Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 8:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Are you suggesting the hey look over there kick to the balls doesn't work!?
    I'm looking away from my monitor.

Still looking away.

Still at it.

Still...

Aaaaaaaaannnnnd nope. No sack-kick from goodlun.

Conclusion: **** doesn't work.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: 無木兔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bullies taught me to fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/20/2013 10:30am

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My grandmother taught me.

No, I am not joking. My father was a wrestler, so he made sure I had the physical attributes required to fight. So by the time I was six I could do a couple of pull ups, lots of push ups (he told me he'd get me a dog if I could do 100 push ups) etc. So I was pretty strong for my age, I was also just starting Sambo. But because of this, I was afraid to hit the other kids. I thought that since they are so little and fragile I would hurt them too badly. I was beaten mercilessly just about every day and I wouldn't fight back.

Well, one day, my grandmother came down for the summer and she saw some kid punch me in the face and take my bike and I just walked away. So, she called me over and had a chat with me. She said I can't let people treat me like this and I have to hit them back. I tried telling her that I would probably hurt them, but she said that it's not my job to worry about that, and besides I wasn't Hercules so she was sure they'd be fine and not to be so full of myself. That made sense to me at my wise 6 years of age. So I went back to the playground.

The next thing my grandmother heard was cries for help and screaming children. I went to the playground and I just started laying into everyone who has ever hit me with everything I had. She ran out there and stopped me in a panic. She asked what the heck was wrong with me, and that she only told me to hit back IF someone hits me. So I said, maybe not today, but this one hit me on Tuesday, that one Monday and this one the week before etc. So he had to clarify that "hit them back" means only to directly defend yourself.

But what I really took away from that exercise is that I really can lay into somebody as hard as I can it they'll be just fine in the long run. So that was my version of getting cured of the notion that my punches would be too deadly for real use and that humans weren't made of glass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2014 3:01pm

Style: Shotokan JKD Concepts BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad taught me how to be afraid. He was a large man, very aggressive, loved to fight, the kind of guy who went to bars where there would be fights, stabbings, people getting there heads cracked with cue sticks, you know, fun time places. He carried this attitude at all times, his voice would raise, everyone would be afraid, especially me, carried that fear for years as a youth, anytime someone would come on strong fear and panic would set in.

My first karate instructor taught my how to overcome that fear, how to strike, punch and kick with power and speed, how to aggressively dominate an opponent. So credit for this goes to him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2014 10:43am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good ol' grampa laid the philosophical foundations.

My mother was working in another state, and my dad's work schedule made it impossible for him to take care of me, so for several years I literally lived with my grandparents. I'd only see my mom on the weekends, and my dad late on the afternoon. My dad would take me to krotty every day. Other than that my education at home depended on my grandparents, who at the time were closing on 60 yo.

So, I got into a fight and went home half crying because I didn't want to hit anyone because I didn't want to be a bad kid and they wouldn't leave me alone. Grampa gave me a speech about how I never, ever, should start a fight, under no ciscumstances, but to always make sure to finish it by all means possible. In his words, "I rather pay for another kid's tooth than yours".

Good ol' grampa.

Posted On:
    9/21/2014 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish someone would teach me to fight. To wrabbits comment the only thing bullies taught me was self loathing.

Posted On:
    9/21/2014 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Martial arts training and work mostly.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    9/21/2014 3:40pm

Style: FMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missed this thread the first time around. I learned a half assed judo sweep from my dad as a kid. My dad was often full of crap but this one worked. Grab the bully's shoulders with both hands and step forward and sweep his legs out from under him Used it shortly after he showed me the move on some kid at the bus stop. The kid wanted to fight, I sweeped him, he came at me again, I sweeped his ass, did it maybe four times in a row and the kid gave up. Win! I wish i'd have taken judo for real, my mom always frowned on martial arts. Now i'm a martial arts obsessed man-child. Probably would have been best if i had just done my time in tkd and gotten it out of my system.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2014 4:44pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The closest I've come to learning how to fight was probably rolling with people when I did BJJ. My dad's advice growing up was "Don't get into fights, but if you end up hitting someone, don't stop with just one." Pretty solid advice. I never did get into any real fights though.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast