis also offers Muay Thai, MMA and kids classes. Rodrigo (pronounced Hod ree go) is a great instructor straight from Gracie's. everyone is pretty cool and willing to help you any time. Leave your ego at the door and train hard
    St Charles MMA, a Vaghis affiliate, is the place for budding MMA fighters. Have heard only good things about it.

Watson's in St. Louis is a BJJ school, offers Muay Thai and is also a great school. Kyle is a fantastic instructor, very dedicated to the art and truly cares about his students' learning. School s open to fighters, competitors and just the average Joe. There are BJJ Fundamental classes as well as advanced BJJ classes. Muay Thai has technique classes and sparring classes. There are also MMA classes. True family atmosphere. Check your ego at the door. Train hard and take advantage if all the great people who are always willing to answer your questions and help you out.