Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 3:20pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don�t train TaiJi myself but can say something about the curriculum as I regularly train with the taiji people of our school.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lao Tse View Post
    2) What does a combat taijiquan curriculum look like? Does it include hand form practice? If so are short or long forms more popular among the martial crowd?

) What are the stylistic differences in how the major styles (Yang, Chen, and Wu) fight?
    b) Are some styles more immediately transferable to a street fighting context?
    We do Yang style taiji. As far as I understand Yang style contains more striking while Chen style includes more grappling. Both are useful for fighting but there seems to be a tendency for Chen stylists to focus more on the fighting aspect while Yang style people often do it for the health.

At our school complete forms are rarely practiced. Instead you learn a technique from the form. Practice it standing, moving and with a partner. Also while it can be useful to practice some techniques slowly, you need to practice them at full speed too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 12:32am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that all of you made good points (except that Yang does more striking than Chen), but from my understanding the unarmed forms primarily teach you shēn​fǎ (身法 - or how to move your body). Most importantly, perhaps, is chnku (沉跨 - dropping/relaxing the hips). Learning that you must always have different body parts going in different directions (something goes up when something else comes down, etc.), your body alignment and other such things are all included in that.

The forms must be practised over and over and over for the first several years so that you develop incredible leg strength and are firmly rooted. Eventually you should be able to do the form at a snail's pace and the stances extremely low. If you can relax your upper body even when your legs are on fire, the fire will eventually go away and then its time to add upper-body strength to the equation (if strength training is glossed over look elsewhere). In my opinion, the heavy emphasis on forms is justified in this case.

Lastly, the forms, especially the second, trains fājn (发劲 - explosive power). I have yet to see much proper fajin on Youtube or other such sites. The difference between bad fajin and the real thing is mind-boggling. I won't write about it much (it's difficult to describe), but once you've seen a proper 二路, the second form, there's no going back!

Anyways, good luck and train hard. My teacher is old school and the first year to two is all foundation training, then strength training, then tuīshǒu (推手 - Pushing hands), applications and finally free sparring. There is a saying: 太极拳十年不出门 - Taijiquan doesn't exit the gate for ten years, which means it takes a while before you can use it to fight. It's like any other martial art, but with a steep learning curve in the first several years. It will take a lot of dedication. Don't give up. Train the way that your instructor did to get where they are. If they didn't get anywhere look elsewhere!
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 5/27/2013 12:38am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Bez is correct. That para stood out and immediately got my attention. Well done Riv.

Another minor point is that in the UK, TCC instructors are graded:

S Cat - teaching for over 20 years.
    A Cat - knows the 4 elements: Hand Form, Push Hands, Weapons, Chi Gung
    B Cat - know 2 of the 4
    TPA - Third Party Accreditation - commonly taught in China, Taiwan etc.
    Small point:
    This is true of people registered with the TCUGB. If they are not members of that organization they won't be 'graded' in that way.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

here be some combat taijiquan
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12