Our Sponsors:

Page 18 of 77 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 192021222868 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 11:15am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just spent a little more time on the ICA / Spencer website and I'm perplexed at the way people just 'buy' the course they want through paypal without there being any predisposed list of course dates available.

When you consider the cost of these courses (and they aren't cheap) are prospective clients expected to just pick what course material they want but then expected to pay up front before gaining any idea when the material you're paying for would be redeemed ?

The fact the ICA use paypal as their means of processing payments is pretty laughable given the company's supposed purpose and, indicates they most likely don't have a merchant account with a bank to handle those payments.

Given there's no explanation or information on the availability of the courses the ICA apparently offer that all seems a bizarre business practice to me.

As a team leader operating in the private security sector, if I were looking to source a supplier for this type of training, I'd be giving the International Combat Authority a WIDE birth. As a professional and a manager working for a leading UK risk management and security consultancy, the ICA do not give me the impression of a credible company to be contracting out to.

If the CEO, Richard Spencer has just 4 years of military service in a rear echelon corps, he will not possess the military based experience his online persona(s) would otherwise suggest, again, the fact he's now editing those websites and removing references to the British Army and Commando service is quite indicative behaviour of those who typical wish to withdraw inaccurate information once challenged.

The ICA website doesn't cite where the experience or qualifications to deliver the training offered on that website ultimately comes from however, if you were to believe the various incarnations of the [pre-edited] websites of Richard Spencer, you'd be forgiven for thinking that Mr. Spencer has a wealth of military knowledge and or experience which, it's highly unlikely he actually has.

If Mr. Spencer is drawing from his 'extensive' martial arts background which has lead him to an 8th degree black belt in the system he himself created, then I'd personally challenge the validity of that material by asking these simple questions...

What physical evidence exists which demonstrates that the technical content of the martial arts (CQC/CQB) offered by the ICA actually works against fully resisting and or armed opponents ?

What are the foundations of that training, indeed who were Spencer's original martial arts teachers and in what arts, and to what level of proficiency did Richard Spencer achieve before creating Xa-Ryu et al ?

I doubt Richard Spencer of the International Combat Authority will actually choose to address those questions and by and large we will be left to formulate our own opinions on both the credibility of the man himself, and ultimately the organisation for which he's the CEO.

Mr Spencer, do you have anything you'd like to add?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 11:55am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rock Ape - good post.

Over the last twenty years I have bought a lot of training from third party training providors either for myself (I'm currently a freelance consultant) or for the companies and organisations that I have been working at.

The things that you expect from a training providor and their website are:
    • Course syllabus
    • Dates of training
    • Training location
    • Some details of the trainers background - e.g. are they certified in the field I want to train in
    • Ability to buy online (not via Paypal)

Quite honestly the ICA utterly fails in this regard. Just having a website is what training companies did twenty years ago.

I cannot believe that Spencer will get any business from his website becouse it fails to meet the above bullet points.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:12pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General question for those with military experience: how much of real CQB training is hand-to-hand stuff? I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of that is done with guns, a subject in which Spencer has never claimed any expertise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:29pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent time in the RLC (the Corp. Mr Spencer claims service in) and I will happily tell you that it is rare for the supply/service side of the forces to get the training that he is trying to sell. As previously mentioned, I was a driver/radio operator and to futher the driver side of my training, I enquired about an escape and evasive maneuvers course. I got laughed at. Those sorts of things were only really available to the Royal Military Police.

What do you think the answer would have been if I'd have asked for specalised CQC/CQB training? Bare in mind I was a short timer too.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:31pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    General question for those with military experience: how much of real CQB training is hand-to-hand stuff? I'm certainly no expert, but I was under the impression that the vast majority of that is done with guns, a subject in which Spencer has never claimed any expertise.
    From BritFor.. NONE.

In all the operational deployments I've been involved with, no one ever needed or focused on CQB/CQC in terms of hand to hand.

We did "Public Order" training:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557056_3604541514303_207245863_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	14986

Name:	555291_3604543794360_2037991309_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	14987

And we do a LOT of short range marksmanship (CQB Range)

Name:	705331_10151639908784544_2118922302_o.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	14988

Name:	7136_10151639906714544_1537401507_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	14989

Name:	976743_10151639922319544_313569019_o.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	14990

But no one ever said hey guys we're going to teach you how to do crane stance or do breakfalls in full gear. (Because you can't do either.) Sarcasm aside, the whole, gun disarm/retention hand to hand concept is one big con in terms of infantry soldiering.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that at Lydd?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Was that at Lydd?
    Bisley, this year.

The photo used as my avatar was taken on the 25m range at Waddington.

The public order shots were at Honington.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah. That explains the lack of shingle and why nobody looks really depressed then.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 1:51pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    Ah. That explains the lack of shingle and why nobody looks really depressed then.
    Yeah but it is ALDERSHOT ! I mean, one slice of toast with breakfast and wo-be-tide you take more than two weatabix !!

Anyway back on topic.

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:51pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On topic indeed...

Web address has now changed from the original in the OP.
    New site is now here: http://www.combatauthority.com

You'll also notice that "guarantee" sticker has now been changed to some sort of digital security certificate for information encryption.

Name:	update.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	14991

The testimonials and about us sections are currently blank.