• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 6:35am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can find on youtube some nice stuff. bag workouts etc.

Just be careful not to injure yourself, you can easily break something if punching incorrectly. Wear wrist wraps! correctly ( ). Use a lot of head movement and as much foot work as you can in your situation. Imagine the bag is an opponent all the time, it will help you keep your hands up, use faints, bloks etc. It is a fight.
    You need a stop watch, and train in rounds. If you are not fit, start with two minute rounds with 1 minute rest. Progress to 3 minutes rounds, and try and reach 10 rounds at least.
    If you are already fit enough, u can make a "regular" round much harder by adding 20 sec "sprints" to your regular boxing routine, the sprint can be a continues 1,2 as fast and hard as you can, or focusing on any other combo you want, just repeating it as fast and hard as you can for 20 secs and than continuing boxing regularly. If you can get 1-3 of those per round for a few rounds, it will seriously make it harder. Those intervals can also be push ups, or burpees etc.
    Another real hard routine is to box for three minutes and instead of resting for one, you do pushups and squats etc. (For me it is too much).
    If you are working the bag for cardio and such, switch stances every other round to get a 50/50 symmetrical work out.
    You do need another exercise routine for a great cardio, and i recommend running at least once a week to supplement bag workout. You can even do both at the same time, starting with a 15 minutes jog as a warmup, and than a 10 rounder..for a good solid cardio workout. (forgot to mention jump rope..)

I assumed you have basic technique, that you can punch and kick correctly and that is why you chose a heavy bag to put in your room. If not, you need to learn how to punch correctly before using said bag...

If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 3:11am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks! By the way, will these work the same way as a wrist wrap?

http://www.lp-support.com/product/

Under Body Protection -> Wrist

or this
    http://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Trai...0938165&sr=1-3

I know the wraps are simpler, but for laziness and convenience's sake, I was wondering if I could save time and money by getting something that is reusable and easy to setup.

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 4:50am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you need support for your wrist and hand, what ever you use it should prevent your fist from bending more than about 30-40 degrees. It should also support the metacarpals.
    It could definitely work, though probably not as good as wrist wraps. (After 5-7 times of use u would put them quickly..).
    If the bag is heavy, and you use it for many rounds, and often, do yourself a favor and invest a few bucks in good hand wraps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 7:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that youtube link showing how to punch hard and fast still around? Can't seem to find it. Basically, it's a bald guy showing how to end the fight with a punch and that he has never done it on a live opponent because he might break something. The method is somewhat like throwing your elbow but converting it into a punch at the last minute. I think he was using a wavemaster. Memory is vague.

Anyway, want to incorporate it into my workout as well, because my straight punch is still slow for my taste.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 8:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind. I found it. Tried Google this time and kept adding words until something came up.

Ron Lipton Demonstrations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/05/2013 8:34am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude. That's just a reverse punch from a good guard. He's finishes it in a front stance Doesn't your Taekwondo instructor teach you to do that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 2:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the principles, yes. Twisting the arm and hip, for instance. The whole shoulder/forearm ramming thing and punch at the last minute is the different approach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 7:36am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure the forearm smash thing was just him comparing a similar movement from a popular sport to the punch. I wouldn't worry leading with your forearm. Then again I'm no boxer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/08/2013 11:11am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    erezb has given you some good information, but please let me narrow this down to the important bits:

(1) Use hand wraps. Use hand wraps. Use hand wraps. All that other crap is just that - crap. Pros don't use it - and neither should you.

(2) Using youtube to learn technique is bad. That's what we pay instructors for. I'm not saying Ron's instruction is bad - but part of the feedback loop you need to get better is missing.

(3) Build good technique before seeking power or speed. Lots of shadowboxing friend. Proper technique = speed + power.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12