Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 10:42pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hook

I was doing a bag workout today (A full one! Not a slacker hit-the-bag-a-few-times-cause-I'm-bored one) and noticed that my hooks well, don't hook. They don't snap off the bag, rather I end up driving through the bag.

How should I work on getting the proper form? A resource on proper mma hook form would be great.

My woeful punching also led me to rethink how I strike at all.

Thus, if it isn't too much to ask, a resource on a mma jab, straight, and uppercut would be great and much appreciated.

I am asking for mma striking because I'm more interested in the mma sport than pure striking ones such as kickboxing and boxing.

Thanks a ton for helping out a nub like me!

-----------------------------------------------

On an unrelated note, I've FINALLY been able to secure wrestling training because my school doesn't have a wrestling team or program. Due to Bullshido.net's encouragement on grappling, I've spent the past 2 months or so talking with my school's administrators as well as wrestling coaches on how I can wrestle for school.

After talking with three coaches, 2 athletics directors, my principal, my vice principal, and a CIF referee, I've succeeded in gaining free school Wrestling! There is still some debate on whether or not I will be allowed to compete in the state tournament (CIF), but at least I can train now. Yay! :) My first practice is next Monday I believe. My dad's also bringing me to check out a Judo dojo and club this next week since AP testing is over! Woot!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 11:44pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, this is fucking awesome.

To see someone have that kind of dedication and determination is rare. I applaud your effort and I hope you get to compete at state and do well, I also hope that this helps you build a foundation for future training.

Well Done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 8:48am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    On an unrelated note, I've FINALLY been able to secure wrestling training because my school doesn't have a wrestling team or program. Due to Bullshido.net's encouragement on grappling, I've spent the past 2 months or so talking with my school's administrators as well as wrestling coaches on how I can wrestle for school.

After talking with three coaches, 2 athletics directors, my principal, my vice principal, and a CIF referee, I've succeeded in gaining free school Wrestling! There is still some debate on whether or not I will be allowed to compete in the state tournament (CIF), but at least I can train now. Yay! :) My first practice is next Monday I believe. My dad's also bringing me to check out a Judo dojo and club this next week since AP testing is over! Woot!
    Check you out, the man with the plan!!! This is absolutely brilliant Cuddles, you deserve a whole lot of respect both on and offline for going out there and making your ambitions happen. This kind of drive and dedication is all too uncommon today, and you can only reap the rewards of your labour.

You're going to go far in life, young man. Good on you!

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 11:27am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the difference between an mma hook to a boxing hook?
    Good on you for changing stuff at school, im working on making Judo free in schools here, using the American model of high-school wrestling.

:)

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Cuddles, you are rocking it!!!! Well done.

I'll write my own (limited) observations on mma hooks later tonight.

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    What is the difference between an mma hook to a boxing hook?
    Well I would imagine since your stance is a little bit different to deal with being takedown that some body mechanics are going to be a little bit different. Also not having the huge gloves will change some small things. That being said not much.

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 3:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing a bag workout today (A full one! Not a slacker hit-the-bag-a-few-times-cause-I'm-bored one) and noticed that my hooks well, don't hook. They don't snap off the bag, rather I end up driving through the bag.
    1) Major props for the good **** you're putting together.

2) About the hook thing, what is your goal at the bag? While nobody should develop a habit of over-committing, you do understand that a hook is meant to be a finisher, right? I assume you know that it's not a set-up punch like, say, the jab...
    Last edited by Vieux Normand; 5/18/2013 3:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 5:58pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    2) About the hook thing, what is your goal at the bag? While nobody should develop a habit of over-committing, you do understand that a hook is meant to be a finisher, right? I assume you know that it's not a set-up punch like, say, the jab...
    I want a sharp hook that leaves them stinging even if they block it, and if I do commit with a large amount of power, to be able to strike without risk of accidentally bending my wrist in.

And thanks for the support guys! I'm really excited for practice!

:)

Posted On:
    5/18/2013 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want a sharp hook that leaves them stinging even if they block it, and if I do commit with a large amount of power, to be able to strike without risk of accidentally bending my wrist in.

And thanks for the support guys! I'm really excited for practice!
    Ok, take a common combo, say, jab-cross-hook-hook.

Don't push with the jab, or lean with the cross. Imagine you are a tower, and though you may swivel (legs bent, front foot turned in a touch, and turning on the balls of your feet), you don't lean (even to land, better to miss and have your balance for subsequent techniques, than land a painless pushing shot, and be open to a counter/throw/takedown).

With a mind to have a solid non-leaning/pushing jab-cross, you can then lay into the hooks with your hips providing the torque, and not your shoulder/arms.

If you throw a low hook, just drop your weight a little more (with your legs, and somewhat the arms). The more you bend with your legs, the less your shoulder has to come down (exposing your chin to a simultaneous counter).

I always much preferred working hooks with the focus mitts (or even Thai pad, if kicks were involved in the combo).

Knees and hooks on the heavy bag both. Not a fan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 1:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How would I go about making them snap? Could you post a quick link on the proper form?

For reference, I want my hook to look like this:

Skip to 0:55 for 2 hooks. LOL

And what advantage is there to snapping a hook instead of just driving through? Any tips for uppercuts? (being my absolute favorite strike)
    --------------Edits---------------
    Btw, great tip! I wasn't swiveling my hips enough

One more thing, I tend to shovel hook more than hook because I have trouble bring my elbow up to keep my entire arm in line (I feel very open and vulnerable without my elbows hugging my body)

I also use a vertical fist as I have a constant fear of breaking my little knuckles.

I see a lot of "only use hooks for close range", but I've seen many kickboxers (and boxers) use haymaker hooks at medium (jab) range. Which is correct?
    Last edited by Cuddles; 5/19/2013 1:23am at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast