218304 Bullies, 6066 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 7:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    The more I see of this guy the more I like. people have said to me that there are similarities between Xingyi and WC and tbh I have been a bit offended because I have not seen anything WC does that I could relate to. Watching this I see stuff I recognise.
    That's more boxing than chun. His stuff is mixed and that isn't a bad thing.

Titanium laced beauty

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassCreated Album pictures25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 8:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Great video.

This type of good Chun thread needs the right bad video counterweight to help illuminate the contrast.

I found this one, "Wing Chun vs. Any Style".

**** that certainly is a contrast! How self deluding and dishonest can you get?
    Wonder what the letters MMA stood for in that vid? Maybe Martial Artist? Maybe My Auntie?
    When a lifelong grappler, whose striking skills are eclipsed by those of a homeless three toed sloth, sits down and watches at supposed MMA guy's performance and notices said guy's complete lack of footwork, there might be a wee bit of a problem.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Welterweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    When a lifelong grappler, whose striking skills are eclipsed by those of a homeless three toed sloth, sits down and watches at supposed MMA guy's performance and notices said guy's complete lack of footwork, there might be a wee bit of a problem.
    Exactly. He only had the deadly stumble awkwardly backward secret stepping technique. He seemed oblivious to the esoteric science of the angle offline manouver..perhaps he lost the ancient scrolls.
    He certainly was well trained in folding under the first sign of pressure.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 11:30pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never-mind, I might hurt more feelings.

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 5:42am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Never-mind, I might hurt more feelings.
    Am intrigued.

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 9:54am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's more boxing than chun. His stuff is mixed and that isn't a bad thing.
    What bothered me a little, is that he seems to think wing chun invented counter punching, and that the boxer's head is going to stay there when he is countering a strike, like that is something boxers don't face all the time..Or that if he goes in deep (with no grappling) somehow the boxer is automatically out of his element..like there is no clinching and infighting in boxing...
    Oh and his "don't worry about defending.." yes, that will go well. Just ignore that swift hook coming towards your temple , concentrate at striking his chest..
    I don't know, he seems able for sure , but his oversimplifying how to stop a wrestler from grabbing you, or a boxer from punching you say volumes on his actual fighting experience. IMO.

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 10:53am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    What bothered me a little, is that he seems to think wing chun invented counter punching, and that the boxer's head is going to stay there when he is countering a strike, like that is something boxers don't face all the time..Or that if he goes in deep (with no grappling) somehow the boxer is automatically out of his element..like there is no clinching and infighting in boxing...
    It's a five minute video, with a one minute rant. He constantly says it is all a possibility. He does the same thing all people do, when they think their art is the best. You over emphasize flaws you see and teach counters. Kind of like what you just did. Yes, boxers clinch.Their clinch is nowhere near as good as Sanda or a muay thai clinch. He says he was an amateur boxer as well. Until I find something different, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh and his "don't worry about defending.." yes, that will go well. Just ignore that swift hook coming towards your temple , concentrate at striking his chest..
    It is no different than a BJJ instructor saying "don't worry about the downward elbow, when you are attempting a shoot." It's context and you are cherry picking his entire point. He is saying if you are going to bridge, bridge, don't worry about defending and other techniques it will change your focus. This is 100% true for dead arts. He's talking to people who do not spar, have no contact experience and generally are terrible. He's catering to his crowd not a boxing students. That is not the same as your implication of "Here comes a right cross,towards your temple, don't worry about defending."
    I don't know, he seems able for sure , but his oversimplifying how to stop a wrestler from grabbing you, or a boxer from punching you say volumes on his actual fighting experience. IMO.
    It is a teaching video. It has to be simplified.
    Am intrigued.
    A nutrider didn't like my post saying, it isn't xingyi it is chun mixed boxing. Basically, I like his concepts, he looks like a great instructor, but his articles are EXTREMELY biased. Let's just say, he'd get reamed if he posted his thoughts on bullshido. This teacher actually posted once in 2010.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 5/30/2013 11:04am at .

Registered Member

Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 10:56am

Style: wing chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was interesting to me wasn't so much of the idea of finding a 'WC solution vs boxing/wrestling', which I think is pretty much impossible, as it was finding ways to connect WC to live fighting.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 11:04am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry Erezb, your post is so full of straw I am going to pound on it because you are attributing things to Izzo that simply aren't in his videos.

What bothered me a little, is that he seems to think wing chun invented counter punching
    Show us where he claimed that.

and that the boxer's head is going to stay there when he is countering a strike
    Again, show us where he claimed that. That's not what I heard him say about boxers.

Or that if he goes in deep (with no grappling) somehow the boxer is automatically out of his element..like there is no clinching and infighting in boxing...
    Nope, he didn't say that either. Nowhere does he say boxers are ever out of their element, or that they can't deal with the Chun. He also clearly has trained some Western boxing, unless you think the example jabs he shows are weak? They sure don't look weak to me.

Oh and his "don't worry about defending.." yes, that will go well.
    Again, your ears don't work. That's not what he said at all.

He's a police officer. I would bet he has more "actual fighting experience" than either of us.

Then there is this video, which leads me to believe he's much stronger, faster, and skilled than most people critiquing his demo videos.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/30/2013 11:08am at .

Welterweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 1:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A nutrider didn't like my post saying, it isn't xingyi it is chun mixed boxing. Basically, I like his concepts, he looks like a great instructor, but his articles are EXTREMELY biased. Let's just say, he'd get reamed if he posted his thoughts on bullshido. This teacher actually posted once in 2010.
    I see. Your right and he kinda owns that he is to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast