224942 Bullies, 3962 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 9 of 9
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. rnc357 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 2:06am


     Style: dead lifting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Boxing training question

    I have been thinking for quite a while on doing some boxing training. I have done a little kick boxing/sparring many years ago. The majority of my training has been in various grappling arts. Grappling has served me quite well as a hobby and as somthing that helps with my part time work.
    My question is that the place I am looking at going to only mentions the usual boxing type work outs and body sparring. They only mention sparring by invite only in there competitive fight team. I know the work out will keep me in shape, but will just the body sparring, bag and pad work make me a better fighter or should I just stick to grappling. I'm in my mid 40s and have had a few concussions so I would really rather avoid taking to many shots to the head. Thanks for any replies.
  2. Fuzzy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    999

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 3:28am


     Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By body sparring do you mean bodyshots only?
  3. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,596

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 4:50am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnc357 View Post
    I have been thinking for quite a while on doing some boxing training... I would really rather avoid taking to many shots to the head...
    Well, it seems to me you need to make up your mind... :-)

    If you really do not want to get punched in the head (like I chose not to be, which is why I stick to grappling :-) ) but want to jump around and throw punches, there are cardio boxing variations to be found at most modern fitness centers.

    If you wanna do boxing, do boxing.

    Boxing gyms are not rare, look around, you surely will find some that you can just walk in and ask to train there.

    Nobody is going to bash the skull in on a newcomer, so no need to be afraid of that. You can gradually get into it, which would mean getting used to take headshots as well as getting better in avoiding/defending them.

    You mention becoming a "better fighter" - you might wanna look for a good MMA gym, where solid standup could be added to your grappling.

    CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

    "Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
  4. rnc357 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    56

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 7:43am


     Style: dead lifting

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    By body sparring do you mean bodyshots only?
    I think so. Thats what it said on the web site fo the gym.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    Well, it seems to me you need to make up your mind... :-)

    If you really do not want to get punched in the head (like I chose not to be, which is why I stick to grappling :-) ) but want to jump around and throw punches, there are cardio boxing variations to be found at most modern fitness centers.

    If you wanna do boxing, do boxing.

    Boxing gyms are not rare, look around, you surely will find some that you can just walk in and ask to train there.

    Nobody is going to bash the skull in on a newcomer, so no need to be afraid of that. You can gradually get into it, which would mean getting used to take headshots as well as getting better in avoiding/defending them.

    You mention becoming a "better fighter" - you might wanna look for a good MMA gym, where solid standup could be added to your grappling.
    Thanks. Mostly looking to get better at throwing punches, timing ect. and avoiding/defending.
    Last edited by rnc357; 5/23/2013 7:46am at .
  5. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,230

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:53am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like the place you mentioned might be a good fit for you since your concerned about your gray matter. The best thing to do is to go watch a class and either decide on your own based on your impressions, or to come back and describe the class to us.
  6. Fuzzy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    999

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:01am


     Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    It sounds like the place you mentioned might be a good fit for you since your concerned about your gray matter. The best thing to do is to go watch a class and either decide on your own based on your impressions, or to come back and describe the class to us.
    What he said.

    Nothing wrong with doing bodyshot only sparring if you have a customer-facing job, its good conditioning and you're still making solid contact with your opponent, just be careful of developing bad habits like keeping your hands down and your chin up.
  7. Tranquil Suit is online now
    Tranquil Suit's Avatar

    I have emotions.

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,518

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:07am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, we've had the occaiosnal Kyokushin or TKD guy come in. They ALL had bad habits.

    If you wanna develop proper defense, your head needs to be a target.

    (tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40
  8. Tonuzaba is offline
    Tonuzaba's Avatar

    C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,596

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:08am

    supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    ...Nothing wrong with doing bodyshot only sparring...
    See also :-) :

    CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

    "Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal
  9. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    5/30/2013 4:06pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, body-only sparring is fucking awesome. You will learn angles and target areas that you didn't know existed, especially since both of you will be using a super tight for the body. Great for developing footwork also. Shoulder, arm, armpit, tricep, ribs, kidney, all sorts of parts that you didn't know you could hit. You'll also learn to use your punches to control your opponent's movement in the ring.

    And most of all, holy crap is it tiring. It is such a good way to work on your cardio without fucking up your head.

    But most of these benefits come as a 'supplemental' workout, as part of a full boxing/kickboxing regiment.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.