5/23/2013 2:31pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by baby_cart View Post
    but the flies were real!! LOL!

??

was it me or was it him?
    Fake blood is colored syrup, so yes, the flies were real.

And you're right, my apologies, it was vaquero who implied old school buj was somehow decent. I will now commit seppuku.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/23/2013 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does it matter if a guy headbutted a rock until his head bled, or if he just made it appear that way? Either way the guy's pretty stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 8:01pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post
    Fake blood is colored syrup, so yes, the flies were real.

And you're right, my apologies, it was vaquero who implied old school buj was somehow decent. I will now commit seppuku.
    I wasn't implying anything. The way Bujinkan was taught and trained in the early days is different than it is now.

The video posted is a variation on the old school training, though from what I understand Yoshi is not with the Buj now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 1:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    I wasn't implying anything. The way Bujinkan was taught and trained in the early days is different than it is now.

The video posted is a variation on the old school training, though from what I understand Yoshi is not with the Buj now.
    So what is your take on old school buj?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 11:15pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean as training or a martial art in general?

It seems as though it evolved from a harder, more in-your-face system, to a more aikido-like, softer system. The instructor I started with has been going to Japan two to three times a year for thirty years. He's very much up on the current training there.

A couple of years ago, I trained for two weeks with another instructor. He hasn't been training in Japan anywhere near as much. He showed me what they were doing, which was much more power oriented. Throwing hard blocks, trying to generate hip and shoulder power. More like karate, at least the karate I trained in. At some point he popped me in the mouth with a bo. Hard enough to leave bruising for several weeks.

Do I think it's the best martial art ever? Hard to say. The lack of regular sparring is a problem. The technique is good, it works, but if you had no experience before that? There's a good chance you're going to get schooled out on the street. The joint locks work, and work very well, but if you struggle to put locks on you will get clocked or stabbed. It very much depends on the instructor. A person who has no experience other than the Buj, I would steer away from.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 3:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back during my brief stint in the booj these AKBAN guys were considered pretty hardcore in their training. They seemed to put a lot more emphasis on being fit than your average bujinkan dojo.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 11:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    You mean as training or a martial art in general?

It seems as though it evolved from a harder, more in-your-face system, to a more aikido-like, softer system. The instructor I started with has been going to Japan two to three times a year for thirty years. He's very much up on the current training there.

A couple of years ago, I trained for two weeks with another instructor. He hasn't been training in Japan anywhere near as much. He showed me what they were doing, which was much more power oriented. Throwing hard blocks, trying to generate hip and shoulder power. More like karate, at least the karate I trained in. At some point he popped me in the mouth with a bo. Hard enough to leave bruising for several weeks.

Do I think it's the best martial art ever? Hard to say. The lack of regular sparring is a problem. The technique is good, it works, but if you had no experience before that? There's a good chance you're going to get schooled out on the street. The joint locks work, and work very well, but if you struggle to put locks on you will get clocked or stabbed. It very much depends on the instructor. A person who has no experience other than the Buj, I would steer away from.
    Thanks for the answer. Looking at it objectively there are a whole lot if things that run counter to what is generally considered efficient technique, envelope with their old school training. Like emphasis on lunge punches, blocks that take time to execute do to their extended circular motions, and not a lot of hip movement to generate power behind their kicks... Not to mention the odd emphasis on wrist locks which- while I do agree they can work- tend to be very low percentage against a resisting opponent.

The problem with a lack of sparring is it allows these inefficient tequniques to perpetuate.

bringing it back to these Akban guys, it seems like they would have higher quality sparring sessions if they dropped the ninja training and just stuck with boxing, Muay Thai, and judo. I don't really see anything that looks like classic buj in their sparring anyway.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678