Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 8:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

More nerdiness. Yes there is a anime/comic thread. No, I do not care.

In comics, back when I started reading, graphic novels were original stories of your favorite characters. Many were one of stories that had nothing to do with continuity. Sometimes, they were called trade paperbacks. Now, TPBs usually contain 5 to six issue collections, of one entire story arc, for an ongoing comic series. Sometimes the Graphic Novels are so acclaimed, they end up being put into actual comic continuity.

Also, there is another type of comic book called the Prestige Format. This term has basically fell out of use and highly argued. When I learned the term, it was for books that were printed on higher quality paper and were usually a 4-6 issue limited series.

In this thread, I will discuss some that I find worthy of checking out, even if you aren't into comics. All of these stories can be found in TPB or hardcover form. Sometimes, the Hardcover has extras like a DVD.

Obviously, Kingdom Come is first. This is an "ElseWorlds" story. Basically, this means it is a story that happens outside of DC's normal comic continuity. Originally it was a 4 issue Prestige format limited series published in 1996.

Kingdom Come takes place in the future of the DC Universe where Superman has quit being a hero. There is an event that causes people to think Superman's morality is outdated. He becomes a recluse and lives on his long dead parents farm. He only comes back, to imprison all of the super criminals of the world, when a catastrophic event happens that cause him to become judge and jury.

What makes it interesting is the future take on all of the heroes you know and many you don't. I wasn't into DC, I actually only knew the Super Friends. So, this is a very non-nerdy and accessible book for new readers. You just need to know the basics of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. Yes, even if it is from the TV shows, movies and the recent JLA cartoons. Even if you don't, there is beautiful artwork by Alex Ross. That is what made me by the books in the first place.

Now this was so well received that DC decided to make a sequel which Suuuuuuuuuucked. Ignore it do not buy. It was terrible. So, you would know how terrible it sounded when they announced a continuity jump, into the regular DC Universe, over 10 years later. It worked, but it is to nerdy to recommend. Unlike Kingdom Come, Thy Kingdom Come is actually an in continuity story in the Justice Society of America.
    It's also how Magog became relevant in the main DC universe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 2:39am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm not much a manga fan, but recently got into Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan, because they started streaming the show and I love the artwork.
    This series is really good, I don't know how far the anime is, but in the manga they've started doing stuff like triangles and arm bars

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 1:36pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Future Imperfect by Peter David.

Originally, this was a 2 issue prestige format book.
    Now, this is good, but a little out of reach for non-hulk fans. The Hulk has been merged because Peter David decided to move forward from "HULK SMASH." This Hulk until later was a perfect amalgam of Banner and Hulk. He had all of Banner's smarts and the uncontrollable and limitless rage strength from the Hulk. It is a Time Travel Story where the current hulk meets himself fully enraged in a dystopian future that he controls.

Make sure, if you chose to buy this trade, you purchase the collection with the exquisite one shot
    Hulk: The End.

IMO, this is better than Future: Imperfect. Again, it is a dystopian future where the hulk has survived. This time, the hulk is in his child like "hulk smash" form. This story is actually an introspection into the psyche of Banner and the Hulk.

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 2:54pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No love for Gaiman here?

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2013 2:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was strictly Marvel for a long time. Heard good things, but have never read anything he has produced.

Also, he is bringing his shitty Angela character into Marvel.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/28/2013 6:10pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oops, I lied, I have read something by Gaiman.
    - Marvel 1602 (the original)

It is basically a story of Heroes appearing 400 years earlier in the Marvel Universe. It is actually a good story even if you aren't familiar with the main Marvel characters.

Thanos Quest:

If you like the Marvel Universe movies, this is a must read. Thanos is the character that appears at the end of The Avengers. He is also the character who assembled the gauntlet you see for a split second in Thor the movie.

The Soul Gems are used by the self titled Elders of the Universe. Each Gem grants these being a different power. Staring into the pool of infinity, while trying to woo Marvel's Death,

Thanos discovers their true power.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 6:55am

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Written by Steve Gerber, creator of Howard the Duck. Omega the Unknown tells the story of a genius child with a strange, psychic link to a kung-fu instructor with an indestructible skull. A lot of unique storytelling that was pretty advanced for when it was written, definitely ahead of its time. Pressure to keep with the status quo and focus on ordinary superhero action-adventure really kept it from fulfilling its potential. The 2007 reboot by Jonathan Lethem apparently did away with that problem, although I have yet to read it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/29/2013 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody want to see this as a story?

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    7/02/2013 11:51am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quiver. By Kevin Smith.
    Name:  512PSZY19XL._SY346_.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  23.1 KB
    Yes, *that* Kevin Smith.
    It's the story of Green Arrow's inevitable resurrection after dying in the 90's; except instead of 1990's Green Arrow coming back from the dead, 1970's Green Arrow is resurrected instead, blissfully unaware of the passage of time.
    It's amazing.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 5:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Planetary:
    Granted this was a series that ran for a few years with a HUGE break before the last few issues. This is for nerds, but is still highly accessible. Before they were merged/purchased by DC Comics, Wildstorm had their own company. For me, the two best titles were The Authority and Planetary.

Planetary is basically a secret organization that tracked superhuman acticivities for centuries. One of their new operatives awakes with a memory loss and spends the series trying to find out what happened. What Warren Ellis did was initially take similar stories and add a Superheo twist to them. The issue that made me pickup the book was:

Yes, this is an homage to Monster Island from the Godzilla movies. They also tweak Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan, Superman, Fantastic Four and quite a few other stories before the story pick up steam with Snow, the amnesiac protagonist, and the full search for his memory.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/20/2013 5:32pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast