Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Help me choose between judo&bjj pls

    I know both are good obviously but which one is more ideal for a stifling, dominant position, grinding style? Obviously you're gonna tell me to go do wrestling but I'm too old for that. Not in school anymore. It's gotta be either bjj or judo. When I watch mma, I honestly hate watching those guys who pull guard and flop to their backs.

    I really enjoyed the way Demian Maia out-Fitch'd Jon Fitch. Was that a result of Maia's crosstraining with judo, or are Maia's Fitch-ing skills something that Bjj teaches you?
    Last edited by moomoobaba; 6/03/2013 1:48pm at .

  2. #2
    Tonuzaba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    5,629
    Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello moomoobaba, welcome to Bullshido!

    While I can't answer your question regarding Demian Maia (maybe he disclosed it in an interview somewhere), helping you chose between judo and BJJ is pretty simple - you have to decide, whether you enjoy being thrown around a lot (and later, throw others around), in which case go for judo, or you want to spend most of your training time already on the ground, being choked and having your limbs forced into unnatural angles (and later do the same to others), in which case BJJ is your best option.

    Don't theorethise, though, pay visit to a judo AND a BJJ school, take advantage of the free class most of the schools offer, experience stuff firsthand and make your mind up. (Given enough free time, energy and money, you might train both arts, naturally...)

    Do get back to us afterwards, good luck and enjoy whatever you chose.

    CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

    "Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

  3. #3
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ATX
    Posts
    3,963
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moomoobaba View Post
    I know both are good obviously but which one is more ideal for a stifling, dominant position, grinding style? Obviously you're gonna tell me to go do wrestling but I'm too old for that. Not in school anymore. It's gotta be either bjj or judo. When I watch mma, I honestly hate watching those guys who pull guard and flop to their backs.

    I really enjoyed the way Demian Maia out-Fitch'd Jon Fitch. Was that a result of Maia's crosstraining with judo, or are Maia's Fitch-ing skills something that Bjj teaches you?
    Pulling guard is, in my experience, a BJJ thing limited to competition (a lot of us don't train take-downs). It is a good criticism, on your part, and if that's a concern for you, I would go Judo.

    Welcome to Bullshido.

  4. #4
    goshinbudoJJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Massapequa, New York
    Posts
    341
    Style
    BJJ, Judo, JJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome moomoobabba

    You can't go wrong with either, but if you're looking for heavy top pressure I'd recommend a Judo school that focuses on ground technique. I currently train in both, but the Judo is much more stand up focused, whereas the BJJ is strictly focused on the ground.

    Find a few schools for both and schedule a free trial class before you commit to anything. You'll be glad you did.

  5. #5
    NeilG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    2,029
    Style
    Kendo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's your goal in studying either?

  6. #6

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    24,215
    Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What's your goal in studying either?
    Beat me to it.

  7. #7
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    Welcome moomoobabba

    You can't go wrong with either, but if you're looking for heavy top pressure I'd recommend a Judo school that focuses on ground technique. I currently train in both, but the Judo is much more stand up focused, whereas the BJJ is strictly focused on the ground.

    Find a few schools for both and schedule a free trial class before you commit to anything. You'll be glad you did.
    I have no intention of starting an argument, but just to play devil's advocate - what's the point of being able to throw and trip, if you're not that great at staying on top or keeping the opponent down? The judokas in mma don't seem to have the same kind of blanketing power that wrestlers do. Or am I wrong about that

  8. #8
    goshinbudoJJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Massapequa, New York
    Posts
    341
    Style
    BJJ, Judo, JJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moomoobaba View Post
    I have no intention of starting an argument, but just to play devil's advocate - what's the point of being able to throw and trip, if you're not that great at staying on top or keeping the opponent down? The judokas in mma don't seem to have the same kind of blanketing power that wrestlers do. Or am I wrong about that
    I would agree with that to a certain extent. But remember, you can win a Judo match by pin too. I play with some Judoka that can generate a ton of top pressure. But those guys typically have a BJJ/wrestling background on addition to Judo.

    If your goal is strictly ground fighting/top pressure, then maybe BJJ is right for you.

  9. #9
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    What's your goal in studying either?
    Self-defense, physical and mental development and just because I'm a pretty enthusiastic mma fan. I'll never be a pro fighter, but I would at least like to model myself after the ones that I do enjoy watching. I don't enjoy watching butt scooters and guard pullers. Not knocking Bjj as a whole, but it just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. Too passive, shall we say? I like guys who can actively get the takedown, stay on top and maintain that top pressure like what Maia did to Fitch or what Sonnen or Valezquez do to everyone. Again, wrestling is not an option. I guess I'm just wondering which of judo or bjj would fit that description more. I guess judo's downside is a mediocre ground game and at least Bjj people know how to sweep and reverse from guard. The idea of being on my back while someone is bouncing my head off a hard floor in a self defense situation doesn't sound too appealing either tho
    Last edited by moomoobaba; 6/03/2013 4:22pm at .

  10. #10
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    I would agree with that to a certain extent. But remember, you can win a Judo match by pin too. I play with some Judoka that can generate a ton of top pressure. But those guys typically have a BJJ/wrestling background on addition to Judo.

    If your goal is strictly ground fighting/top pressure, then maybe BJJ is right for you.
    Would you say Bjj guys can top pressure just as well or almost as well as wrestlers? I guess especially since things like the guard don't even exist in pure wrestling

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in