Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 1:09am

Style: jailbait

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsobrien View Post
    What you have to ask yourself is how important is winning judo to you? Do you want to do it as a hobby and compete once in awhile? Or do you want to crush everyone at every tournament? Have you trained judo before? What makes you want to compete at the state level?

Winning in itself isn't all that important to me because I know I'm going to get dominated for a long time before I get any good.

However, I eventually want to crush everyone at every tournament. I know it's not reasonable (there are always better people), but it's a goal.

I've never trained Judo but I just started Wrestling. I want to compete at the State level as an affirmation of how far I've gone in Judo. Perhaps if I can win there I can move onto Nationals. Though at the moment, I'm just looking at State.

The instructor is a former Olympian, so I think he's well qualified.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm going to talk to my dad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by traversnz View Post
    Doesn't sound unreasonable to me:
    $105 a month for 3 x weekly one and a half hour classes? If you go 12 times a month, that works out to $5.83 an hour - not a lot, really.
    Sure, the other place is cheaper, but as others have said, it depends wjat you want in your training.
    If you weren't training, what would you be spending your money on? Might work out you're actually saving money by training (because you're not doing something else that uses up your cash).
    If I'm not spending it training here, I wouldn't be spending it. At least, until my father thinks I'm good enough at trading simulations to start investing my own money. But that's a long long time coming.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 1:20am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Thank you everyone for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm going to talk to my dad about it.
    Cuddles, I'm a dad (who pays for his daughter's hobbies). If she used the arguments above -(only a few dollars an hour for top quality instruction for something that I really want to do) - I'm sure he'll go for it. Hell, it's cheaper than music lessons, or forking out a wad of cash every time you want to go out with your mates (not that you can't hit him up for that occassionally...)
    Good luck - I'd be jumping on that chance if I was in your area

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 1:21pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See if you can attend and participate or at least observe a class session from each school. You should be able to tell the quality of the athletes and if the instruction is right for you. I would definitely be sure about the decision before signing a year contract.

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 2:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its hard to speak for other dads. But as a father I find that spending money on grappling for my children is a long term investment. It teaches my daughter many skills and is helping her develop a work ethic she won't get from school. Also a real sense of accomplishment comes as she develops her skills. Judo will teach you things that school simply won't.
    Also you may want to point this out to your father
    http://www.sjsujudo.org/
    You can earn a Judo Scholarship to SJSU so that should help butter the bread.

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can depend if you want personal one on one time with the instructor or a general class. Instructors can cost $100+ an hour where a weekly class may cost $100 per month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 2:39pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mary, welcome to the boards! Why not start a thread in newbietown and tell us a bit about yourself?

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $105 a month to train with a former Olympian is pretty good
    King without a crown

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    105 a month is cheap. Cheaper than cable. Cheaper than a Starbucks every day. It's not about price, it's about priorities. Look around, there has to be a lot of things you can trim in the budget to get there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 5:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's cheaper than what I charger and I'm the lowest in my area.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 12:40am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied Judo for a short time in a club that only cost 18 dollars a month in a community center in Phoenix. I was happy with the price for an hour or so twice a week to learn it, but it was VERY recreational (to borrow the word from Sam Browning). I ended up leaving there and joining a Judo class at a local Gracie Barra school for a while until the Gracie Barra school in Phoenix went out of business. I was happy to be paying more to learn from an Olympic competitor (Martin Boonzayer) and I wish he was still teaching because I'd love to do it again. I'd say $105 isn't bad for quality instruction, but that's going to come down to you.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast