Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 4:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Trade Paperbacks Graphic Novels you should read.

More nerdiness. Yes there is a anime/comic thread. No, I do not care.

In comics, back when I started reading, graphic novels were original stories of your favorite characters. Many were one of stories that had nothing to do with continuity. Sometimes, they were called trade paperbacks. Now, TPBs usually contain 5 to six issue collections, of one entire story arc, for an ongoing comic series. Sometimes the Graphic Novels are so acclaimed, they end up being put into actual comic continuity.

Also, there is another type of comic book called the Prestige Format. This term has basically fell out of use and highly argued. When I learned the term, it was for books that were printed on higher quality paper and were usually a 4-6 issue limited series.

In this thread, I will discuss some that I find worthy of checking out, even if you aren't into comics. All of these stories can be found in TPB or hardcover form. Sometimes, the Hardcover has extras like a DVD.

Obviously, Kingdom Come is first. This is an "ElseWorlds" story. Basically, this means it is a story that happens outside of DC's normal comic continuity. Originally it was a 4 issue Prestige format limited series published in 1996.

Kingdom Come takes place in the future of the DC Universe where Superman has quit being a hero. There is an event that causes people to think Superman's morality is outdated. He becomes a recluse and lives on his long dead parents farm. He only comes back, to imprison all of the super criminals of the world, when a catastrophic event happens that cause him to become judge and jury.

What makes it interesting is the future take on all of the heroes you know and many you don't. I wasn't into DC, I actually only knew the Super Friends. So, this is a very non-nerdy and accessible book for new readers. You just need to know the basics of Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman. Yes, even if it is from the TV shows, movies and the recent JLA cartoons. Even if you don't, there is beautiful artwork by Alex Ross. That is what made me by the books in the first place.

Now this was so well received that DC decided to make a sequel which Suuuuuuuuuucked. Ignore it do not buy. It was terrible. So, you would know how terrible it sounded when they announced a continuity jump, into the regular DC Universe, over 10 years later. It worked, but it is to nerdy to recommend. Unlike Kingdom Come, Thy Kingdom Come is actually an in continuity story in the Justice Society of America.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not much a manga fan, but recently got into Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan, because they started streaming the show and I love the artwork.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DC just collected the first year of the Dial H for Hero reboot, written by fantasist China Mieville, in trade paper. I'd recommend that.

For manga, I like the humor manga I'll Give It My All...Tomorrow.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 5:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't read;

"Wanted"

Then you can hate the movie.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 5:48pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to clarify. I will recommend strictly TPBs or Prestige format comics. Please post anything as long as it is related to comics.

I read Wanted AFTER the movie. I am glad because I didn't understand the nerd rage until I read the Graphic Novel.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, in that case check out the hardback of Alabaster: Wolves by Caitlin Kiernan. Dark Horse.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 6:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lone Wolf and Cub

Name:  230px-Lone_Wolf_manga.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  27.7 KB

I'm not an authority or anything, but it's the greatest Manga I've ever read.

There are 28 volumes.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Transmetropolitan works pretty well as a TPB. Strontium Dog, not so much - it's weird to read it again and see how kid oriented it is.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 7:18pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's one from Vertigo after they were purchased by DC.

This was purchased on a lark. I liked Grant Morrison's X-Men run except for a twin murdering his sister as psychic babies in utero. Don't ask it was duuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmbbbbbb.

Anyway, it is a story about cybernetic animals, three obviously, that escape a military compound where they were created. I was surprised because it was a very cool 3 issue story. Yes, the cover was ridiculed and why I avoided it at first.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, not a tpb yet, but a friend of a friend of mine has a new series out now that looks like it might be decent. It's called "Half Passed Danger" - it's got dinosaurs fighting Nazis and all that kind of stuff. His name is Stephen Mooney, and I think it's out on IDW.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast