218357 Bullies, 4181 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:48am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I want to see the viral video where two terrorists try something like this and get torn to pieces by the crowd.
    Wait until somebody tries this **** in Alabama.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:50am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think by successfully forcing people to film them while a frightened crowd stands around in shock while they preach their terrorist rant, they basically completed their goal which was to spread fear. This is a video of a crowd of people unwilling to act.
    They didn't force anyone to film. People do that on a regular basis. People have been doing this SINCE camcorders cheapened in the 90s.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think by successfully forcing people to film them while a frightened crowd stands around in shock while they preach their terrorist rant, they basically completed their goal which was to spread fear. This is a video of a crowd of people unwilling to act.

I want to see the viral video where two terrorists try something like this and get torn to pieces by the crowd.

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
    Yes you correct in that they did accomplish their goal. Which is a tragedy in it's self, but I am at a loss as to how to realistically suggest anyone fix it or stop it from happening again.

As discussed before, it takes a special person to jump onboard and react against a deadly physical threat. I hear all the time about what " I would have done this or that " but the truth is most people are more likely to freeze as all of their fantasy ninja training comes crashing down around them and they realize they honestly don't have the physical skill set or the knowledge and experience to deal with this kind of situation.

I know a very very few people who would drop their wife's or four year old daughter's hand to dive into a situation like that ...

... and no sir Mr Dreamer , you are not the only one it actually would be a deterrent of great weight against future incidents, but sadly mostly unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanYves72 View Post
    The mindset of a zealot of any faith is such where they and others who think like them would see any footage of one of their own being torn apart instead of just watched and filmed would turn the person or persons into martyrs and inflame them rather than deter them. It would be a focal point for 'vengeance'. And believe it or not I do agree with the statement that people who say what they would have done when they weren't there are full of **** as no-one knows until they are in that situation.
    It is not the job of a healthy Society to not create martyrs, it can not be avoided. People play the victim all the time. It is a hard position to defend when you are stopped mid beheading of another human... just saying. Especially on film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record I don't know WHAT I would do. I'd like to think I would do something other than stand and watch, but you're right...nobody knows until tested under fire.

One person can only do so much. But 20, 30 people...could easily band together and disarm two attackers who had no firearms, right?

I keep thinking of UA Flight 93....4 terrorists, 44 passengers. A 1:11 ratio, every passenger still died, but they stopped that plane from reaching its target...

What would have happened if the two assailants, instead of talking and getting filmed, decided to start trying to chop up other folks like the women who shielded the body?

Would the crowd have intervened then? I hope so. Just hope so.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/23/2013 10:29am at .

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:41am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One person can only do so much. But 20, 30 people...could easily band together and disarm two attackers who had no firearms, right?
    Yep, but it takes someone to get those 20 people to do it, to essentially give them "permission" to engage in that behaviour.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 10:55am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I hate this gun vs knife silliness. Cops kill people that brandish knives and rocks after being trained. They have guns, tasers, night sticks and mace. I do not expect people, with no training, to hop in when weapons are being used. Yes, even with 20 or 30 people standing around. Yes, I wish people were more bold, but I understand their fear.

I keep thinking of UA Flight 93....4 terrorists, 44 passengers. A 1:11 ratio, every passenger still died, but they stopped that plane from reaching its target...
    You keep thinking of the happy version that we all accept.
    Jeremy Logan Glick American National Collegiate Judo champion.

Mark Bingham Rugby union team San Francisco Fog RFC.
    Tom Burnett Saint John's University quarterback on the football team.

You had a champ martial artist, a semi pro and High school co-captain Rugby player and an American Football college and High School quarterback. I'd argue you had a perfect storm of Alpha males on that plane. One out of four planes something actually happened. Reversing your example, that is 3:1 follow orders vs do something.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Beamer
    There is a fourth. Why would I separate him from the others? In the wiki entry they point out he initially panicked, which is not mentioned in the other three entries, when the plane turned off course. If we follow the wiki stub, he was the only that didn't have any sport or martial arts background.

*shrugs* I am not saying I am right, just pointing out something interesting.

Look all that up on wikipedia, I'm not in the mood to find better sources.
    What would have happened if the two assailants, instead of talking and getting filmed, decided to start trying to chop up other folks like the women who shielded the body?
    Who knows, we can speculate all day long.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 12:09pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly do people think these bystanders should have done?

What do any of you think you would have done if you were there?

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 12:40pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to think I'd have gone all hero, but I am at a loss as to how to handle it tactically.

Fight barehanded against two knife (and gun) wielding assailants?
    Grab a chair and charge 'em?
    Throw something?

All of these seem to have a very low probability of working and a high probability of getting me dead with no benefit to the victim.

I'm as hardcore as anyone, but I don't know how I'd handle that situation. I know I'd WANT to do something, and if the means was there, I'd like to think I'd TRY and help. Just don't know how. Ergo; I do not blame the onlookers too much.

Also, i carry a gun. That helps.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 12:47pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post

What do any of you think you would have done if you were there?
    I do not know. That's why I am not condemning them. I just do not like the whole filming aspect. Still, like I said earlier, we are a product of our times. People have always stood by, we just have cameras to watch them doing it.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast