Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last
  1. #21
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I once hugged a guy who was angry at me, on the street!

    I'm pretty sure that counts.
    I have a feeling that sadly this is probably the most effective street technique EVER.

  2. #22
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    7,201
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I once hugged a guy who was angry at me, on the street!

    I'm pretty sure that counts.
    I hope that was gi and not no - gi ...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

  3. #23
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,939
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used it countless times over the years bouncing. Almost never do I end up on the ground.

    Here's a crazy thought...make sure you sit down before you read any further:


    BJJ works standing up too...

  4. #24

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,462
    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've used basketball on the street, is that the same thing?

    Y'know, I dribbled guys heads on the ground, slam dunked them passed them off to other people.....

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    1,138
    8
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Here's a crazy thought...make sure you sit down before you read any further:


    BJJ works standing up too...
    Lies! But you're right about sitting down first. Everyone knows the you're totally in for a BJJ ass whooping if the dude you're fighting sits down and begins scooting toward you like a dog on expensive carpet.

    (Seriously, though... don't let them know we know how to grapple standing. I'd like to keep them thinking that we have no other choice but to flop around on the ground like a thalidomide baby.)

  6. #26
    Mr. Machette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,237
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Lies! But you're right about sitting down first. Everyone knows the you're totally in for a BJJ ass whooping if the dude you're fighting sits down and begins scooting toward you like a dog on expensive carpet.

    (Seriously, though... don't let them know we know how to grapple standing. I'd like to keep them thinking that we have no other choice but to flop around on the ground like a thalidomide baby.)
    Oh great!

    And here I was thinking the ultimate anti-graple move was to offer a hand up.

    I guess I'm back to the drawing board...



    So, I've never used BJJ on the street, but I have gotten a BJ on the street.

    It was just as effective IRL as it was in the ring, but I did have to avoid to pyroplastic laval flows and groups of apeish sychophants pulling knives and swinging car aerials...
















    ...of course...

  7. #27

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,462
    6
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omeganism:

    In 1998 we had a BJJ brown belt move to town to open up a school. We all used to meet up and train at my kickboxing coaches gym. Great guy, resembled a short T-Rex. He used to bounce at one of the local bars.

    One night this guy, who was a Tang Soo Do black belt, starts mouthing off to him. He smiles and tries to wave the guy off but the he keeps trying to push "Kills" buttons (No joke, that was his nickname). So Kill offers to meet the guy in one of the side alleys after the bar closes.

    Later that night, after closing, we all meet in the near by alley. The guy is jumping up and down ready to fight and Kill come smiles and starts socializing with the rest of us.

    "Hey, we going to do this?"

    Kill "Yes, my friend, for you no problem", and he sits down and starts to stretch.

    The guy gets agitated and starts to approach Kill while he is on the ground. Kill hold up his hand "Wait wait my friend, be patient, I am warming up".

    The guy looks at his friends not believing what was happening. He says a few inaudible things to his friend before Kill gets off the ground and says "Okay my friend, we can do this. I would like you to know I like you though. Normally, I get paid to fight people, but for you, I do for free."

    The guy's face goes blank.

    "One more thing my friend, we don't stop fighting until I say so", he claps his hands "Okay?"

    "**** you"

    "That's okay my friend, I have girlfriend"

    That's when the police show up. After some quick talk Kill goes over to the guy "Hey my friend, we not get arrested for having fun. I have keys to the boxing gym two blocks down. We fight there."

    We disperse and meet at the gym. Of course the other guy never shows up. I wish I can say it ended there but it didn't. Unfortunately that's a story for another time.

  8. #28
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,343
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Omeganism:

    In 1998 we had a BJJ brown belt move to town to open up a school. We all used to meet up and train at my kickboxing coaches gym. Great guy, resembled a short T-Rex. He used to bounce at one of the local bars.

    One night this guy, who was a Tang Soo Do black belt, starts mouthing off to him. He smiles and tries to wave the guy off but the he keeps trying to push "Kills" buttons (No joke, that was his nickname). So Kill offers to meet the guy in one of the side alleys after the bar closes.

    Later that night, after closing, we all meet in the near by alley. The guy is jumping up and down ready to fight and Kill come smiles and starts socializing with the rest of us.

    "Hey, we going to do this?"

    Kill "Yes, my friend, for you no problem", and he sits down and starts to stretch.

    The guy gets agitated and starts to approach Kill while he is on the ground. Kill hold up his hand "Wait wait my friend, be patient, I am warming up".

    The guy looks at his friends not believing what was happening. He says a few inaudible things to his friend before Kill gets off the ground and says "Okay my friend, we can do this. I would like you to know I like you though. Normally, I get paid to fight people, but for you, I do for free."

    The guy's face goes blank.

    "One more thing my friend, we don't stop fighting until I say so", he claps his hands "Okay?"

    "**** you"

    "That's okay my friend, I have girlfriend"

    That's when the police show up. After some quick talk Kill goes over to the guy "Hey my friend, we not get arrested for having fun. I have keys to the boxing gym two blocks down. We fight there."

    We disperse and meet at the gym. Of course the other guy never shows up. I wish I can say it ended there but it didn't. Unfortunately that's a story for another time.
    While I'd really like to hear the follow up, that is my kind of BJJ guy.

    Kill them with kindness is one of my favorite tactics.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    703
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Omeganism:

    In 1998 we had a BJJ brown belt move to town to open up a school. We all used to meet up and train at my kickboxing coaches gym. Great guy, resembled a short T-Rex. He used to bounce at one of the local bars.

    One night this guy, who was a Tang Soo Do black belt, starts mouthing off to him. He smiles and tries to wave the guy off but the he keeps trying to push "Kills" buttons (No joke, that was his nickname). So Kill offers to meet the guy in one of the side alleys after the bar closes.

    Later that night, after closing, we all meet in the near by alley. The guy is jumping up and down ready to fight and Kill come smiles and starts socializing with the rest of us.

    "Hey, we going to do this?"

    Kill "Yes, my friend, for you no problem", and he sits down and starts to stretch.

    The guy gets agitated and starts to approach Kill while he is on the ground. Kill hold up his hand "Wait wait my friend, be patient, I am warming up".

    The guy looks at his friends not believing what was happening. He says a few inaudible things to his friend before Kill gets off the ground and says "Okay my friend, we can do this. I would like you to know I like you though. Normally, I get paid to fight people, but for you, I do for free."

    The guy's face goes blank.

    "One more thing my friend, we don't stop fighting until I say so", he claps his hands "Okay?"

    "**** you"

    "That's okay my friend, I have girlfriend"

    That's when the police show up. After some quick talk Kill goes over to the guy "Hey my friend, we not get arrested for having fun. I have keys to the boxing gym two blocks down. We fight there."

    We disperse and meet at the gym. Of course the other guy never shows up. I wish I can say it ended there but it didn't. Unfortunately that's a story for another time.
    Another Omega's fight stories thread? Please!!!!

  10. #30
    Southpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,939
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geez Omega finish the story...it isn't even bedtime yet.

    Pleaaaaaaaaaaaaase.

Page 3 of 10 First 1234567 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO