223580 Bullies, 4091 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 19
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Corum Irsei is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:06pm


     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Help with training in my apartment

    Now that I'm settled in with my evening schedule and pattern, I want to focus on my workout at home.

    I bought an Everlast Heavy Bag stand ( http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-4812B...xp_grid_pt_0_0 ) because the landlady doesn't allow modifications/drilling done to the walls. I considered using a Wavemaster, but feel that it would slide/move a lot. So, now that I have a punching bag stand, all that I need to buy is a bag.

    What weight of bag would be good for me? I am 5'7" and 155lbs. Is there a science to selecting bag weights?

    How much counterweights/plates do I need to buy? 1:1?

    Does hitting a bag (punching and kicking practices) improve endurance on its own or do I still need to supplement it with running/cardio?
  2. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:14pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The description says no more than a 100 lbs bag...

    Have you researched your options and thought this through ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  3. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,225

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 12:51am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sincerely hope you live on the ground floor. Otherwise, your neighbors will grow to not like you.
  4. Corum Irsei is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 3:49am


     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    The description says no more than a 100 lbs bag...

    Have you researched your options and thought this through ?
    I did. The numbers varied depending on the site and person that I visited/asked, but the most commonly purchased weights for those that are starting out range from 60-90lbs. Since I am just starting out, I feel that a limit of 100lbs is satisfactory both price-wise and experience-wise. There were other alternatives, but they covered a larger floor space, which I do not have the luxury of, due to the addition of another hook and beam at the opposite end.

    Now, with those other non-stand alternatives, I couldn't find a wooden dummy or a padded dummy. The wavemaster was also a bad idea on paper because apart from the fact that I would need sand to fill it (to minimize displacement), it not only would slide more, but seems more fragile compared to a metal bag stand. Also, I am stuck with whatever bag that is attached to it, whereas with a stand, I could change the bag weight and length.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I sincerely hope you live on the ground floor. Otherwise, your neighbors will grow to not like you.
    Really that bad?

    3rd floor. The room below me is the maintenance and supply room. Landlady said that it was ok (and I let her sign a letter saying such), so I guess I am in the clear.
  5. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,627

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 8:44am

    supporting member
     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corum Irsei View Post
    I did. The numbers varied depending on the site and person that I visited/asked, but the most commonly purchased weights for those that are starting out range from 60-90lbs. Since I am just starting out, I feel that a limit of 100lbs is satisfactory both price-wise and experience-wise. There were other alternatives, but they covered a larger floor space, which I do not have the luxury of, due to the addition of another hook and beam at the opposite end.

    Now, with those other non-stand alternatives, I couldn't find a wooden dummy or a padded dummy. The wavemaster was also a bad idea on paper because apart from the fact that I would need sand to fill it (to minimize displacement), it not only would slide more, but seems more fragile compared to a metal bag stand. Also, I am stuck with whatever bag that is attached to it, whereas with a stand, I could change the bag weight and length.



    Really that bad?

    3rd floor. The room below me is the maintenance and supply room. Landlady said that it was ok (and I let her sign a letter saying such), so I guess I am in the clear.

    You are going to **** something up. Say goodbye to your security deposit.
  6. Earl Weiss is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    179

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:18am


     Style: TKD & JJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in the olden days we always took great pride in using heavier bags 90-100lbs+. After decades of kicking them the joints started to rebel and suffer wear and tear. Then I read in one of he Il Cho's books that he reccomended 60lbs max saying it was enough to test and develop power and not be too punishing on the body.

    Now, there may need to be some allowance for the weight of the practitioner. A 160lb person could probably do with a lighter bag than a 260lb person.
  7. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:41am

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a stand kind of like that one. Good luck not kicking the support bars when you kick the bag! I did it a few times, until I finally started zoning off to the left before I kick. Which is fine too. The main problem I have with this set up is that you can't work on footwork very well. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 110lb Grant bag, I weight about 235lbs. Actually I have a few bags, but that's the one I use. The 70lb bag is ok, but swings too much for my licking. I had a 50lbs bag which may as well be a freaking balloon for all the flying it did.

    I personally would go as heavy as you can stand. It will be good conditioning for your shins and hands. Are you doing Thai kicks(shin) or TKD kicks(feet)? If shins, heavy is better.

    The other thing is what you want to do with it. If you are wanting to practice uppercuts, they have bags for that. Low kicks, bags for that. Leather, senthetic, canvas are all to be considered. They also have some crazy water bags. So make sure you know what you are looking for. Canvas bags eat up your hands if you punch them without wraps or gloves. They also settle realy bad so you will have to take it off the hanger to let the stuffing go back to the top.

    Lot's of stuff out there. You can usually find one cheep on craig's list because people buy bags all the time, then realize that they actually have to use them to get any benefit from them. Then sell them because they use them for two weeks then quit.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  8. svt2026 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Carol Stream, IL
    Posts
    180

    Posted On:
    5/24/2013 9:57am


     Style: hapkido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've got a stand kind of like that one. Good luck not kicking the support bars when you kick the bag! I did it a few times, until I finally started zoning off to the left before I kick. Which is fine too. The main problem I have with this set up is that you can't work on footwork very well. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 110lb Grant bag, I weight about 235lbs. Actually I have a few bags, but that's the one I use. The 70lb bag is ok, but swings too much for my licking. I had a 50lbs bag which may as well be a freaking balloon for all the flying it did.

    I personally would go as heavy as you can stand. It will be good conditioning for your shins and hands. Are you doing Thai kicks(shin) or TKD kicks(feet)? If shins, heavy is better.

    The other thing is what you want to do with it. If you are wanting to practice uppercuts, they have bags for that. Low kicks, bags for that. Leather, senthetic, canvas are all to be considered. They also have some crazy water bags. So make sure you know what you are looking for. Canvas bags eat up your hands if you punch them without wraps or gloves. They also settle realy bad so you will have to take it off the hanger to let the stuffing go back to the top.

    Lot's of stuff out there. You can usually find one cheep on craig's list because people buy bags all the time, then realize that they actually have to use them to get any benefit from them. Then sell them because they use them for two weeks then quit.
    What he said is about everything you need to know. With the stand you will have limited movement for sure. I save on buying weights to keep the stand down and used sandbags. You will definitely make a lot of noise the stand will bound and move no matter how much weights you put on it. Also its loud to your neighbors next you you, I have mine in the basement and my wife complains its sounds like the walls are falling down.
  9. jedtex88 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    5/27/2013 4:47am


     Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like the beginning of a DIY article on drywall. If you put the stand anywhere near the wall always make sure it's not too close to it before you start practicing. Is it too late to return it and get a wave master to put in the middle of the the room? They don't slide too much with 300 lbs. of sand in the base.
  10. Corum Irsei is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26

    Posted On:
    6/08/2013 12:40am


     Style: Taekwondo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I am unable to return it. The good news is that there was space in the corner beside the bathroom as opposed to the wall separating me from the neighbor. Did reckless pounding on it for a minute just to test if the neighbors would hear/feel anything and fortunately they didn't. My brother also didn't feel anything from the hallway outside. I bought an 80-lb bag since it feels like a good number in between what diesel and earl said.

    Still planning out my daily routine with the bag, because so far I feel that I am just doing random drills without a set system.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.