Our Sponsors:

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 8:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It also includes additional hardware. The kinect was ~$150 to add to the 360 and it sold quite well. In fact you can buy it now for Windows at about ~$150.
    Apparently its a feature people like. My 7 year old loves the damn thing, personally it drives me nuts. But if the youth market like it, it will sell especially if it gives parents the illusion that their kids are getting exercise while playing video games.

I highly doubt there will be a perceptible difference. The key thing here is the Xbox is running at a better point on the efficiency curve for the architecture they could certainly turn up the clock speed if they wanted to. What it looks like to me is that they are being very serious about heat management this generation. To me this is a good thing because it means a much more reliable system.

I go back and forth on the PC gaming vs Console gaming. I think I enjoy the simplicity of just slapping in a disc and playing. I just don't have the time to play much anymore and if I am on the computer I end up doing other crap. I am also much more of a causal gamer these days and will go a few months at a time without touching a game. Then a will get something I am excited about and play the crap out of it for 1-3 weeks and back to a dry spell.
    Actually the connect does keep you moving pretty good, it's way better than just sitting on a couch.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 8:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will point out one thing about this resale clusterfuck that the media seems to be ignoring. Sony is already doing it. Just check some of the newer ps3 games and you will find that they have an online pass. It's a code that allows for the online play and it is non-transferable. If you sell any of those games to your friends they will have to buy a new pass for 9.99. The only thing that really would have fucked Xbox was that 24 hour check bullshit which would basically force people to be permanent subscribers to a pay network.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 8:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It also includes additional hardware. The kinect was ~$150 to add to the 360 and it sold quite well. In fact you can buy it now for Windows at about ~$150.
    Apparently its a feature people like. My 7 year old loves the damn thing, personally it drives me nuts. But if the youth market like it, it will sell especially if it gives parents the illusion that their kids are getting exercise while playing video games.

I highly doubt there will be a perceptible difference. The key thing here is the Xbox is running at a better point on the efficiency curve for the architecture they could certainly turn up the clock speed if they wanted to. What it looks like to me is that they are being very serious about heat management this generation. To me this is a good thing because it means a much more reliable system.

I go back and forth on the PC gaming vs Console gaming. I think I enjoy the simplicity of just slapping in a disc and playing. I just don't have the time to play much anymore and if I am on the computer I end up doing other crap. I am also much more of a causal gamer these days and will go a few months at a time without touching a game. Then a will get something I am excited about and play the crap out of it for 1-3 weeks and back to a dry spell.
    You are going to have to explain to me how the Xbox is running better architecture than the ps4. Both systems will be able to patch to improve their performance. The whole heat management part is moot if Microsoft actually decides to manufacture it correctly this time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 11:17am

Style: Thai Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I will point out one thing about this resale clusterfuck that the media seems to be ignoring. Sony is already doing it. Just check some of the newer ps3 games and you will find that they have an online pass. It's a code that allows for the online play and it is non-transferable. If you sell any of those games to your friends they will have to buy a new pass for 9.99. The only thing that really would have fucked Xbox was that 24 hour check bullshit which would basically force people to be permanent subscribers to a pay network.
    Online passes are a publisher thing, not a console thing. EA was championing this particular tumor in the industry until recently.

At this point, it's too little too late for the Xbone. They tried to bend us over and only changed their tune once news of it hit the mainstream with Jimmy Fallon. Those of us who were paying attention aren't going to be quick to forgive.

Either way, I don't think a new console generation is what we need right now. Sexier hardware means bigger budgets, and bigger budgets mean more money is at risk, and more money at risk means publishers are only going to let developers make what has been proven to sell well in the past. Instead of getting gambles on interesting ideas, everyone is just trying to make Call of Duty, Gears of War, and Skyrim, but we already have Call of Duty, Gears of War, and Skyrim, so these clones aren't reaching their astronomical sales expectations, and publishers are getting even more scared and vowing to play it even safer next time.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 11:29am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpie McGee View Post

At this point, it's too little too late for the Xbone. At this point, it's too little too late for the Xbone. They tried to bend us over and only changed their tune once news of it hit the mainstream with Jimmy Fallon. Those of us who were paying attention aren't going to be quick to forgive.
    It is never too late. Yes, like before, millions of those that "aren't going to be quick to forgive" will be standing in line to buy one.

Yes, I heard this same argument concerning:
    Red Ring.
    Pay to play online.
    Astronomical Cost.
    HD vs Blu Ray.

On and on and on. The only thing that would make them pause is a fundamental shift to PC gaming. If you stick to your guns cool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 11:41am

Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    It is never too late. Yes, like before, millions of those that "aren't going to be quick to forgive" will be standing in line to buy one.

Yes, I heard this same argument concerning:
    Red Ring.
    Pay to play online.
    Astronomical Cost.
    HD vs Blu Ray.

On and on and on. The only thing that would make them pause is a fundamental shift to PC gaming. If you stick to your guns cool.
    Okay, so it might just be those of us that were pissed enough about it to kick up a **** storm in the first place, the "vocal minority" as it is so often phrased. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed with the reversal. I was hoping to watch it crash and burn from my comfortable vantage point of moral superiority.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 1:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are going to have to explain to me how the Xbox is running better architecture than the ps4.
    I didn't say MS was running better architecture. Let me explain what I did say they are running the chip at a more efficent point on the efficency curve. Power vs Heat vs Performance. The chip will use both less power and put off less heat. They also designed the case around efficent heat mangment. They designed the one to run for hours upon hours.

Heat mangment is proper design when it comes to electronics.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 2:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say MS was running better architecture. Let me explain what I did say they are running the chip at a more efficent point on the efficency curve. Power vs Heat vs Performance. The chip will use both less power and put off less heat. They also designed the case around efficent heat mangment. They designed the one to run for hours upon hours.

Heat mangment is proper design when it comes to electronics.
    Ok so I can get what you're saying here, but I think it's just a gimmick on the part of Microsoft. I think what they are really trying to cool with this heat efficient design is fear that this new Xbox will be plagued with problems due to the problems with the 360. And designing a system with reliability in mind might be a talking point if somehow Sony didn't have a reliable previous version, which just isn't the case. My old "fat" ps3 lasted 10 years and it ran as hot as a welding torch.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 2:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok so I can get what you're saying here, but I think it's just a gimmick on the part of Microsoft. I think what they are really trying to cool with this heat efficient design is fear that this new Xbox will be plagued with problems due to the problems with the 360.
    So fixing the heating problem is a gimmick? LOL.

And designing a system with reliability in mind might be a talking point if somehow Sony didn't have a reliable previous version, which just isn't the case. My old "fat" ps3 lasted 10 years and it ran as hot as a welding torch.
    I'm on my second Ps3. I was playing, it overheated and boom YLOD.

Posted On:
    6/20/2013 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So fixing the heating problem is a gimmick? LOL.

I'm on my second Ps3. I was playing, it overheated and boom YLOD.
    No using it as a selling point is. And yes some ps3's had problems, but compared to the 360 they were to use a quote from our former governor "fucking golden". Microsoft basically recalled the damn things, if you call telling people to ship it at their expense a recall that is. And all so they could bukkake some thermal paste on it and send it back with instructions on how to keep it from cooking itself. Like use it in front of a fan or buy one of the new cooling packs for it. So yes I see it as a damage control gimmick.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast