Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 4:15pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

FMA: What to expect?

Howdy . I went to my first kali class the other day.
    I became interested watching a guy who teaches it use some pretty impressive footwork in sparring and watching some vids on teh youtube.
    It looks decent on that level; the knife and stick stuff really interests me.
    There is some trapping-type stuff that reminds me of kung-fu (I ain't really sold on kung fu, to be honest).
    Would love some feedback on what to expect and if it's compatible with ammy boxing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What sort of FMA?

This is probably better handled in the Southeast Asian martial arts forum; it'll probably be moved there.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 5:03pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by justsome View Post
    Howdy . I went to my first kali class the other day.
    I became interested watching a guy who teaches it use some pretty impressive footwork in sparring and watching some vids on teh youtube.
    It looks decent on that level; the knife and stick stuff really interests me.
    There is some trapping-type stuff that reminds me of kung-fu (I ain't really sold on kung fu, to be honest).
    Would love some feedback on what to expect and if it's compatible with ammy boxing.
    It annoys me that you have been a member of this site for more than two years, and you thought a general question like yours would be appropriate for an advanced forum.

Please take a second to think about the context of your question before you choose in which forum to post.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 5:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Expect bruised up wrists and forearms. Some Jow definitely helps the sting. You'll get used to it.

A couple things I really gained from FMA were sensitivity (I'm an evasive mofo now), mobility (zoning), accuracy (like voodoo) and speed (combos like WHOA!). It's great for basic coordination too. The drills are fluid and fun. Excellent medium impact excersize.

Expect to make some lifelong freinds too! IDK how your FMA family rolls, but the people I've trained with have all been "old world hospitable". Really generous and welcoming people. No "secret techniques". No "cult of personality". Just awesome teachers who wanted to share their knowlege and preserve the arts. Some were more conservative and tougher on the classes than others, but all have been dedicated to their students success 110%. I'm sure there's exceptions out there, but I have yet to meet them. (This is comming from someone who's cross trained here and there with @ six or seven different schools.)

AFA boxing? Not being a serious boxer myself I can't say definitively, but I did train with a lot of people in FMA who had boxing backgrounds and they all seemed to think they mixed well.

There's even subset within FMA called Panaktukan that is specifically fisticuffs, though it's a tad dirty for the ol' Marquis of Qeensberry if you get my drift. I've also heard it refered to as "Mano e' Mano" depending on the school and it's lineage. Though the "Mano e' Mano" I've seen involved a lot of open hands and Dumog (grappling) techniques that wouldn't apply in a "boxing match".

Have fun, mang!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What style of FMA? This **** can vary wildly in training methods.

What you should expect at first though is probably a 12 angle system, triangular footwork and lots of flow drills of various kinds.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:24pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know which system you're going to be training. Styles that emphasize corto.and medio range tend to focus on reflexes and speed.while largo systems seem to hit harder on footwork and distancing.of course all if the mentioned attributes are present in both approaches but in my experience certain skills are more vital depending on the approach a system has to fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 8:56am

Style: muay thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm not versed in FMA at all; I'll be sure to ask about the specific style.
    The forearms are bruised up already.