Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 2:40pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ICA has a new jazzed-up web site: http://www.combatauthority.com/

In further attempts to contact Spencer, I sent the following message to the e-mail address on the site and through the on-site question submission form:

Mr. Spencer:

My name is Matt. I am the writer of the martial arts blog The Young Grasshopper and a member of the internet martial arts communities Martial Arts Planet and Bullshido. I first became acquainted with you during your brief time on Martial Arts Planet (hereafter referred to as MAP). In the thread you made on MAP, you made some very hard-to-believe claims about your martial arts background and your military experience. After you left MAP, administrators kept the thread open and used it to keep track of your further martial arts business endeavors.

We discovered recently that you are heading the ICA and charging security personnel for your services as a combat instructor. Given the questionable credentials you supplied to us on MAP, I was a little disturbed to discover this, and took what MAP had learned about you to Bullshido, a community dedicated to exposing dishonesty and fraud in the martial arts.

In the course of investigating you, Bullshido has discovered that you have made many claims like the ones you made on MAP in other places on the internet. You can find the Bullshido thread about this investigation at the URL below.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120865

You may, of course, choose to ignore this investigation, but I should let you know that the MAP thread you made (which has since become a chronology of your martial arts business endeavors) and the Bullshido thread about you both appear on the first page of results of a Google search for "richard spencer ica" or "richard spencer international combat authority". In light of this, it may be in your best interest to come to Bullshido and give your side of the story.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
    Matt S. (OwlMatt)

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 5:25pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some questions for Richard Spencer.

I've made them bold so not to be missed.

With just four years of military service in the British Army, what qualifies you to offer the services to the Military/Security sector as described in your website?

What martial arts qualifications do you hold, what proof do you have which demonstrates the CQC technical content you teach actually works?

Your organisation claims to be the "Governing Body" for CQC within the Military and Security sectors. I'm guessing you made that up yourself. Can you demonstrate where Military personnel require "Governing" from a non legal/military source?

Your supposed "Governing Body" status... Does what exactly?

I look forward to your responses.

"To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 3:11am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

ICA

I also note from the new website:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richard Spencer US Marines.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	14938

Another question for Mr Spencer - why would members of the US Marines and Rangers (who I assume have perfectly good CQC training) spend over $2000 per person to send troops to one of his courses? Can he provide any evidence of this?

I'm assuming that he is aware of this thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 3:27am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post

I'm assuming that he is aware of this thread.
    I thought that too by the way he has omitted all but the initial of the last names on the new site.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 8:07am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got an e-mail back from the International Combat Authority:

Good morning Mat S

Thank you for your recent email that has been forwarded to me from our administration.

Before we discuss anything with you please can you send me your full name, your full checkable address as well contact telephone numbers, landline and mobile preferably.

Once we have done our due diligence on you and the websites that you mentioned in your email then we can discuss things further.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Sarah Doherty
    Legal & Investigations
    International Combat Authority
    sarahdoherty@icauk.org
    UK Registered: 08210437
    Not sure how to reply to this. I'm certainly not going to give them all my contact information.

EDIT: Wait a minute. Wasn't Sarah Doherty the name on one of the testimonials? Looking now, I see that it has been changed to Sarah D, but I'm pretty sure that was the name.
    Last edited by OwlMatt; 6/06/2013 8:29am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 8:40am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reads like she is trying to call your bluff to see how far you'll take it.

EDIT IN REPLY TO MATT'S EDIT: Yes. HERE is the public profile of her LinkedIn page.

This is part of the problem that has been stalling my searches. I ended up running around in one big circle jerk.
    Last edited by Cake of Doom; 6/06/2013 8:43am at .

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Just got an e-mail back from the International Combat Authority:

Not sure how to reply to this. I'm certainly not going to give them all my contact information.
    I disagree with CoD - read it like they are trying to conduct an investigation of you, the purpose of which is to discredit you and your investigation of them. A legal consult would be my next course of action.

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 9:05am

hall of famestaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wrote Sarah a nice email asking how the ICA obtains criminal prosecutorial power in the United States. In their enforcement penalties section they claim:

"In special cases the International Combat Authority will and can prosecute offenders as a result of criminal activity relating to the skills that the licensee has obtained".

Err, how? Though which section of the Federal Code? In the United States, the federal government does not allow for private criminal prosecutions and state governments generally do not either. So I asked for the appropriate section of US Code.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 9:22am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm - I also smell a degree of Bull around Ms Doherty from her LinkedIn profile
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SarahDoherty.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	14939

She claims in her work history to have been a "Private Detective / Investigator" for Greater Manchester Police.

I wasn't aware that the Police in the UK uses private Detectives or Investigators. She claims to have done some courses with the Police but does not appear to have been a serving officer. Most strange......

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 9:23am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    I disagree with CoD - read it like they are trying to conduct an investigation of you, the purpose of which is to discredit you and your investigation of them. A legal consult would be my next course of action.
    I would say you're both right. My first instinct is that it's a version of "libel chill", where a reporter is threatened with a libel suit to make them back off - OwlMatt's reaction, saying "I'm not going to give them my contact information" will generate a response of "then we're not going to cooperate with you," which is exactly what they want.

The other aspect is yes, they can start building a file and digging for dirt.
Page 8 of 77 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011121858 ... LastLast