Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:06pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help with training in my apartment

Now that I'm settled in with my evening schedule and pattern, I want to focus on my workout at home.

I bought an Everlast Heavy Bag stand ( http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-4812B...xp_grid_pt_0_0 ) because the landlady doesn't allow modifications/drilling done to the walls. I considered using a Wavemaster, but feel that it would slide/move a lot. So, now that I have a punching bag stand, all that I need to buy is a bag.

What weight of bag would be good for me? I am 5'7" and 155lbs. Is there a science to selecting bag weights?

How much counterweights/plates do I need to buy? 1:1?

Does hitting a bag (punching and kicking practices) improve endurance on its own or do I still need to supplement it with running/cardio?

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The description says no more than a 100 lbs bag...

Have you researched your options and thought this through ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 12:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sincerely hope you live on the ground floor. Otherwise, your neighbors will grow to not like you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 3:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    The description says no more than a 100 lbs bag...

Have you researched your options and thought this through ?
    I did. The numbers varied depending on the site and person that I visited/asked, but the most commonly purchased weights for those that are starting out range from 60-90lbs. Since I am just starting out, I feel that a limit of 100lbs is satisfactory both price-wise and experience-wise. There were other alternatives, but they covered a larger floor space, which I do not have the luxury of, due to the addition of another hook and beam at the opposite end.

Now, with those other non-stand alternatives, I couldn't find a wooden dummy or a padded dummy. The wavemaster was also a bad idea on paper because apart from the fact that I would need sand to fill it (to minimize displacement), it not only would slide more, but seems more fragile compared to a metal bag stand. Also, I am stuck with whatever bag that is attached to it, whereas with a stand, I could change the bag weight and length.

Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I sincerely hope you live on the ground floor. Otherwise, your neighbors will grow to not like you.
    Really that bad?

3rd floor. The room below me is the maintenance and supply room. Landlady said that it was ok (and I let her sign a letter saying such), so I guess I am in the clear.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 8:44am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Corum Irsei View Post
    I did. The numbers varied depending on the site and person that I visited/asked, but the most commonly purchased weights for those that are starting out range from 60-90lbs. Since I am just starting out, I feel that a limit of 100lbs is satisfactory both price-wise and experience-wise. There were other alternatives, but they covered a larger floor space, which I do not have the luxury of, due to the addition of another hook and beam at the opposite end.

Now, with those other non-stand alternatives, I couldn't find a wooden dummy or a padded dummy. The wavemaster was also a bad idea on paper because apart from the fact that I would need sand to fill it (to minimize displacement), it not only would slide more, but seems more fragile compared to a metal bag stand. Also, I am stuck with whatever bag that is attached to it, whereas with a stand, I could change the bag weight and length.

Really that bad?

3rd floor. The room below me is the maintenance and supply room. Landlady said that it was ok (and I let her sign a letter saying such), so I guess I am in the clear.

You are going to **** something up. Say goodbye to your security deposit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:18am

Style: TKD & JJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in the olden days we always took great pride in using heavier bags 90-100lbs+. After decades of kicking them the joints started to rebel and suffer wear and tear. Then I read in one of he Il Cho's books that he reccomended 60lbs max saying it was enough to test and develop power and not be too punishing on the body.

Now, there may need to be some allowance for the weight of the practitioner. A 160lb person could probably do with a lighter bag than a 260lb person.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:41am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a stand kind of like that one. Good luck not kicking the support bars when you kick the bag! I did it a few times, until I finally started zoning off to the left before I kick. Which is fine too. The main problem I have with this set up is that you can't work on footwork very well. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 110lb Grant bag, I weight about 235lbs. Actually I have a few bags, but that's the one I use. The 70lb bag is ok, but swings too much for my licking. I had a 50lbs bag which may as well be a freaking balloon for all the flying it did.

I personally would go as heavy as you can stand. It will be good conditioning for your shins and hands. Are you doing Thai kicks(shin) or TKD kicks(feet)? If shins, heavy is better.

The other thing is what you want to do with it. If you are wanting to practice uppercuts, they have bags for that. Low kicks, bags for that. Leather, senthetic, canvas are all to be considered. They also have some crazy water bags. So make sure you know what you are looking for. Canvas bags eat up your hands if you punch them without wraps or gloves. They also settle realy bad so you will have to take it off the hanger to let the stuffing go back to the top.

Lot's of stuff out there. You can usually find one cheep on craig's list because people buy bags all the time, then realize that they actually have to use them to get any benefit from them. Then sell them because they use them for two weeks then quit.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 9:57am

Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've got a stand kind of like that one. Good luck not kicking the support bars when you kick the bag! I did it a few times, until I finally started zoning off to the left before I kick. Which is fine too. The main problem I have with this set up is that you can't work on footwork very well. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I have a 110lb Grant bag, I weight about 235lbs. Actually I have a few bags, but that's the one I use. The 70lb bag is ok, but swings too much for my licking. I had a 50lbs bag which may as well be a freaking balloon for all the flying it did.

I personally would go as heavy as you can stand. It will be good conditioning for your shins and hands. Are you doing Thai kicks(shin) or TKD kicks(feet)? If shins, heavy is better.

The other thing is what you want to do with it. If you are wanting to practice uppercuts, they have bags for that. Low kicks, bags for that. Leather, senthetic, canvas are all to be considered. They also have some crazy water bags. So make sure you know what you are looking for. Canvas bags eat up your hands if you punch them without wraps or gloves. They also settle realy bad so you will have to take it off the hanger to let the stuffing go back to the top.

Lot's of stuff out there. You can usually find one cheep on craig's list because people buy bags all the time, then realize that they actually have to use them to get any benefit from them. Then sell them because they use them for two weeks then quit.
    What he said is about everything you need to know. With the stand you will have limited movement for sure. I save on buying weights to keep the stand down and used sandbags. You will definitely make a lot of noise the stand will bound and move no matter how much weights you put on it. Also its loud to your neighbors next you you, I have mine in the basement and my wife complains its sounds like the walls are falling down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 4:47am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like the beginning of a DIY article on drywall. If you put the stand anywhere near the wall always make sure it's not too close to it before you start practicing. Is it too late to return it and get a wave master to put in the middle of the the room? They don't slide too much with 300 lbs. of sand in the base.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2013 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I am unable to return it. The good news is that there was space in the corner beside the bathroom as opposed to the wall separating me from the neighbor. Did reckless pounding on it for a minute just to test if the neighbors would hear/feel anything and fortunately they didn't. My brother also didn't feel anything from the hallway outside. I bought an 80-lb bag since it feels like a good number in between what diesel and earl said.

Still planning out my daily routine with the bag, because so far I feel that I am just doing random drills without a set system.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast