Posted On:
    5/31/2013 11:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Looking for a koryu dojo in Maryland

Howdy all,

I've been living in the Maryland area for about a year now (military), and am looking to dive into some koryu training. I've studied shotokan for ~8 years, and would like to try something a bit different while I'm out here (I've also done about a year of MJER iaido in San Diego). Does anyone know of a good koryu dojo in Maryland? Thanks! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 6:23pm

Style: Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaRea2288 View Post
    Howdy all,

I've been living in the Maryland area for about a year now (military), and am looking to dive into some koryu training. I've studied shotokan for ~8 years, and would like to try something a bit different while I'm out here (I've also done about a year of MJER iaido in San Diego). Does anyone know of a good koryu dojo in Maryland? Thanks! :D
    David Hall , who teaches Jikishinkage Ryu and Owari Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, is in Columbia, MD, I think. Let me check. I think there is a Kashima Shinto Ryu group in Silver Springs as well.

Edit:

David Hall is in Rockville, MD. Here is his email address. Hobyokan@gmail.com

I have to contact one of my sensei's friends, as he trains Aikido at the dojo where the Kashima Shinto Ryu group is.
    Last edited by frenchie88; 5/31/2013 7:03pm at . Reason: adding info

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 11:48am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The shidogakuin crew in Rockville do some iaido. Contact them, maybe they can point you elsewhere if iaido is not what you are looking for. Capital Budokai does koryu for sure but that's in Alexandria I think. However they also might know of something closer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The group in Silver Springs is Katori Shinto, stupid me.. It'll still take a bit for me to get their info. To second what Neil said, the Capital area Budokai is a top notch choice if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard about the Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu school in Silver Springs, but I heard somewhere that it wasn't a traditional TSKSR school (don't quote me on sourcing, but on some forum I believe). And I'm not sure why it makes me hesitant about it, but it does. If someone could dispel that, it would be great.

I saw Shidogakuin online as well, but it's a bit of a trek for me, and I think there are some closer places that if I wanted to to kendo/iaido together, that would be far more convenient for me to do so.

To go off that, is kendo/iaido a common pairing? Would it be a good start to do the two of those in tandem, and then move into a koryu school after that? Thoughts?

Posted On:
    6/01/2013 11:35pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by koryu? Most iaido schools practice a koryu. If they are a kendo-federation club they will do seitei iai as well as their koryu which is usually MJER or MSR. Maybe not as exotic as you were looking for, or perhaps you want koryu unarmed stuff?

At any rate, lots of people practice kendo and iaido together. The Rockville club has the most senior kendo sensei in the DC area, not sure about their iaido side.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 1:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What do you mean by koryu? Most iaido schools practice a koryu. If they are a kendo-federation club they will do seitei iai as well as their koryu which is usually MJER or MSR. Maybe not as exotic as you were looking for, or perhaps you want koryu unarmed stuff?

At any rate, lots of people practice kendo and iaido together. The Rockville club has the most senior kendo sensei in the DC area, not sure about their iaido side.
    My bad; I know iaido is koryu. I was talking about kenjutsu, not just iai-specific koryu.

Posted On:
    6/04/2013 8:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that contact information from David Hall still good? I sent him an email, but haven't heard back from him. I'm very interested in training with him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can try to see if there is another way to contact him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 6:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like that email is the only public way of contacting him. You may have a better chance of contacting a student of his on E-Budo.com or Sword Forum International.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast