• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 11:45am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might consider joining the cheaper club as an intro to judo. $105/month seems steep to me as judo generally has a volunteer culture. At the local Y here we get instruction from a former Olympian and a world masters champion for much cheaper.

Regarding other costs: Judo uniforms and belts are pretty cheap, and that will be the same no matter which club you are at.

Most clubs don't charge for belt tests below shodan when the national org gets involved - are you assuming that's the case here or did he give you some sort of fee schedule for testing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 1:19pm

Style: being a fatty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You might consider joining the cheaper club as an intro to judo. $105/month seems steep to me as judo generally has a volunteer culture. At the local Y here we get instruction from a former Olympian and a world masters champion for much cheaper.
    Would a Judo club be fine then? $30/month, one hour twice a weak, most likely recreational. Seems to be so little, since I went to 4 one hour classes and a two hour free sparring time at my Kempo Karate dojo every week along with a 30 minute private lesson. Though that was at very expensive. ($185/month on a 2 year contract. Otherwise at...$240/month?)

Regarding other costs: Judo uniforms and belts are pretty cheap, and that will be the same no matter which club you are at.

Most clubs don't charge for belt tests below shodan when the national org gets involved - are you assuming that's the case here or did he give you some sort of fee schedule for testing?
    Mr. Tony Okada has told me that it is $30 for every promotion, regardless of rank.

What's a shodan? I'm Chinese, so I don't know these Japanese terms. From when I played Go though, Dan was (world class) experts and Kyu was everything lower, so I'm assuming that it's black belt? Ichdan, Nidan, Sandan?

Could I use my Karate gi for this? Or are Judo gi's different? I don't really mind getting another gi, but I like to be thrifty when I can.

Edit: Yeah, that sounds like a great idea actually, thank you NeilG! I'm thinking that since I'm doing Wrestling and Bodybuilding along with it, I might not have enough time for hardcore Judo training. Yet.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 2:19pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyu and dan ranking systems are used in many Japanese sports/activities. Go is a funny one though, as there are seperate dan systems for amateurs and professionals.

In judo, shodan is first degree black belt. It's not expert by any means, more like just the beginning of more serious study.

You can't use your karate-gi, it would tear first class. Judo-gi are much heavier/stronger and also cut a little differently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 2:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kyu and dan ranking systems are used in many Japanese sports/activities. Go is a funny one though, as there are seperate dan systems for amateurs and professionals.

In judo, shodan is first degree black belt. It's not expert by any means, more like just the beginning of more serious study.

You can't use your karate-gi, it would tear first class. Judo-gi are much heavier/stronger and also cut a little differently.
    Okay thank you for your help. I'd consider you an expert though, with a black belt and instructor certification.

We are probably thinking of different gi's. I was being thrown in my Karate gi in Kempo quite a bit (literally every class) without any problems for 2 years. (It feels about the same as a BJJ gi from Babalu's gym). Unless Judo is much more intense than it seems. Nonetheless, I'll look into purchasing a new uniform. How much would that cost?

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Okay thank you for your help. I'd consider you an expert though, with a black belt and instructor certification.
    My instructor tag is for kendo.
    We are probably thinking of different gi's. I was being thrown in my Karate gi in Kempo quite a bit (literally every class) without any problems for 2 years. (It feels about the same as a BJJ gi from Babalu's gym). Unless Judo is much more intense than it seems. Nonetheless, I'll look into purchasing a new uniform. How much would that cost?
    There's a range, but you can get a cheap single-weave for under $US50. Many people spend in the 100-150 range for a good quality double weave.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 3:28pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a perfect world classes would be free and a teacher some high lama-chi superstar, doing it for reward of his own good karma :-).
    Otherwise than that there is a judo gym below my flat where training 4 times a week cost about $25-30 which is also pretty much ideal.
    I only wish all the other places would have such prices and no instructor would be living off his students. But that is in a perfect world scenario....

Otherwhise everyone has his prices. Spin 'em too high and have an empty gym. I saw that happen. Luckily it was a terrible Mcdojo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 3:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    In a perfect world classes would be free and a teacher some high lama-chi superstar, doing it for reward of his own good karma :-).
    Otherwise than that there is a judo gym below my flat where training 4 times a week cost about $25-30 which is also pretty much ideal.
    I only wish all the other places would have such prices and no instructor would be living off his students. But that is in a perfect world scenario....

Otherwhise everyone has his prices. Spin 'em too high and have an empty gym. I saw that happen. Luckily it was a terrible Mcdojo.
    Oh no, let's not open this can of worms.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 4:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Oh no, let's not open this can of worms.
    No let us do so.

I love this can of worms.

While we are at it I think my Daughters elementary school teachers should also have to go and get a 2nd job to support themselves for having the pleasure of teaching my daughter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 5:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor tag is for kendo.
    Wups, my bad.

There's a range, but you can get a cheap single-weave for under $US50. Many people spend in the 100-150 range for a good quality double weave.
    So I'll look at around $50. Cool. Because from what I've seen, the dojos make you buy from them/their retailers and usually charge more because of that.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 5:41pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    So I'll look at around $50. Cool. Because from what I've seen, the dojos make you buy from them/their retailers and usually charge more because of that.
    Really depends on the club. If they are for-profit then that's one of the ways they make money. Others have the philosophy of helping their members get good gear for cheap. You might want to wait until you've had a class and talked to the instructor to decide which way to go.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast