Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Style
    JKD, BJJ, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Curiosity about proper weight gaining advice.

This is not a complaint thread, it is not asking for sympathy nor empathy; I want real advice to regain the weight I have lost do to detrimental circumstances (AKA Bullshit).

I know good amount about nutrition, yet am always seeking to expand my knowledge. Any Bullshit I post here is not me being Emo, it is me stating facts so that there is background and my weight and training situation can be properly assessed. That being said, he are some facts.

I am Endomorphic currently weighing in at 135lb. My normal weight based on Doctors is 140lb, and target weight at 150lb.

I believe these figures are off because that was based on my last scaled in growth chart while hopped on various Pharmaceuticals that stunted my growth for the last 18 years or so of my 24 year old life.

I decided to **** that system; and while getting **** done with accountable and within legal parameters, got a lot of Bullshit (you don't need to hear my woe story nor do I feel like sharing the actions of Retards in my life) resulting in lack of food and sleep, eventually becoming homeless, and hungry to the point of hunger pains.

Through all this I strove to continue pursuing my College education, Pledging to a no-nonscence National Service Fraternity, and hold my Job.

I managed to pass the Semester, and became inducted into the Fraternity, losing my job due to attendance issues (dealing with Bullshit) late in the Semester.

Through this process I was on the move, a lot. I generally loaded my backpack (a Jansport backpacking pack, and later a Molly Pack I got) with my needs for the day so I was under constant weight training (only estimated 30lb-50lb) in that regard. I also regularly wore Red Wing Steel Toe Work Boots because of the support for this, and that I needed Waterproof footwear through the Winter/my Kitchen Job, with stable treading. This provided a constant 4lb weight by each foot. I would also Dance (freestyle) weekly as a form of stress release, which helped stretch all my muscles out.

I am finally getting Aid for Food, after over a month of pursuit, and regaining weight having fallen to 128lb at my low. I am thankful in that though the Bullshit I have grown a strong structural foundation from which I can throw what weight I have on me in direct and fluidic manners.

In any case, I can now support proper eating habits, and am looking for any recommendations for wholesome foods for weight and muscle gain, and well as wanting to maintain a small body fat percentile.

To give an idea of my activities, I run and stretch at least a Mile once to twice a day, walk 5 or more miles around town doing ****, and actively dance and self train (if no viable partner) in various styles of Martial Arts.

Also, off the nutritional factor, I am also curious about good ways to really stretch and make use of my trapezius muscles. I see that variousGreco Roman Wrestling conditioning would help a lot, though I am strapped for cash at this point.

Any real advice welcome,
    thanks from your weaking,
    Physalt.
    Last edited by physalt; 5/27/2013 12:07pm at . Reason: "unaccountably" to "with accountable". I take responsibility for my actions.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To put on healthy weight?
    Eat healthy calorie dense foods.
    So things with good fats such as Olive oil is going to be your friend.
    Fish eat a lot of Fish.
    Nuts
    Eggs
    Also if you don't have a problem with Dairy.
    Cheese, Milk, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt

Also look at Meal Replacement Powders.
    Such as
    http://www.truenutrition.com/p-1019-...-eggmilk.aspx?

Style
    Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, i am sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope that you exert all your energy in gaining a profession/education while maintaining a job. You need stability, so try and keep to one job and advance in it until a better one opens.
    About food, well, a simple full of nutrition food is your basic potato. Also beans. They are both high in protein and other goodies, and are cheep and easy to cook. Try and eat every day something fresh, like fruits, vegetables (Don't underestimate vitamins in favor of proteins) .
    Eggs are also a great and cheep source of proteins and vitamins

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you seriously consider steel toed boots and carrying a heavy backpack weight training? I think you know a lot less than you think you do about fitness (not that i consider myself an authority but i've read a lot). To make progress you have to keep upping your intensity, you walk around with a heavy pack and you'll get somewhat stonger but after a short time your body gets used to the load and you plateau. I used to work construction and we walked 21 story building a hell of a lot an hauled heavy **** all over the place. With all the work you'd think there wouldn't be an out of shape guy on the jobsite, wrong! Few guys were actually in shape and the other guys were fat as hell but also quite strong.

Sounds like you are doing too much. I'm sure someone will come along and back me up or add to my argument. You're doing all cardio. If you want to gain weight eat more, lift weights and cut most or all of your cardio. Look at any big guy and see how much cardio he does on a regular basis. Body builders and power lifters do a lot less cardio than you think. Also, I thought the whole endomprph, ectomorph thing was outdated and unreliable?

Edit: I have to give the obligatory weight gain advice; drink an assload of whole milk, eat steak, and SQUAT!

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat lots of quality food, particularly protein. Lift heavy weights. Stop doing silly things like running and dancing and martial arts that cause you to lose weight. Sleep a lot.

You didn't tell us your height, so we can't tell how severe this is. But if you want to gain weight, you need to start a barbell program and stop running.

I'm not going to convince you of my eating philosophy, but I'll explain what I eat when I'm trying to gain weight: a lot of farm eggs and grass-fed beef and milk and pastured pork and chicken. An enormous quantity of olive oil and avocado over greens and more vegetables than you can fathom, plus yogurt and kefir and sweet potatoes. If you're ever hungry you're not eating enough. If any of these items upsets your stomach, trade it in for something else. For instance, homogenized milk is hard for me in large quantities, so swapping that for goat milk or kefir.

For instance, on a day after I squatted and deadlifted and did pull-ups and dips, I might eat four to six eggs and a big bowl of yogurt with fruit and nuts for breakfast. For lunch I'd have a huge salad drenched in olive oil and covered in fruit and nuts and an avocado and two chicken breasts and a fist-sized pile of potatoes and two glasses of milk. For dinner I'd eat a steak with potatoes and a bunch of brussel sprouts drenched in butter and two glasses of milk.

Stop worrying about body fat percentage while you're underweight and lifting heavy. Worry about body fat after you're able to deadlift twice your bodyweight and are not undersized.

Do not concern yourself with meal replacements, powders, supplements, and other well-marketed bullshit. Once you've been lifting three times a week for a month, you can buy some whey. Other than that, buying supplements is an attempt to put responsibility for your weight gain on a product instead of yourself.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    being a fatty
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Sounds like you are doing too much. I'm sure someone will come along and back me up or add to my argument. You're doing all cardio. If you want to gain weight eat more, lift weights and cut most or all of your cardio. Look at any big guy and see how much cardio he does on a regular basis. Body builders and power lifters do a lot less cardio than you think. Also, I thought the whole endomprph, ectomorph thing was outdated and unreliable?

Edit: I have to give the obligatory weight gain advice; drink an assload of whole milk, eat steak, and SQUAT!
    Though I personally agree with the cutting cardio and doing some good ol' lifting, it's bad (imho) to remove all cardio from your program.

Now, you don't have to do a lot, but a solid 10 minutes of running before you start lifting starts blood flowing and keeps your heart strong.

Anywho, I suggest you don't look at professional Bodybuilders and Powerlifters. They are in the "expert" class by then, and a beginner has nothing to do with following them. Attempting to do so may lead to injury, incorrect or little gains, and many other problems. (A friend of mine decided to try out an "advanced" routine when he first started lifting and broke his wrist. Thus, he couldn't lift for the next 4 months, and after that, only lift lightly)

Also, bodybuilders are NOT trained to be "fit" nor "strong", just good-looking, with LOTS of mass. Powerlifters (and Olympic lifters, 2 different things) are known for being "strong". HOWEVER, their strength is a different strength that doesn't help so much in combat sports. They pump out one rep at extremely high weights.

On the other hand, competitors in combat sports need some degree of cardio to keep up with the rounds of fighting. Since OP is posting in a Martial Art forum, as well as stating that he does Martial Arts, I would assume that he'd continue to do that, and would look forward for a program more suited to his needs.

I would suggest taking up a beginner full body routine from here to build muscle.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=115643271

I also recommend you join a gym to use weights and equipment. Remember, free weights > machines. Gym memberships are pretty cheap. I go to 24 hour Fitness and a 2-year membership was only $350. That's $14.58 a month or $0.48 a day. It comes with loads of weights and machines, a basketball court, cycling rooms, free group exercise classes, swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room, and sauna.

I'm personally following an accelerated version of allpro's routine, where I add reps and weight faster than he states because I can. It's provided some very nice weight and strength gains already. Generally speaking, you'll want to add no more than 1lb (some genetics 1.5lbs) of mass a week, or some it it's going to be fat.

I was reading endomorph/ectomorph 2 days ago and apparently, they are just body tendencies, which makes sense because everyone is different genetically. So they are true, but they just don't affect gains as much as some may think. As long as you lift heavy, eat heavy, and sleep heavy, you'll gain muscle mass.

I agree, eat, drink, and SQUAT. Squatting is my favorite exercise and considered to be one of the best compound movements along with the bench press and the deadlift, but everyone ignores it. Don't ignore it. Doing so will leave your body out of proportion, which then lends susceptibility to injury.

Start light to get the form down, then hit heavier weights. High reps = Mass. Low reps = Strength. Everyone thinks it's the opposite, but that's a busted myth.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/henkin6cccc.htm
    Somehow this theory of more reps is for definition and less reps for mass fallacy became promoted throughout many gyms and weightrooms. In reality, because muscle mass gains have more to do with the overall amount of work done, the individual performing more reps has more of a chance of gaining mass.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...5807121&page=1
    Well, the European Journal of Applied Physiology posted some research done on how different gene-types in the body responds to different workout routines, based on sets, weight, and reps.
    What they discovered was significant.

First off, there are basically two different kinds of gene make-ups for every individual:
    1) ACE II

2) ACE DD
    In one of the studies conducted, scientists took 99 weight trainers and placed them on two types of workout routines:
    o One workout program was made up of multiple sets for high reps and lighter weight (reps were in the 12-15 per set).

o The other workout routine was made up of multiple sets for low reps with heavier weight (reps were in the 8-12 per set).

What they found was that the weight trainers that had a harder time gaining weight and muscle had predominantly ACE II genes.
    These individuals responded great to the higher reps for lighter weight program.
    Yet, when following the lower reps for heavier weight routine, they made no progress at all in terms of building muscle mass.
    Baylor University just conducted a study, which some have referenced it as “Resistance exercise intensity does not differentially affect skeletal muscle myostatin gene expression but does increase serum myostatin propeptide levels.”.
    They discovered that the leg that performed the sets of 6 reps (low reps / heavier weight) had 3 times higher the amount of myostatin than the leg that performed sets of 20 reps (high reps / lighter weight).
    “What’s myostatin?”, you may be asking.
    Myostatin is a protein that limits the amount of growth in muscle tissue and fibers.
    The higher the amount of myostatin in a muscle, the less amount of size it can gain.
    Have fun, and eat a lot. No matter what you do, in the end it comes down to calories your body is taking. If you have excess, you're going to grow. If you have a deficit, you're going to lose. If you have excess with protein and a training stimulus, you'll grow muscle.

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right I am confused. Why exactly do you need the weight gain?

All of your activities look like cardio ones.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    JKD, BJJ, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do understand the weight training in that regard is my cardio than anything. My mention of wishing to look into Greco Roman training methods is for my awareness that do need more strength conditioning, though in that do not want to sacrifice my cardio for it.

I find that the best way to build solid muscles takes more time, though is a mix of cardio with the strength conditioning techniques. In that regard I am not inflating muscles, though gaining them in higher mass per volume.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to gain weight, you need to take in more calories than you are burning. That is easy. Eat, eat, eat. Eat anything you want. If you want to tweak it, figure out how much you are burning, then cut down on cardio. Then you can eat less. But if you are burning more calories than you are putting in, no amount of working out is going to get you bigger.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    JKD, BJJ, Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the input. By no means am I opposed to other conditioning, it was more so a matter of energy expenditure. The lack of stability in my regard has been a number of months dealing with the Bullshit of others who found my accountability measures made me an easy scapegoat.

If I hadn't head fast in my ways, I would probably be in jail, and better off in terms of physic since the system provides more services to prisoners than to working class citizens. That topic is for another thread though.

Fact is I didn't assault the **** heads through this. I had a busy schedule though had accounted for my time and energy, as well as allowing for both time to account for mishaps, and free time.

I had to sacrifice all of that as well as sleeping habits, and later eating habits. Though am on track again.

The point of this is that much of the running I did was to support my traveling needs around town, as well as running/walking to cool down so I didn't start blasting people in the face though it honestly would have done them good. I simply enjoyed continuing that regiment. So that was my go to workout as I knew my nutrition was slacking and didn't want to expend too much energy, thus I wasn't lifting.

The dancing is something a refuse to stop, that is a part of my life, and I find running helps in that regard. Though I agree squats will do me good. I am currently low on fund, though with the semester done already have employment opportunities afoot. Simply a matter of Doing work and school is fine, just not finishing a semester and starting a new job. Hence why I am looking for cheaper solutions to my situation.

Also, I did forget to leave out that I am currently 6'-6'1" in height.

Everything I have seen in the replies validates my thoughts for nutritional intake.

jspeedy: I do consider such loads weight training, though as voiced more implemented in cardio and speed training, than scaled lifting and muscular strength conditioning.

By no means do I find 30-50 pound backpacks heavy, that was just an average of my daily payload. Same goes with the Boots, at this point they seem normal to me and walking with hiking sandals or barefoot makes me very light footed.

I have done my fair share of manual labor, and while I respect that it needs done and those who do it, know that it is not the best way to implement my skill sets.

1point2: Such workouts are not "silly" I have a large range of motion, and gained a strong foundation as well as striking speed from them.

Just last night I was grappling with a guy who had 100lb on me and couldn't take me, he grapples competitively himself.

I also was messing around with two other friends who have combat experience, working with movement and striking measures. I stood between them and would bob and weave between the two, striking in such ways that I could account for both and create distance if not landing destructive blows. They never landed a hit on me. This was just casual partial contact sparring so the point was not to send my opponents to the ground.

By no means am I the greatest, nor am I a better person; I simply make good defined choices based on my circumstances and situation awareness. As such I use whatever I have to best effect. I train everyday, and look to different forms of movement to acquire the better use of my bodily mechanics.

Cuddles: Thank you for the productive feedback, and quoted sources. While I can not join a gym at this time, such facilities are something I desire to look into.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last