Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 6:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why mixedmartialarts.com sucks: Censorship in Scott Sonnonís threads

At mixedmartialarts.com in the Strength and Conditioning forum Mr. Scott Sonnon posted two threads containing excerpts of his TACFIT video. The entire video package is listed on his site as selling for $399.00. Some people made positive comments remarking that they were eager to try the workout. However, soon something suspicious started to occur. One poster told me he posted the word ďspamĒ to denote that he thought Mr. Sonnon was engaging in a sales tactic. This personís post was immediately deleted. I personally posted a question where I asked about the applicability of the exercises depicted on the video to their stated purpose. My post was then deleted. In fact, I posted this same post SEVERAL times and it was continuously deleted. Here is my deleted post question that I asked Mr. Sonnon:

At http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCmI57AkHVk&feature=related in your introduction to tacfit you say that general fitness is not possible, but only specificity can occur. How are these exercises specific to kickboxing?
    Secondly, how is kickboxing specific to the tactical needs of military/police?

So why were mine and some other posts deleted while those seemingly more favorable to Mr.Sonnon not deleted? I think that my post was fair, applicable, and relevant. It was not sarcastic or in any way meant to be what Mr. Sonnon is quick to label as a ďtroll comment.Ē This is not the first time I have been treated this way by Mr. Sonnon. Several years ago on Sonnonís site I suggested that one could make their own clubbells out of inexpensive materials. Scott protested that I should not call his clubs expensive on his site. I withdrew form the thread, but he banned me from his site. I came on to his forum at mixedmartialarts.com and asked him why he banned me since I had made it clear that I had withdrawn from the conversation he had objected to. I was then banned from mixedmartialarts.com.

Years later Sonnon posted to Ross Enamaitís site, and I mentioned the incident to Scott on that forum. He publicly invited me back to his site. I then sent an e-mail to Kirik at mixedmartialarts.com stating that I was back on Scottís site and that I wanted to also rejoin mixedmartialarts.com. Kirik approved this, and I have been a member and poster to Sonnonís site, mixedmartialarts.com, and Sonnonís blog for years.

Mr. Sonnon is well aware of all of this. He and I have had discussions on his site where I have asked many questions and made many comments. I once told him I liked his Saddle video and he asked me to write a review of it. In one of his newsletters he even quoted me by name as saying I thought the video was good.

If he had simply disregarded my posts I would have just assumed that he found the question too uncomfortable to answer, and I would have left it at that. But after my posts were erased I started a thread entitled ďCensorship on Sonnonís ThreadĒ. I detailed what occurred, and soon many others joined in to say they too have had similar experiences. One member stated that he had simply given his opinion on Sonnonís book inside a thread started by another person, and his post was deleted.

My censorship thread stood for several days and even Kirik contributed to it. Suddenly the entire thread was deleted, and when I attempted to log in I received a message that I had been banned from mixedmartialrts.com. WTF?

I am not a Sonnon basher or a troll. I donít even care that Scott posted the TACFIT video. However, I saw what I perceived to be a contradiction in the video with what Scott has written in the past. I am also skeptical about the applicability of the movements depicted in the video to kickboxing. That is my opinion, and I called Sonnon on it. I had no hidden motives to ďtrickĒ or disrespect him. In my past posting history I have asked similar tough critical questions of coaches Taku, and Joel Jammison. The only difference is that these guys did not delete my posts. They answered them! I actually ended up buying Jamisonís book after our dialog.

I fully understand that because mixedmartialarts.com is privately owned there are no constitutional issues. However, the right to free speech is ingrained in all people. Mr. Sonnon is NOT the victim in this case! What did I do wrong? If Mr. Sonnon deleted my posts and my thread it is his actions that are clearly out of line. Using oneís power as a moderator to delete posts you do not like is dishonorable and unethical.
    Last edited by kuzushi1; 12/09/2009 6:49pm at .

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuzushi1 View Post
    I fully understand that because mixedmartialarts.com is privately owned there are no constitutional issues. However, the right to free speech is ingrained in all people. Mr. Sonnon is NOT the victim in this case! What did I do wrong? If Mr. Sonnon deleted my posts and my thread it is his actions that are clearly out of line. Using oneís power as a moderator to delete posts you do not like is dishonorable and unethical.
    You have discovered the true meaning of Christmas. And this site.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie

KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took years to get banned from there for the first time, but now I get banned every 6 months or so. I even bought a fucking bluename and they still banned me.

Anyway, he pays to advertise there=They tailor the forums to suit his needs

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ICY View Post
    It took years to get banned from there for the first time, but now I get banned every 6 months or so. I even bought a fucking bluename and they still banned me.
    A little talent goes a long way.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    12/09/2009 11:44pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Join the sonnon banned club.
    Most of ASA members from the WWG thread were banned from the RMAX forum...some who have never even questioned him there. They questioned him in WWG forum, but got banned on RMAX. Pre-emtive banning...LOL.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 12:24am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There has only been one person pre-emptively banned on Bullshido. (Of 3,000) Her name was Ying Yang Dagger, and she was literally nuts. As in mentally ill. When she showed up here from the Kung Fu forums I hit her with the ban stick after about twenty five posts.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 12:34am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scott Sonnon hasn't mastered the art of people disagreeing with him yet.
    I once posted a comment on article he wrote telling him to (though I used more polite words at the time) cite his damn sources like a grownup, and it was immediately deleted.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sambosteve View Post
    Join the sonnon banned club.
    Most of ASA members from the WWG thread were banned from the RMAX forum...some who have never even questioned him there. They questioned him in WWG forum, but got banned on RMAX. Pre-emtive banning...LOL.
    Maybe we should start a Sonnon banned club. Like a facebook group or something.

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 10:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hoping ICY will explain how he got banned from Sherdog.

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 11:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ya know, kickboxing is just a great way to train. I can see making a case for tailoring it to LEO's even if they're not going to use it in the field. Having the conditioning and confidence and etc is excellent.

Pretty much anything full-contact from kickboxing to Rugby will give you a heads-up under duress awareness. I'm always surprised that Sonnon won't make his point with people and goes the bitch route of delete/ban.

Also, mma.tv is teh ghey, its a MABS fact!
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast