Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 6:00pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I can work with the putter, thanks to miniature golf. Yes I lied. But the five iron, I can smash that. And that is it. I am not kidding.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/29/2013 6:24pm

Style: Kickboxing/MuaiThai (new)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Really I can't hit my 5 for ****. 7 8 9 Wedges fine but **** the 5 and 6.
    And that mother fucking putter I hate that bastard.
    I don't know about you. But on the street I'd totally take a 5 iron over a putter.

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 12:42pm

Style: Dutch KB / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask a person who just ate 3 lbs of cottage cheese anything

Go ahead.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I personally love the whole OMG the ground is the most dangerous place thing. Its always fun to ask them if they think its so dangerous why they are not training on how to deal with being there.
    Great point.

I've never used BJJ in the street, but last Sunday I did use it in the park. Some guy saw me rolling with my little brother, teaching him an armbar from guard, and challenged me.

He was bigger than me and looked stronger too, but I said 'yes' anyway - can't back down in front of my brother after all!

Long story short: Pulled guard, swept to mount, took his back, then clung to him like a limpet till he got tired and gave up. Interestingly enough, I ended up with a busted lip and scratched-up hands, while he looked just fine.

For the record:

(1) I didn't encounter any needles, broken glass or lava.
    (2) His friends didn't jump in - they actually seemed quite impressed by my jiu jitsu.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 1:42pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WajBJJ View Post
    Great point.

I've never used BJJ in the street, but last Sunday I did use it in the park. Some guy saw me rolling with my little brother, teaching him an armbar from guard, and challenged me.

He was bigger than me and looked stronger too, but I said 'yes' anyway - can't back down in front of my brother after all!

Long story short: Pulled guard, swept to mount, took his back, then clung to him like a limpet till he got tired and gave up. Interestingly enough, I ended up with a busted lip and scratched-up hands, while he looked just fine.

For the record:

(2) His friends didn't jump in - they actually seemed quite impressed by my jiu jitsu.
    1. That was a stupid thing to do. What if the guy had a history of mental problems, or if he was concealing a knife?

2. If you have someone's back, and you're not having a friendly spar, use a ridge hand under the nose (you can just put your hand there instead of hitting him wit it) and force his head back to expose his neck for the RNC. You can also palm his forehead and pull his head back to you to do the same thing.

3. Make sure they know how to tap before you start.

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 3:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great point.

For the record:

Don't pull guard on the street dude. Just don't.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 4:33pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He fell on his ass on the grass.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    1. That was a stupid thing to do. What if the guy had a history of mental problems, or if he was concealing a knife?

2. If you have someone's back, and you're not having a friendly spar, use a ridge hand under the nose (you can just put your hand there instead of hitting him wit it) and force his head back to expose his neck for the RNC. You can also palm his forehead and pull his head back to you to do the same thing.

3. Make sure they know how to tap before you start.

Upon reflection, yeah it probably wasn't a good idea. But we were clear about the rules before we started, and I was intent on keeping it as friendly as possible throughout.

(Am I right in thinking the 'ridge hand under nose' move is totally illegal in BJJ competition?)

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 5:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    ...use a ridge hand under the nose...
    Okay, I won't argue the general efficacy of this, as I've used it myself to stop idiots biting into my arm if, on the job, I get a jaw-crush in place instead of a proper choke.

That said--while it's painful for many--it's merely a bit uncomfortable for some (I'm one of those), and may not yield the desired effect, so be sure to have a "plan B" ready in case it doesn't work.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/30/2013 6:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (Am I right in thinking the 'ridge hand under nose' move is totally illegal in BJJ competition?)
    Yes, it is illegal in competition. It is also considered very bad manners in the gym. Pulling the forehead back with the hand to expose the throat is typically frowned on as a crude tactic as well. The idea being to learn more refined technique.

I have used both these techniques out of the gym to slap on RNC's in a swift manner in the past however. As Vieux pointed out (indirectly) there is almost no risk of being bitten using the forehead technique. Although I performed the ridge hand technique as a low impact strike and withdrew it immediately when I used it against a hostile person. My hand was in front of his face for a very short period of time.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 8910 LastLast