5/28/2013 7:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun vs Wrestling...

Name:  china-wing-chun.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  20.5 KB

Ok posting this here in the CMA forum because well its W@~: Ch#n, it may well belong in YMAS, I'll leave that call to the mods.

Also did a very quick search for the specific topic of WC v Wrestling came up nada tho i'm sure its been argued ad infinitum somewhere here.

This vid came up in my YT so I had a look. Guys pretty verbose but affable enough that I didn't turn it off. He's seems to both try and answer the question and avoid it in equal measure plus yeah concepts man concepts...

Wondering what you chunners and wrestlers think, doing neither myself hedging my opinion a bit, overall I think he had some fairly refreshing things to say compared to the usual WC cult think.

Here it is:

Yes sorry its a wingchun thread....

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's different because he admits he is a wrestler. He is also explaining why WC is different from grappling. Much of the crap WC get is because instructors are too arrogant, to admit the things he talks about in his video.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy actually doesn't sound like a lunatic. +1 for Wing Chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 11:53am

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's refreshing to see someone doing real work in the transitions between wrestling and Wing Chun.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 12:08pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great video.

This type of good Chun thread needs the right bad video counterweight to help illuminate the contrast.

I found this one, "Wing Chun vs. Any Style".

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** that certainly is a contrast! How self deluding and dishonest can you get?
    Wonder what the letters MMA stood for in that vid? Maybe Martial Artist? Maybe My Auntie?

I'm a bit depressed now.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 5:59pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is other video by the guy from the OP. He's pretty honest about the Chun, especially the part about boxers being "deadly" and how to avoid the "slappy hands bullshit" image of Wing Chun.

Bravo.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/29/2013 6:12pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 6:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...........and this is why WC gets ****. He even admits that his AMATEUR BOXING is his striking base.
    So, maybe HE is the MMA guy and the other dude represents the Chun? /sarcasm.
    http://ewingchun.com/sifus/jai-harma...%EF%BC%89#more
    Training in the Asian arts began aged 5, Jai Harman has a wealth of knoledge when it comes to martial combat arts. Starting with TKD and Wing Chun(ip chun lineage) moving on to Shaolin Southern Praying Mantis then Bujinkan Ninjitsu (Soke Hatsumi. Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi, Grandmaster Inheriting Soke of 9 Ninjutsu Traditions and. Founder of the Bujinkan Dojo) Then back to home-grown Amateur Boxing for Sharky's Gym in Leeds to build up a striking base.

Finally moving away from England to make a life in China with his Chinese wife and their child, Jai found a diamond in the rough(quite literally), Jai took as his teacher and mentor, Master Wang Zhi Peng of then named Yong Chun Institute of Beijing. The school was located in a very VERY rustic location which meant a 20 minute bicycle ride to the closes bus stop, a 1 hour bus journey to another remote bus stop when a long walk down dusty beaten track past rows and rows of post/pre-war communist propaganda, dead wild animals and street children until he came upon what he called his diamond in the rough.

As mainland China considered their cultural arts a close kept secret, Chinese teachers of the arts had to have special licences to teach to foreigners and this was a major factor in the reclusive location of Wang Zhi Peng's institute. On arrival Jai quickly found out that it was more raw and real then any art he had ever studied before. Fights were un-announced, training was grueling and painful, extreme winters with no heating and unbearable summers with no cooling. After years of group punishment and pain came the Beijing 2008 Olympics.

All non-Beijing citizens and foreigners without tickets had to leave Beijing 6 months before the Olympics started, during the Olympics and 6 months after the Olympics to get the new visa rules in place. As Jai was married to a Chinese citizen, the rules did not apply to him and he had a chance to get personal, 1-on-1 tuition from a Master for over a year. During that year, Master Wang and his wife had a baby and he traveled for 1 month away to Inner Mongolia and his younger Brother, Wang Fei took over the classes. On Wang's return, Jai and Wang sat down and planned out the promotion and development of Ving Tsun in mainland China. The name Beijing Ving Tsun was born and with it 6 new schools opened in succession.

Jai took on the roll of Assistant Instructor for the main school where Wang teaches, Wang Fei took on 2 other schools and Wang also juggles himself between the other 3. Beijing Ving Tsun, now open to all walks of life is a vibrant, colourful and exciting place to be when learning Ving Tsun. During the time Jai and Master Wang Zhi Peng have spent together, Jai has accompanied him on many projects including coordinating on the Yip Man Movies, teaching the leading actress for a new kung fu movie Gong Fu Yong Chun (Kung Fu, Wing Chun), converting and teaching the biggest un-militarized police force in the world the ways of Ving Tsun, defending the schools honor in challenge bouts, many many demonstrations to promote Ving Tsun to the younger (more westernized Chinese kids) and building a legacy for generations of martial artists to come.

To this day, Jai Harman is the closest, most respected and well spoken of by Master Wang Zhi Peng of his thousands of students world wide and domestic. The relationship will prosper and develop for many years to come.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    This is other video by the guy from the OP. He's pretty honest about the Chun, especially the part about boxers being "deadly" and how to avoid the "slappy hands bullshit" image of Wing Chun.

Bravo.

The more I see of this guy the more I like. people have said to me that there are similarities between Xingyi and WC and tbh I have been a bit offended because I have not seen anything WC does that I could relate to. Watching this I see stuff I recognise.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 6:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    ...........and this is why WC gets ****. He even admits that his AMATEUR BOXING is his striking base.
    So, maybe HE is the MMA guy and the other dude represents the Chun? /sarcasm.
    http://ewingchun.com/sifus/jai-harma...%EF%BC%89#more
    Haha certainly seems like it..
    I find people who upload slo mo vids of themselves a bit nauseating. Unless they are really showing some awesome skills.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast