Posted On:
    5/22/2013 8:36pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How much SHOULD classes cost?

I recently recieved this:
    Hello,
    Please give me your number and I will give you a call. Classes run at the dojo on MWF from 7-8:30pm. Yes we can take you as a beginner and bring you up to competition level. How long it takes will depend on you. The cost is $105 a month for a 12 month program. There is also a $25 registration fee and you will need to become a member of USA Judo. You may call me if you have any other questions or stop by and watch a class.

Thank you,
    T. Okada
    And I have to ask; is $105 a month a fair price? For a 12-month contract (So long!!!). Plus $25 for USA Judo registration, which will probably have to be renewed annually, as well as uniforms, testings, belts, etc. It seems REALLY steep for Judo (especially considering how the twice a week Judo club is $30 a month).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 9:19pm

Style: Judo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    And I have to ask; is $105 a month a fair price? For a 12-month contract (So long!!!). Plus $25 for USA Judo registration, which will probably have to be renewed annually, as well as uniforms, testings, belts, etc. It seems REALLY steep for Judo (especially considering how the twice a week Judo club is $30 a month).
    That seems expensive for Judo. I pay $40 per month for twice a week (1.5 hours per session) with my main club (no contract) and then there are some casual sessions with other clubs that I attend also for $5 for the session (1.5-2 hours). (Australian dollar and US dollar are near parity at the moment).

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:13pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on the following:

The cost of living in that location.

Whether the owner is renting a strip mall storefront, or something cheaper like a ymca gym for a couple hours a week.

Whether the instructor is teaching full time as a living, or part time.

How good the instructor is. Gene Lebell would be worth that money. Others won't be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:30pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    It depends on the following:

The cost of living in that location.

Whether the owner is renting a strip mall storefront, or something cheaper like a ymca gym for a couple hours a week.

Whether the instructor is teaching full time as a living, or part time.

How good the instructor is. Gene Lebell would be worth that money. Others won't be.
    I'm not sure about how they factor into price, so I'll just state what they are:

Cost of living is expensive, though not nearly as expensive as where I live.

They have their own little gym. They teach "Women's Fitness, Wrestling, Kata Program, Judo Youth Class, or Judo Adult Class."

The instructor is Tony Okada, a former Olympian, who teaches full time.

http://www.ockjudo.com/

I want to go competitive at least at the State level and I feel like they can take me there, though it may take a few months. Would it be better to slow down and start with the $30/month Judo club? I haven't checked that one out yet, but the price is appealing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tang Soo Don't Retired

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many factors. What is your age? Do you live at home or are you supporting yourself? If you can afford such a commitment then go for it. Nothing wrong with following your dream as long as you've got your bases covered. The best of luck to you and train hard!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 10:59pm

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really depends on what you are looking to get out of it. You want to be a competitive player you need to go to a competitive gym. You need to be surrounded by competitive people and have an instructor with the experience you are looking for. The correct environment is always worth the money if you are looking to compete.

It can be frustrating to be in a room full of people who want to train for an hour and go home if you are looking to get some medals. For some people that environment is better. They just want to have some fun.

What you have to ask yourself is how important is winning judo to you? Do you want to do it as a hobby and compete once in awhile? Or do you want to crush everyone at every tournament? Have you trained judo before? What makes you want to compete at the state level?

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:19pm

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:21pm

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Given that its the orange county where prices are expensive, and you want instruction that will help you compete on the state level, $105.00 a month is not an unreasonable fee to pay, though you might be able to find Judo instruction at a cheaper price at a YMCA.

Posted On:
    5/22/2013 11:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on a number of factors but 105 is not out of the question for a nonrecreational judo program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 1:02am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doesn't sound unreasonable to me:
    $105 a month for 3 x weekly one and a half hour classes? If you go 12 times a month, that works out to $5.83 an hour - not a lot, really.
    Sure, the other place is cheaper, but as others have said, it depends wjat you want in your training.
    If you weren't training, what would you be spending your money on? Might work out you're actually saving money by training (because you're not doing something else that uses up your cash).
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast