Registered Member

Achievements:
    31 days registeredTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 11:58am

Style: Judo & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    The site policy not too long ago was "open season on noobs found outside Newbietown".

It was always the practice. Whichever noobs survived the process became integrated.
    I have always found that the respective TMA forums and I assume the basic technique forums have always been rather hospitable to noobs as long as they have posted valid questions. Any time I post a video from a tournament up here I get nothing but solid and friendly advice in abundance.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:10pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Most of those are lurkers... because shitting on new members, rather than integrating them into the community, has become the standard practice for a few people who apparently took Omega's razzing at face value as something to emulate.
    Oh sure, blame it on me.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registeredTagger Second ClassOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judokarl View Post
    I have always found that the respective TMA forums and I assume the basic technique forums have always been rather hospitable to noobs as long as they have posted valid questions. Any time I post a video from a tournament up here I get nothing but solid and friendly advice in abundance.
    OK let me clarify what I meant, after all, so that we can move on.

I made an observation about why I thought the non-Newbietown forums had become a flamepit for noobs; that some people interpreted the site/Newbietown policies a certain way, especially based on the older site rules of brutal, open discussion and "Are you a Dick, Asshole, or *****" paradigm. Veteran posters know EXACTLY what I mean.

What I think has happened at least since I joined (the immediate post-Cy Q Faunce era) is that the site members end up constantly trying to expose each OTHER as frauds and liars. In other words, who is going to be the NEXT Cy? Maybe it's the guy standing next to you...

I think that is what ultimately hurts site membership....the Bullshido Inquisition process itself. If I am guilty of taking part against noobs, it is because I am a product of that policy. Even years later, I will post some minor claim with some evidence, and it becomes a "WHO ARE YOU REALLY" routine. That gets old.

I don't mind the Inquisition, or following whatever rules I am asked to follow here; I am an honest and open guy, after all. I try to play well with others

Lastly, and with emotional content:
    If anyone thinks I have trouble admitting when I am wrong, you should have seen me before I joined Bullshido.net.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/20/2013 12:27pm at . Reason: That's all, folks.

Administrator

Achievements:
    OverdriveTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsThree Friends3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:28pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    OK let me clarify what I meant, after all, so that we can move on.

I made an observation about why I thought the non-Newbietown forums had become a flamepit for noobs; that some people interpreted the site/Newbietown policies a certain way, especially based on the older site rules of brutal, open discussion and "Are you a Dick, Asshole, or *****" paradigm. Veteran posters know EXACTLY what I mean.

What I think has happened at least since I joined (the immediate post-Cy Q Faunce era) is that the site members end up constantly trying to expose each OTHER as frauds and liars. In other words, who is going to be the NEXT Cy? Maybe it's the guy standing next to you...

I think that is what ultimately hurts site membership....the Bullshido Inquisition process itself. If I am guilty of taking part against noobs, it is because I am a product of that policy. Even years later, I will post some minor claim with some evidence, and it becomes a "WHO ARE YOU REALLY" routine. That gets old.

I don't mind the Inquisition, or following whatever rules I am asked to follow here; I am an honest and open guy, after all. I try to play well with others

Lastly, and with emotional content:
    If anyone thinks I have trouble admitting when I am wrong, you should have seen me before I joined Bullshido.net.
    Why are you yelling?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:38pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Didn't I already explain all this, Wabbit?

Lightweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It probably wouldn't hurt to establish some basic ground rules for the forum in the "Welcome To Bullshido" e-mail... maybe even a link to some of the important sticky threads?

I joined up back in 2010, and this was the e-mail:

"Dear goshinbudoJJ,

Thanks for registering at No BS MMA and Martial Arts! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts"

Definitely welcoming, but somewhat lacking as far as forum guidelines/etiquette. Probably not a bad idea to instruct new users to introduce themselves in noobietown before posting elsewhere....

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:39pm

Style: HEMA (out of practice)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Why are you yelling?
    Some expression of emotional response on his part. I guess.

On hiatus

Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Getting fat.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Didn't I already explain all this, Wabbit?
    Yes he said that. Did you even read the thread?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Achievements:

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:41pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goshinbudoJJ View Post
    It probably wouldn't hurt to establish some basic ground rules for the forum in the "Welcome To Bullshido" e-mail... maybe even a link to some of the important sticky threads?

I joined up back in 2010, and this was the e-mail:

"Dear goshinbudoJJ,

Thanks for registering at No BS MMA and Martial Arts! We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts"

Definitely welcoming, but somewhat lacking as far as forum guidelines/etiquette. Probably not a bad idea to instruct new users to introduce themselves in noobietown before posting elsewhere....
    How about "Don't get buttsore if we call you on your BS you whining little ****"?

Lightweight

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Judo, JJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    How about "Don't get buttsore if we call you on your BS you whining little ****"?

That works
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 78 LastLast