Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 9:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Injury and Psychology (Boxing)

Hi folks. This post is broken into two parts. A simple question and a more rambling complex one:

Short part:

I was sparring (boxing) yesterday. I took a light hit on the eye. Its not bruised but today my eye is irritated. Should I be worried and is there much evidence of permanent damage from punches to the eye?

Long part:

I've been boxing around 6 months and before that participated in a variety of martial arts. I've never seen myself as a tough guy but I'm not soft either. I train hard, I don't mind pain, and I've been in enough fights to know what its about.

I find myself in a curious situation. I LOVE sparring. It gives me a huge adrenaline rush. I love the mental game and the physical exertion. I don't mind receiving a few shots as long as I land a few myself, and as long as I feel I learnt something each session.
    However, I am also quite protective of my body. I need to be able to think straight for my job. I quite like my nose the shape it is. My fingers need to be in working order for many reasons.

So I find myself caught between a love of boxing (and other martial arts) and a fear of injury. I'm never going to be world champion so I'm trying to find a balance here.

Thanks for any insights.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    5/21/2013 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by calmPsycho View Post
    I was sparring (boxing) yesterday. I took a light hit on the eye. Its not bruised but today my eye is irritated. Should I be worried and is there much evidence of permanent damage from punches to the eye?
    It doesn't sound too serious. If it gets worse in the next 2 days, go see a doctor.

The main eye injury in contact sports is a loose retina. Boxing gloves shield you eyeballs from poke injuries quite well.

Genrally, a boxers' eyesight remains intact.

Quote Originally Posted by calmPsycho View Post
    I've been boxing around 6 months and before that participated in a variety of martial arts. I've never seen myself as a tough guy but I'm not soft either. I train hard, I don't mind pain, and I've been in enough fights to know what its about.

I find myself in a curious situation. I LOVE sparring. It gives me a huge adrenaline rush. I love the mental game and the physical exertion. I don't mind receiving a few shots as long as I land a few myself, and as long as I feel I learnt something each session.
    However, I am also quite protective of my body. I need to be able to think straight for my job. I quite like my nose the shape it is. My fingers need to be in working order for many reasons.

So I find myself caught between a love of boxing (and other martial arts) and a fear of injury. I'm never going to be world champion so I'm trying to find a balance here.
    Self-preservation, VERY IMPORTANT. This is a very general question.

How often do you train? How much contact do you receive on an average training? Do you compete?

Genral advice is this, be smart and give yourself time to heal between training sessions. Your body has the capability to recover.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 1:26am

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never practiced boxing but during Kickboxing sparring we use the head gear with face shield to protect the face.

similar to this one

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 5:38am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
    I've never practiced boxing but during Kickboxing sparring we use the head gear with face shield to protect the face.

similar to this one

Oh man I hate those things, how do you deal with the ridiculous drop in visibility when wearing one?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Oh man I hate those things, how do you deal with the ridiculous drop in visibility when wearing one?
    There not so bad if its just hands, when low kicks come in yeah can be a problem visibility wise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 3:22pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Well everything has a price