Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind. The only other throat-exposing technique I knew of was to 'shave' the opponent's face with my knuckles to help slide my hand in under their chin.

Though that's not really gym-friendly either, so I've gotten into the habit of going for another choke or maybe an armbar if I can't get a RNC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 6:58am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't tried this myself but I've been meaning to add it to my game.

Posted On:
    5/31/2013 3:20pm

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA street fight caught on tape

Wait for the knee bar, half gaurd pull!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 8:56pm

Style: Muay Thai / Judo / JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wouldn't call it "Pure BJJ" But working security I did a hell of alot of RNC, I eithen changed the way I would do it each time.

One TIme this polynesian guy throw a punch at me I parried his hit and went straight for the RNC however this time I kicked out the back if his heels and stepped back so his weight rested on my applied choke,

Lets just say the guy would not wake up for over 5 mins and I freaked out lol that was my Last RNC, As for taking people out of the bar alot of arm locks involved there Finger splays were fun too...

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 4:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JiuJitsu and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've used it countless times over the years bouncing. Almost never do I end up on the ground.

Here's a crazy thought...make sure you sit down before you read any further:

BJJ works standing up too...
    FINALLY someone who understands that BJJ can be adapted!!!!

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    7/06/2013 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetGrappler View Post
    Finally? It happened to me right in front of my face, and I just cannot hide it.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/07/2013 9:28pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used the omaplata on two bad guys. I don't know if you can call that BJJ, as I've seen Rowdy Rody Piper use it long before Gracie was a twinkle in America's eye. But, I haven't had a street fight since high school. So, no.

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD/FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only once. got in a scuffle with a drunk guy who thought I was someone else at a concert venue that we both frequented. He wouldn't listen to reason, and sucker punched me and knocked me down, clocked me really good several times actually, my head was spinning for a bit. he then attempted to jump on me and slipped off the side of my ribcage, ended up coming down to the ground with me...I got him in my guard as fast as I could, still had hazy vision from the blows to the head, and was really scared, but basic training came through and I locked up a (sloppy) triangle. He, of course, picked me up and, lucky enough I grabbed his leg and prevented him from raising me too far off the ground. Still, getting slammed even from a foot off the pavement was fucking nasty. I held the triangle til he passed out, and then got up and stumbled off. My back was fucked for a week after that, bruised up, spine and shoulders hurt when I turned at certain angles....I certainly wouldn't recommend it on the hard concrete, but I was damn glad that I had some ground training when it happened.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 8:53pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StreetGrappler View Post
    Yeah, it's called Judo.

Posted On:
    7/20/2013 9:02pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Yeah, it's called Judo.
    I finally started training in a academy that offers BJJ and suddently it no longer works in the streets other posters says judoka are as good with their groundwork, if the judoka are as good with their groundwork but also are better with throws!? what is left? the spider guard for streetfighting??

Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    In my (admittedly limited) experience as a BJJ guy who's fairly new to Judo, I've found that, generally speaking, the better Judo guys aren't necessarily worse at ground work, but they are more specialized. There's likely a ton of reasons for that, and I think it makes sense, given the differences in the sports. I wouldn't advise a Judo guy spend much time working their spider guard, for example, as you're unlikely to have time to do much with it before you're stood up. So in that way, I think the regular jits guy has a much more diverse guard, in particular, then your average Judo guy.

Another example of this is the turtle, both defensively, and offensively. Some of these Judo guys are extremely difficult to attack or turn over once turtled, and many are equally skilled at attacking me while I'm turtled. It makes sense, you turtle for 10-15 seconds and you get to stand back up and dump me on my head. Whereas in Jits, I can take my time, work hooks in, there's no need to turn you over at all, because I have unlimited time to work from there (or, in comp, I have til the round/match ends anyway).

So, I guess what I'm saying is, I think it's a misconception that Judo guys aren't as good on the ground as jits guys. They are often VERY good, at the things they do. It's just that the things they do are different, because they use a very different rule set than I'm used to.

Also, obviously this will vary by the club, as some spend more time than others on ground work.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast