Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 5:38pm

Style: Hapkido

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Armor Water

So I've developed and tested a material to use in safety gear instead of foam or gels. It is a non-newtonian fluid that turns into an elastic solid on impact, which is great because it gives you lots of protection without giving up the dexterity of bare knuckles.

My original goal was to work this into some eskrima gloves, but unfortunately I have not had any success beyond a super-crude prototype. The problem is, the material can be very difficult to work with, so I need to find some real professional glove/vinyl guys to make this work.

If anyone on this forum knows who I could partner up with to make this happen, please let me know. Otherwise, I may just have to put this project to sleep.

Link: http://www.ArmorWater.com

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 6:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 6:34pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is pretty intense. Wish I could help more but I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    So I've developed and tested a material to use in safety gear instead of foam or gels. It is a non-newtonian fluid that turns into an elastic solid on impact, which is great because it gives you lots of protection without giving up the dexterity of bare knuckles.

My original goal was to work this into some eskrima gloves, but unfortunately I have not had any success beyond a super-crude prototype. The problem is, the material can be very difficult to work with, so I need to find some real professional glove/vinyl guys to make this work.

If anyone on this forum knows who I could partner up with to make this happen, please let me know. Otherwise, I may just have to put this project to sleep.

Link: http://www.ArmorWater.com
    I can probably help you with the prototyping phase and give you some help on the manufacturing aspects. Have been working with a gel for about a year for the sports industry and like your product, the processing parameters make it "difficult to work with".

I've replied via your 'contact us' portion of the linked site. You can contact me from there as you don't have enough posts to reply via PM.

I'd expect to sign a non disclosure agreement and if you don't have one, consider doing it asap.

Good luck,

Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 7:28pm

Style: Krav Maga, Running Away

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, what a brilliant concept!

Might I suggest that, if you haven't already done so, you speak to a patent lawyer pronto. You need to protect your IP rights whilst you're in the development stage.

You don't need a working prototype at this stage for IP protection (the patent office only insist on working models if you're trying to patent a perpetual motion device; seriously!)

Right, I'm off to inject custard into my MMA gloves; that's a non-Newtonian fluid I believe.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:36pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is like a beast oobleck :D Awesome!

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That excellent video's got me wondering some things OP:

How much does that stuff weigh? Lighter or heavier by volume than current glove padding? And can you get away with a smaller volume of armour water than glove padding and still get similar protection?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 11:38pm

Style: Hapkido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    That excellent video's got me wondering some things OP:

How much does that stuff weigh? Lighter or heavier by volume than current glove padding? And can you get away with a smaller volume of armour water than glove padding and still get similar protection?
    It is significantly heavier than foam (similar to water), but you can get away with less volume. You really need about half an inch of thickness to get protection from most impacts. My best guess is the net weight of gloves may stay the same, but the total glove volume may be smaller than what we use today.

The protection is great, but if you're not taking advantage of the dexterity part, you'd be better off sticking to some combination of hard and soft foams. Granted the science-gimmick part would still be fun, but without taking advantage of the fluid nature, it is just a more-difficult-to-work-with version of foam padding.

I was hoping someone on this board might know someone who makes custom fight gear (especially gloves) because it is going to take an expert to do it without it falling to pieces.

And thanks to the other posters about the IP stuff, too. I've got that taken care of. :)

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 12:49am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little bit off topic, but this reminds me of those Tech21 phone cases that use a similar material to absorb impact when you drop your phone. They're pretty sick if you haven't checked them out. Definitely a cool idea, I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast