Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 9:06am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Harder Korean Martial Arts

As my Korean martial arts knowledge isn't the best I was wondering, which of the styles are considered harder MA's by that I mean full contact and less "flowery" than tae kwon do (no disrespect to tae kwon do I think it is has its uses) I just mean less showy with less jump spinning kicks etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 10:16am

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    As my Korean martial arts knowledge isn't the best I was wondering, which of the styles are considered harder MA's by that I mean full contact and less "flowery" than tae kwon do (no disrespect to tae kwon do I think it is has its uses) I just mean less showy with less jump spinning kicks etc.
    Jump spin kicks are not a bad thing nor are they simply only flowery as the "harder" korean arts stuill have them.

Anyway try Hapkido it is purely self defense based.
    Also there is a modern hybrid art called Gonkwan Yusool it looks like kyokushin and jiujitsu put together. But I think they are very political and annoying though.

Kyuktooki is a korean hybrid martial arts sport like kickboxing and some takedowns from standing but the gyms who teach this seem to only be in Korea.

Yudo is Korean Judo but its basically just Japanese Judo exactly the same.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 10:27am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    Jump spin kicks are not a bad thing nor are they simply only flowery as the "harder" korean arts stuill have them.

Also there is a modern hybrid art called Gonkwan Yusool it looks like kyokushin and jiujitsu put together. But I think they are very political and annoying though.

Kyuktooki is a korean hybrid martial arts sport like kickboxing and some takedowns from standing but the gyms who teach this seem to only be in Korea.

Apologies my meaning probably came across wrong, I didn't mean those kicks are necessarily bad at all I just meant that my perception of TKD is that it isn't full contact and more about point sparring, again apologies if I am wrong. One of my friends used to do it and I sparred with him a couple of times, his kicks were very fast to be fair to the guy.

the problem i think i have is that where I live there are only TKD schools - I am quite curious about trying Kuk Sool Won and Tang soo do, its a little bit annoying there don't seem to be any of those schools near me

P.S again I'm not saying I am against trying TKD but i quite enjoy full contact sparring and competiton

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 12:54pm

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post

Harder martial art and you recommend hapkido? Seriously?

OP, why does it have to be Korean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    Harder martial art and you recommend hapkido? Seriously?

OP, why does it have to be Korean?
    Well what else is there? Hapkido is self defense based and has a lot of grabbing. Some people like that! Watch Fight Quest episode on hapkido it had alot of fun looking hard contact sparring. But yes most gyms wont teach that.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies my meaning probably came across wrong, I didn't mean those kicks are necessarily bad at all I just meant that my perception of TKD is that it isn't full contact and more about point sparring, again apologies if I am wrong. One of my friends used to do it and I sparred with him a couple of times, his kicks were very fast to be fair to the guy.

the problem i think i have is that where I live there are only TKD schools - I am quite curious about trying Kuk Sool Won and Tang soo do, its a little bit annoying there don't seem to be any of those schools near me

P.S again I'm not saying I am against trying TKD but i quite enjoy full contact sparring and competiton
    You'll have to check out all of the schools. Contrary to the claim that Hapkido is for self defense, it varies greatly from country to country and school to school. This can be said for many martial arts.
    There are good TKD, TSD and Hapkido schools, but there appears to be many more that are McDojos with little to no contact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No problem dude no need to apologize.
    Anyway Tang Soo Do is not going to help you much more. I would recommend Taekwondo over that. Almost every TSD school I have seen has only taught light contact touch sparring. And they frown on knockouts. But there might possibly be some TSD gyms who do full contact let me know if you find one.
    Taekwondo is full contact sparring with rules where you cannot punch the head, but they do wear chest gear and head gear for protection. but it is still atleast full contact kicking and punching the target areas. And yes it is a form of point sparring but it is in no way like typical karate point fighting.

Now Kuk Sool Won I know nothing about. Anyone else might help you with that but I have heard it was fake or made up with faulty history. But im not sure how they spar or if they even do spar.

I think your best bet is finding a gankwon yusool gym. But they are hard to find.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gongkwon Yusool has hard contact and grappling put together. but I think they do not punch to the head the same as kyokushin does not punch to the head. If there is a gym in the USA like this let me know where.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last two posts are why you need to investigate yourself Barker. Notice, he didn't see that you are living in ENGLAND.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/25/2013 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ssirium.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast