Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 11:35am

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    Sunday morning open mat :)

I'll be the tall, skinny white dude with his wife and kids rolling around everywhere.

You probably saw my wife at BJJ for Jake. She's the sassy puerto rican chick (white belt).

Don't tell her I said that. She's dangerous now.
    Lol yeah. I think she grabbed a ton of cookies for the kids. I am thinking about checking out one of Sensei Barry's JJJ classes, since I like that stuff too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 12:00pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The wife and I are training at 2 clubs, though with 3 coaches atm. Frostbite Vale Tudo is where we train BJJ, but, aside from my long time coach, there is now also a Eddie Bravo purple belt doing 10th planet No gi on Tuesdays/Thursdays there.

We train Judo at North Star Judo (which is part of Alaska Krav Maga). We were planning on testing for our yellow belts last night, but she ended up going to a 5k/wine tasting with a friend so I hung out with the kiddo. Next week!

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 1:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by xstyle View Post
    @ Rivington: A Sunday class! Cool. Thats the only day all my clubs are closed therefore only day I don't train (would go if they had classes). I usually make it a running day.
    You're a busy guy!

Taiji takes place in a park, so there's nothing to close. Shuai-jiao is in another grappling gym, and the teacher is trading sparring time with the gym's students for opening the school on Sunday for a couple of hours. Fixed costs and all that—I pay the gym, not my teacher, and he benefits by having a wider pool of high-level people to spar with during the week.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    Lol yeah. I think she grabbed a ton of cookies for the kids. I am thinking about checking out one of Sensei Barry's JJJ classes, since I like that stuff too.
    Haven't made it down to Sensei Barry's class yet. Thursday nights I go to my JJJ class and Saturday AM I help out with the kids classes. I've heard great things about it though. The BJJ/Judo guys that train with him say he's a hardcore dude.... which I tend to believe since I consider the BJJ/Judo guys pretty hardcore themselves.

If I'm not mistaken, Sensei Barry is also fairly accomplished in Judo (Shodan?). You guys would probably get along very well.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't made it down to Sensei Barry's class yet. Thursday nights I go to my JJJ class and Saturday AM I help out with the kids classes. I've heard great things about it though. The BJJ/Judo guys that train with him say he's a hardcore dude.... which I tend to believe since I consider the BJJ/Judo guys pretty hardcore themselves.

If I'm not mistaken, Sensei Barry is also fairly accomplished in Judo (Shodan?). You guys would probably get along very well.

Where do you do JJJ?
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you do JJJ?
    Goshinkan, over in Merrick. Honestly, I'd rather go to a second Judo class on Thursday nights since I'm really getting into it, but I've been at Goshinkan for a long time and have a ton of friends there.

I've been trying to introduce some more "aliveness" into the training methods at Goshinkan... it's been a bit of a struggle. A lot of the students are gung-ho, but my instructor is kind of set in his ways. He's slowly coming around... it will take some time.

It pains me to say this, but I'd probably recommend training with Sensei Barry and seeing what his class is all about. I think they tend to go a little harder at Team Combat... and the facility is fantastic.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goshinkan, over in Merrick. Honestly, I'd rather go to a second Judo class on Thursday nights since I'm really getting into it, but I've been at Goshinkan for a long time and have a ton of friends there.

I've been trying to introduce some more "aliveness" into the training methods at Goshinkan... it's been a bit of a struggle. A lot of the students are gung-ho, but my instructor is kind of set in his ways. He's slowly coming around... it will take some time.

It pains me to say this, but I'd probably recommend training with Sensei Barry and seeing what his class is all about. I think they tend to go a little harder at Team Combat... and the facility is fantastic.

Barry's JJJ style seems to be a mix of Judo, BJJ and Karate, and I know they spar. When I got there for Judo for Jake, he was just finishing pad work with his students.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train in 2 different clubs, and by clubs I mean garages. I also stop by the old kung fu place to see my old sifu a few times a year.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Barry's JJJ style seems to be a mix of Judo, BJJ and Karate, and I know they spar. When I got there for Judo for Jake, he was just finishing pad work with his students.

They definitely do quite a bit of hard sparring and pad work. We do a lot of padwork at Goshinkan, but the sparring leaves a lot to be desired...

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 2:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They definitely do quite a bit of hard sparring and pad work. We do a lot of padwork at Goshinkan, but the sparring leaves a lot to be desired...
    I feel your pain. That is the reason why I left the TKD school I was teaching at.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast