Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 12:04am

Style: Judo-Brown

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Define "as good with their groundwork."

No disrespect to judo, but it's just not the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that you can gain more than enough proficiency to destroy most attackers. But Bjj has a higher ceiling (At the cost of takedown training in most schools).

Though I can't relate to that last part. Besides supplementing with judo, my Bjj school does matches from the feet every week. And I know other schools do the same. Because it's more than just practical. It's fun

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 1:02am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomTriangle View Post

No disrespect to judo, but it's just not the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I do agree that you can gain more than enough proficiency to destroy most attackers. But Bjj has a higher ceiling (At the cost of takedown training in most schools).

Though I can't relate to that last part. Besides supplementing with judo, my Bjj school does matches from the feet every week. And I know other schools do the same. Because it's more than just practical. It's fun
    Add punching and see what happens.

I did a butt flop on the streets last night does that count?

Guy was about to do some other guy on the deck and I was looking for a nice way to drag him off. so waist grab to butt flop I transitioned into side mount. (which I let him get up from ) So we both raised up into clinch. At which point I could push the guy back.

Funny fight by the way the both punched each other in the haed at the same time and knocked each other on their arse.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 11:55am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was just quoting what other user said
    on this thread
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121211

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 12:02pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I finally started training in a academy that offers BJJ and suddently it no longer works in the streets other posters says judoka are as good with their groundwork, if the judoka are as good with their groundwork but also are better with throws!? what is left? the spider guard for streetfighting??
    I'm not saying Judoka are as good with their ground work. That's a completely different argument. My post was commenting on how one guy says "I've choked a guy out standing if that counts", then another guy goes "finally someone realizes that BJJ can be modified", then I say "Yeah, it's called Judo". See? Very specific.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my fingers?

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 12:17pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I'm not saying Judoka are as good with their ground work. That's a completely different argument. My post was commenting on how one guy says "I've choked a guy out standing if that counts", then another guy goes "finally someone realizes that BJJ can be modified", then I say "Yeah, it's called Judo". See? Very specific.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my fingers?

Yes I do, sorry If I did not express myself well

When I said about Judoka being as good as BJJ practicioners I was referring to this

Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    In my (admittedly limited) experience as a BJJ guy who's fairly new to Judo, I've found that, generally speaking, the better Judo guys aren't necessarily worse at ground work, but they are more specialized. There's likely a ton of reasons for that, and I think it makes sense, given the differences in the sports. I wouldn't advise a Judo guy spend much time working their spider guard, for example, as you're unlikely to have time to do much with it before you're stood up. So in that way, I think the regular jits guy has a much more diverse guard, in particular, then your average Judo guy.

Another example of this is the turtle, both defensively, and offensively. Some of these Judo guys are extremely difficult to attack or turn over once turtled, and many are equally skilled at attacking me while I'm turtled. It makes sense, you turtle for 10-15 seconds and you get to stand back up and dump me on my head. Whereas in Jits, I can take my time, work hooks in, there's no need to turn you over at all, because I have unlimited time to work from there (or, in comp, I have til the round/match ends anyway). And alternatively, they have such a short time to turn you over, that they get pretty dang good at it. I sometimes think when I turtle on a Judo guy, and then roll to guard, that they're thinking "Why would anyone do that?" It's different strategies and mind sets for different rule sets.

Another big one I notice is the pin game, which doesn't exist in jits. Kesa Gatame, for example. In jits, I'll go to the scarf hold with the far side underhook, without that, I'm too worried about getting my back taken. In Judo though, much greater attention is put on holding people in Kesa for 25 seconds, and then you win, so they often will have very heavy, very solid hold down. Sure, I'm often able to squirm out and take the back from there, but within 25 seconds? Maybe not...

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's a misconception that Judo guys aren't as good on the ground as jits guys. They are often VERY good, at the things they do. It's just that the things they do are different, because they use a very different rule set than I'm used to.

Also, obviously this will vary by the club, as some spend more time than others on ground work.

from this thread
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121211

The intention of my post was saying: Damn I finally joined a club with BJJ and now Omega says this about BJJ on the street AND this other poster says this about groundowork of judokas

Maybe you remember the question I asked you some months ago I joined the bigger academy

But then I should not worry the academy also offers sambo so I guess that would cover the standing clinch and throws
    (I started training where my cousin got his fight hehe)
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 7/21/2013 12:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 12:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Add punching and see what happens.

I did a butt flop on the streets last night does that count?

Guy was about to do some other guy on the deck and I was looking for a nice way to drag him off. so waist grab to butt flop I transitioned into side mount. (which I let him get up from ) So we both raised up into clinch. At which point I could push the guy back.

Funny fight by the way the both punched each other in the haed at the same time and knocked each other on their arse.
    i don't understand what you mean by add punching and see what happens.

Are you implying that BJJ schools that practice takedowns every week can't take someone down if there are punches involved?

You said, "add punching and see what happens" as if i don't already.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2013 5:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has anybody ever used Street in BJJ?

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 10:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you implying that BJJ schools that practice takedowns every week can't take someone down if there are punches involved?
    One imagines that dealing with punches means training in them, just as dealing with takedowns involves training in them. Know thy adversary, and so on...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2013 9:30pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly my confusion. He said add punching and see what happens as if I don't already train my takedowns with punches.

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    7/27/2013 6:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a judo black belt, I feel my ground skills are on par with at least a 2 stripe white belt. Maybe even a 3 stripe. Then again, my instructor was someone who won most of his judo matches by submission, so we spend a lot more time doing newaza than most judo clubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast