Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 5:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Basic

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Home Defense

What's the best shotgun for home defense? Pump? Semi-auto? What company? Model?

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 9:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim4Prez View Post
    What's the best shotgun for home defense? Pump? Semi-auto? What company? Model?
    Depends on your personal preference and budget but I can cover some basics for you in order of cost.

Lowest end of the spectrum for a perfectly serviceable pump gun would be a used "whatever brand" from a pawnshop, gunshow or trusted friend. Old department store duck guns are usually less than $200, sometimes less than $100 and you can have the barrel cut down to a more handy length. They tend to hold at least three shells, sometimes more. They aren't sophisticated but they go boom just as well as something fancy with rails.

Next up would be a Mossberg 500 series. Get the "security" model with the extended magazine and magnum chamber. Eight in the tube and one in the chamber is nothing to scoff at. Pure defense pump. Lots of aftermarket parts and a quick change barrel system make it easy to configure for sporting purposes if you're so inclined or go all tac n' black if you like exra grips and flashlights and stuff.

After that you've got the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 590a1. This is really a mater of preference. The 870 is much simpler mechanically but has an awkwardly placed safety and a lower capacity (7 rounds). They are very well respected arms. The Mossberg 590a1 is the military issue big brother to the 500. Same capacity, tougher barrel, and a BAYONET LUG! Any M16 bayo will fit on it. Lots of aftermarket parts for both of these and both can be had with factory ghost ring sights (which are FANTASTIC on shotguns, IMHO). Can't really go wrong either way.

Remmy 870

Mossberg 590a1

After that you get into a price tier where you have semi auto tube feds that are picky with ammo, pumps with smoother actions and fancier names but the same function as their cheaper relatives and their incredibly unfair competition, what is probably the single greatest inovation in defensive arms today, the gas powered, semi auto, magazine fed, Kalashnikov Action, Saiga 12.

Barely more than the cost of an 870 will get you started with this (10 round magazine)

But an invesment of labor and $$$ can get you set up like this (20 round drum)

The AK family has a well earned reputation for reliabilty and longevity. Saiga's are built like tanks and are absolute whores when it comes to ammo. Some semi autos are finicky about cycling low power rounds but the Kalashnikov gas piston system is famously forgiving (designed from the begining to be reliable with inconsistent ammo). It really is a great action for shotguning. The heavy, clunky components and somewhat violent bolt movement that impairs the Ak's potential accuracy in rifle chamberings has little impact at "smoothbore" ranges. I'm just surprised nobody thought of it sooner...

AFA loads? That's a whole other post. Personally, I like 12 guage for availability, variety and economy of ammo. 20, 16, .410 whavtever... are expensive and harder to come by. You can get "low base" or "tactical" loads which are not as punishing to the shooter if smaller or more frail individuals need to shoot the gun. There are even "mini shells", 3/4" shot shells with a negligeable kick and the advantage of enabling high capacities in tube magazines. You'll have to make your own choices considering power and penetration based on your personal circumstances, but there are a world of option out there for you. For serious social work a lot of people just go for old 00 buck (there is a penetration consideration here though!). If you really want to wreck some **** load Buck & Ball. If your aim is decent you can kill anything that lives on land with a magnum 12 gauge slug. Don't fire slugs through a choke. If you see the boogie man, use one of these:
    Last edited by Mr. Machette; 5/27/2013 9:05pm at .

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also where also can influence this choice. While I personally love to buy myself a Saiga 12 they are a pain in the ass to get where I live (CA). We can have them but they have to have a "bullet" button and that sort of defeats the purpose. Where you live also can affect how you accessorize your shotgun.

and

are both Remmy 870s I personally would prefer the 1st one for home defense but once again the problem of where I live comes up.

I think you most likely be fine with most of the big named shotguns as reliability and the whatnot goes so your next step is to go to a range where you can try out several of them and put some lead down range and see what you like.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 10:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also not to be an asshole but I am studying for a security cert right now so for my own selfish reasons I am going to take a look at this through the "control types".

so here is the list of security controls:

• Deterrent Discourage a potential attacker
    Having a house that doesn't look like an easy target

• Preventive Stop an incident from occurring
    So this is a good place to start make sure your domicile is hard to breach.
    So for example start with
    http://www.wikihow.com/Burglarproof-Your-Doors

• Corrective Fix items after an incident has occurred
    This is where your firearm comes in. It is also important to have a plan of action that has been rehearsed.

• Recovery Restore necessary components to return to normal
    operations
    Have homeowners/renters insurance

• Detective Identify an incident’s activities after it took place
    Have something that alerts you to a breach.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty much what Machette said early.

Pump shotgun.

or

Nobody has mention the venerable old double barrel shotgun. Yeah, you only get two shots off quickly, but you're talking home self defense.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	743538_01_coach_shotgun_double_barrel_sh_640.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	14914

Good bang for the buck and still have firepower if you truly can't hit the broad side of a barn? You can't go wrong with the 870 and it's to be found anywhere. Mossberg's are to shotguns what Ruger is to handguns. Good bang for the buck and reliable for life.

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 12:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just having a random think.

Cheap pump shotgun would fire what, about 10 rounds of buckshot in 3 seconds at people who are mabye 10 meters away and trapped in a hallway.

I am going to suggest that would probably do the job.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 5/28/2013 12:58am at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 8:20am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll echo what everyone else said. Shotguns are all good. It's really hard to go wrong, even with Grandpa's old double barrel. I tend to prefer the Mossbergs for tactical applications but it's really a matter of preference.

I'll also throw the Remington 11-87 out there if you're interested in semiautos. It tends to be forgotten in these discussions but I'd rather have the 11-87 than the 1100.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Mossbergs. I've owned a few for years with no problems. I still use my father's 20g Mossberg that he hunted squirrels with when he was a kid. Still works like new. Mossberg 500s is what I use for most stuff, and that is what we use in LEO work. Some with shorter barrels.

And they are fun to shoot!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 12:24pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you scroll quickly through Mr. Machette's post it looks like the evolution of a shotgun Pokemon.

Not sure why I felt the need to post that random thought.

Carry on.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benelli makes quality shotguns as well. On par with Mossberg and Remington. Similarly priced. I've got the Supernova and love it:

http://www.basspro.com/Benelli-12-Ga...duct/10218232/
    Last edited by goshinbudoJJ; 5/28/2013 12:37pm at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast