Sponsored Links Spacer Image

:)

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 1:44am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    And what advantage is there to snapping a hook instead of just driving through?
    The difference between bumping someone with a car door, and driving into them with the car. If you're pushing past, say 2-4 inches into the target before retracting that limb, you're slowing down your guard recovery time, and helping to dissipate the impact, by shoving them in the direction of the strike.

Go now, and watch a best of Ernesto Hoost, for all things concerning perfect striking form (kickboxing).
    One more thing, I tend to shovel hook more than hook because I have trouble bring my elbow up to keep my entire arm in line (I feel very open and vulnerable without my elbows hugging my body)
    If you stop pushing punches, you'll be faster. Try a chicken wing flap thing, where when it's time for the hook, you bring the elbow up, till you're arm is horizontal, to land a boss hook (but not leaning). As soon as you land (2" behind the target area, roughly), start tucking your elbow back the moment you start retracting your glove to your temples, not after. Bye bye exposed rib issue, mostly.

Your hands/arms don't come back to your guard, the way they leave it.

Consider adjusting how you return to your guard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 2:09am

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    The difference between bumping someone with a car door, and driving into them with the car. If you're pushing past, say 2-4 inches into the target before retracting that limb, you're slowing down your guard recovery time, and helping to dissipate the impact, by shoving them in the direction of the strike.

Go now, and watch a best of Ernesto Hoost, for all things concerning perfect striking form (kickboxing).
    Ernesto Hoost is actually the reason why I want to relearn how to strike. I want to fight just like him. I have noticed that he throws long-range hooks once he starts committing though.

If you stop pushing punches, you'll be faster. Try a chicken wing flap thing, where when it's time for the hook, you bring the elbow up, till you're arm is horizontal, to land a boss hook (but not leaning). As soon as you land (2" behind the target area, roughly), start tucking your elbow back the moment you start retracting your glove to your temples, not after. Bye bye exposed rib issue, mostly.
    Okay. I was taught to push through the punch in order to penetrate my strike. I'll have to take some time slowly adjusting to this. Little cloudy on the tucking my ribs back in.

Your hands/arms don't come back to your guard, the way they leave it.

Consider adjusting how you return to your guard.
    Could you explain? I go from the end of my hook to moving my fist towards my cheek so my arm is vertical, and then dropping my elbow. It feels slow and follows the same path that I threw the hook in. (just my arm is in a different position as it moves back to the guard)
    Ernesto has his hands dropped right after he breaks off his opponent with a hook before he brings it up. However, I doubt that's "correct" form, rather just an energy-conserving strategy for high intensity matches.

I know this hardly replaces actual training and teaching, but it's the best I can do with 2 grappling styles.

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 3:25am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (im talking about boxing, have zero knowledge about mma boxing..didnt know there was much difference.)
    Well, a proper hook, comes from the body (as u know). To try and simulate the proper movement, practice hitting the bag with your shoulder only, it will help you exaggerate the movement. You basically have to imagine your hands are ropes with rocks in the end, and your aim is to swivel the rope to the sack, this way your body generates the energy, and everything not working is as loose as possible. What you do with the body (hips, shoulders etc.) is not just a left or right swivel, you also ad a little up and down movement with the shoulder that hits. Keep your hand as loose as possible, imagine it is a rope, the body is the generator, than just as you hit, you clinch the fist tighter, and jolt the elbow a little to aline it to the same height as the fist. To know you are doing it properly, the shoulder is quicker than the fist, that comes a millisec after and you get this snappy stuff you were talking about when it ricochet backwards from the bag. You use this recoil from the bag/opponents to prop back to your neutral stance.
    It feels that if you want a very hard hook, you need to use the biceps, that isn't true, the proper rope like technique is both very powerful and energy saving.

For the long hook, i find it very hard to hit with the knuckles properly, and instead the finger knuckles hit. In boxing this is not the end of the world (not a legal punch, but u will survive it fine). So, i found out that if i turn my punching hand's thumb down, the first knuckle will hit and the fingers will be spared. That works for me with long range hooks. For close range, the fingers are facing towards you. Middle range they face down..
    I would imagine that with the MMA gloves it is even more important to protect the finger knuckles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much erezb! I was taught that allowing your shoulder to lead would result in injuring your shoulder at impact. I'll hit the bag with this in a little bit.

:)

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay. I was taught to push through the punch in order to penetrate my strike. I'll have to take some time slowly adjusting to this. Little cloudy on the tucking my ribs back in.
    With focus mitts, you want a nice pop, where your punches land about an inch or two before your full realization of impact, but you don't commit any weight in the form of a lean, or post punch push. Leave a good shot, or shots, and be retracting.

If you conceptualize punching as not only techniques for landing shots, but also techniques for safely avoiding counterpunches, and minimizing openings...you'll improve more rapidly.

A right cross is as much about getting your hand back to your head, as throwing it out there. Same goes for any strike. Combined with footwork, you become a mobile platform of hurt.
    Could you explain? I go from the end of my hook to moving my fist towards my cheek so my arm is vertical, and then dropping my elbow. It feels slow and follows the same path that I threw the hook in. (just my arm is in a different position as it moves back to the guard)
    the elbow tucks back in, while your hand is being retracted.

For hooks, I imagine a string tied between my elbow and hip bone. As soon as I get the pop, if I'm not grabbing/clinching with that hand, it's as though the string from the hip, pulls my elbow to just above it, with more urgency than even my hand getting back.

If you're chin is tucked into the shoulder a little for the hook, the ribs are more vulnerable, so feel free to give them priority, if you've taken head measures.

Counter kicks in the ribs bite, and I'm skinny, so it was always a priority.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 1:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a ton for your help :) Unfortunately, I don't have access to any focus mitts at the moment, but I will work on what you've said. Thank you!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    I would imagine that with the MMA gloves it is even more important to protect the finger knuckles.
    We were taught fingers down always. Big +1 on practicing the hook with the body only.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 4:22am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    We were taught fingers down always. Big +1 on practicing the hook with the body only.
    It is also accepted to strike a hook with the fingers all facing you. I find it "safer" on my thumb. Sometimes the thumb can get hurt from the guy's guard when your fingers face down. The thumb is even more sensitive than the smaller knuckles.. So if you have to choose to connect with the thumb on a guys elbow or glove, or the smaller knuckles (when fingers point towards yourself..there is that chance), i'll choose the latter.
    If you face a heavy bag, and you start striking hooks (basically 90ish degree angle in your arm) from the bottom (kinda upper cuts to the midsection) up, your fingers start by pointing upwards towards your face, than you start painting an arc,..when your fist strikes higher and higher, your thumb if it was extended starts from pointing to the left, to pointing up, when you hit the target at mid level, and than when you strike over your chin level your thumb starts pointing towards you. And if the target is very high, or far, the thumb points down so the knuckle hits. That is how i do it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12