Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:01pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I was part of the very, very early testing for this gear, which uses a similar substance:

I don't think I've ever seen it applied to making protective gloves.
    Yup. That's D3O. It is another fluid that gets hard on contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/28/2013 9:05pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    Yup. That's D3O. It is another fluid that gets hard on contact.
    Any idea what happens if you strike something with D3O or a similar substance? In my mind it would be equal to strapping on liquid knuckle dusters. But then; I've had zero experience with such substances and am only going on ill thought out college physics which doesn't take into consideration displacement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 11:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignoscant View Post
    Any idea what happens if you strike something with D3O or a similar substance? In my mind it would be equal to strapping on liquid knuckle dusters. But then; I've had zero experience with such substances and am only going on ill thought out college physics which doesn't take into consideration displacement.
    Sorry for the late reply. Let me describe the experience first, and then the science:

As for the experience, it kind of feels like a water ballon at first (as long as you don't squeeze too hard), but on impact it gets stiff and rubbery. One non-newtonian fluid we all have some experience with is silly-putty. Silly-putty flows much slower and isn't quite as strong, but you can get the idea from that stuff. Another option, if you want to play with some non-newtonian fluids, is oobleck (2 parts cornstarch to 1 part water), which you can make in your kitchen.

As far as the science goes, it seems like there are a few different ways to make those properties happen, but it all comes down to two different competing interactions, one short range and one just a little bit longer range.

Usually it means a two part mixture with large and small molecules/particles. Under normal circumstances, the large particles primarily interact with the nearby small molecules, but once you apply some pressure, the larger particles reach right past the smaller molecules and interact directly with each other.

Hopefully that helps without getting too technical.
    Last edited by Dr_Awesome; 5/31/2013 11:30pm at .

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 1:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima/rapier/longsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How durable is this solution? Has anyone ever tried D3O protective gear? I do love the physics and the video's are amazing :D

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 2:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Totally random question: would armor water shot out of a high pressure hose hit the target like a solid?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 5:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** the Iron Palm training, I just need those gloves!

Seriously cool stuff. Awesome!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by anyaki View Post
    How durable is this solution? Has anyone ever tried D3O protective gear? I do love the physics and the video's are amazing :D
    Super durable. The weak point isn't the fluid. That stuff can take a hell of a beating. The weak point is whatever material you are using to contain it. If it's too tough, you lose dexterity, but too thin, and it will break/tear.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 11:32pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Totally random question: would armor water shot out of a high pressure hose hit the target like a solid?
    Heh. It would probably break the pump before you got any of it out of the nozzle. As far as I can tell, the only reasonable way to get it from one container to another is a funnel and extreme patience. The second you try to "help" it move, it pushes back like and refuses to cooperate.

A lot of he initial research done on non-Newtonian fluids was actually along the lines of "how do I get this stuff out of my machines" and they were considered more of a nuisance than anything else.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123