Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 8:38pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    Hi guys i have a similar question to op, didn't want to start a new thread as it's so similar but...

Basically I have just signed up to a bjj club near me and it's my goal to compete in bjj only not mma. However I do like and want to keep doing Thai boxing so my striking doesn't go down the pan. Im thinking of training 4 times per week, I can't really decide whether I want to train 2 sessions bjj and 2 Thai or 3 bjj and 1 Thai boxing. My tech ique for strikes is decent as I've done Thai boxing on and off for years but now want to do more grappling.

If this doesn't make sense I apologize in advance!

Cheers
    Try one split and then another. Then choose what you like best. We can't tell you what you'll like.

Though if you only want to compete in BJJ, I suggest you attend more grappling than striking classes to up your tournament game.

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 2:41pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rather than answer, since there are plenty of good answers already, I just want to give you a tip to help you keep from getting overloaded training in different gyms: Keep a notebook. Write down everything you go over in class and then refer back to it later and visualize yourself doing the techniques some more before you go to sleep. This helps to keep it all fresh in your mind and minimize technique overload.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 7:05am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    Rather than answer, since there are plenty of good answers already, I just want to give you a tip to help you keep from getting overloaded training in different gyms: Keep a notebook. Write down everything you go over in class and then refer back to it later and visualize yourself doing the techniques some more before you go to sleep. This helps to keep it all fresh in your mind and minimize technique overload.

Thanks for the Advise it actually makes a lot of sense; my strengths probably lie in Muay Thai which I trained for 4 years under Master Sken, but I would say I enjoy bjj more, my thought behind it is that bbj can be the sport and the striking can come in handy in the streets if I ever do need it, I am actually jumping between decisions on the striking - Thai is my preference but I'm also looking at Systema and Keysi at the minute

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2013 1:54pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barker1989 View Post
    Thanks for the Advise it actually makes a lot of sense; my strengths probably lie in Muay Thai which I trained for 4 years under Master Sken, but I would say I enjoy bjj more, my thought behind it is that bbj can be the sport and the striking can come in handy in the streets if I ever do need it, I am actually jumping between decisions on the striking - Thai is my preference but I'm also looking at Systema and Keysi at the minute
    Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there cowboy. Look at some past threads for the flaws behind Systema and Keysi before deciding. Especially since you seem to be leaning towards the competitive side of fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2013 7:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there cowboy. Look at some past threads for the flaws behind Systema and Keysi before deciding. Especially since you seem to be leaning towards the competitive side of fighting.
    Yeah I have since decided against those arts! especially since the stance is keysi leaves the body wide open! I have also read really mixed reviews on Systema but there aren't any local places for that anyway that I know of

I think I finally decided that my training split I think will be -

BJJ mon & tues

Judo Wed

MT Thurs
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12