Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 8:41pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hobbies and things I collect. Well, I have collected a bit of a microscope kit, which are leftovers from my dad and uncles from their work. It is complete with slides, slide covers, 80% alcohol, 99% acetone, lens cleansing solution, surgical blades, razor blades, syringe, 99% triacetin, immersion oil, etc.

Now I just need a microscope around the house XD I have 2, but they are left at my dad's office for me to play with around there. He's afraid that it'll be damaged or destroyed if left at home.

One is a compound microscope, which has a 400x magnification, (I like to look at blood or "samples" of things like water from a lake I've visited) and another is a stereo microscope, with a zoom of 40x.

What do I do with all of this? I use it to fulfill my hobby of catching bugs.

I usually do it barehanded or with a rubber band and a plastic case if they're more dangerous. Rarely, I use tweezers.

Today, I caught and killed 2 centipedes, a worm, an earwig, and a male mosquito with my barehands after dropping them in a small container to observe. I used a rubber band to catch 3 flies. I threw in a few drops of acetone to kill them off and use alcohol to clean the container.

I've also caught 3 spiders, with the most notable catch being a black widow (which, gratefully, I haven't killed yet, so I can have a picture). I used only the plastic container to catch him.

The container looks a little more misty than it actually is, probably due to glare.

Edit: I just killed him by suffocation. I lit a fire in there until it burned out the Oxygen, then capped him in and watched as he slowly moved less and less.

Perhaps tomorrow, I'll look for wasps. I used to hunt lizards quite often, but haven't been around to it recently. Maybe I should do it again.
    I used 3 main ways for catching lizards:
    1. Spray him with cold water so doesn't run but cools down. Walk up and grab him by the body.
    2. This one poisons and may kill him. Wear a mask. Spray him with sunscreen that has alcohol in it's ingredients. Grab him while he's doozy. Or WD-40 if you just want to poison him, though he may run if you spray with that.
    3. Use a little homemade "gun" out of a pen and 3 rubberbands. This spears him. I don't recommend this because I shot through our glass door with a misfire. It fires the pen a little stronger than a BB pellet. (My brother shot our glass door with a BB gun before. He only cracked it. I shot clean through it and shattered the entire thing. :( )

I also like fishing, rock climbing, and am currently making a dorodango, or mud ball.

I made one before, but broke it during the polishing step because I was a bit too rough in the polishing process :( GAH! That's the last step too, and I even got this beautiful white color that took ages to make.

I have the worst dirts ever: potting soil and sand. These are horrible because the main ingredient in a successful dorodango is clay (to make it stick together and shine). So I'll probably have to look around for some dirt somewhere.

Here's my half-way through one right now.

It's still moist and EXTREMELY fragile.

My other hobby is lifting weights. I'm starting to bodybuild. I'll upload pics sometime ;)
    Last edited by Cuddles; 5/25/2013 8:54pm at .

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/25/2013 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 7:05am

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Hobbies and things I collect. Well, I have collected a bit of a microscope kit, which are leftovers from my dad and uncles from their work. It is complete with slides, slide covers, 80% alcohol, 99% acetone, lens cleansing solution, surgical blades, razor blades, syringe, 99% triacetin, immersion oil, etc.

Now I just need a microscope around the house XD I have 2, but they are left at my dad's office for me to play with around there. He's afraid that it'll be damaged or destroyed if left at home.

One is a compound microscope, which has a 400x magnification, (I like to look at blood or "samples" of things like water from a lake I've visited) and another is a stereo microscope, with a zoom of 40x.
    This may sound like a no brainer, but have you tried looking on ebay for a cheap one to play with at home? I bought a second hand microscope with a zoom of up to 1200x, a micro-hatchery, couple of petri dishes, collecting vials, and 10 slides and 20 cover slips for 12. It made a great Christmas gift for my 2 young cousins, and the low price meant I could afford to get them some cool microscope & experiment books to go with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 11:31am

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katje View Post
    This may sound like a no brainer, but have you tried looking on ebay for a cheap one to play with at home? I bought a second hand microscope with a zoom of up to 1200x, a micro-hatchery, couple of petri dishes, collecting vials, and 10 slides and 20 cover slips for 12. It made a great Christmas gift for my 2 young cousins, and the low price meant I could afford to get them some cool microscope & experiment books to go with it.
    I actually haven't. My dad doesn't really trust ebay after 4 bad deals, so we just use amazon. Perhaps I'll look into it, thanks!

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 12:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    I actually haven't. My dad doesn't really trust ebay after 4 bad deals, so we just use amazon. Perhaps I'll look into it, thanks!
    Now if we were talking about our wives interest kicking ebay dealers asses that don't uphold their end of **** would be one of hers. They have a good problem resolution system. If you use an escrow service like paypal you have an extra layer of protection.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 3:32pm

Style: Escrima n00b

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Now if we were talking about our wives interest kicking ebay dealers asses that don't uphold their end of **** would be one of hers. They have a good problem resolution system. If you use an escrow service like paypal you have an extra layer of protection.
    Buying and selling on ebay is certainly one of my hobbies! It's a great way to keep your wardrobe fresh for very little, since once you get tired of the clothes you just sell them on and use the cash to buy different ones. We also had to cancel our wedding last October because I was so ill, and I recouped a fair amount of cash from selling basically the whole thing on ebay, from dress to accessories to the spare paper flowers I'd used to decorate the invitations.

If you want a bit of reassurance have a look at the sellers feedback. If they have a decent number of transactions and the feedback is positive then you can be reasonably sure the sale is legit. One or two negatives in a bunch of positives aren't really a big deal since everyone slips up now and then and sometimes buyers are just assholes. If you see they're getting negative or neutral feedback consistently then give it a miss. You can also look out for a "top rated seller" rosette next to the seller's name - these sellers have to have high volumes of sales, demonstrate consistently good selling practice and have over 99% positive feedback, so they're the best bet to buy from.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 12:54am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been a knife lover. I sharpen them by hand on stones and I tend to accumulate too many. I also have a tendency to give the ones I don't use away so that I never have too many at once, but then they stack up again. In my abundant lameness, after seeing Bond shave with a straight razor in Skyfall I decided "Well ****, why haven't I tried that?" So I ponied up way too much money and bought a shaving brush, some fancy soap, and a German Dovo straight razor so I could be like Bond. I've been shaving with nothing but a straight for the last 3 months or so and I actually am enjoying it. Haven't killed myself yet, although I do have a bit of a scar that's still healing on my cheek from when I got cocky in the beginning and went too fast.

So basically, I like sharp things I guess.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 3:10am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a portrait I painted of my wife nearly 5 years ago. I don't have much time to paint in oils any more...I tend towards small illustrations that don't take up much space.

Hopefully I'll get the paints out over summer as I'd like to do one of my wife and our son while he's little.

Name:  lydiasmall.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  35.1 KB

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IMightBeWrong View Post
    I've always been a knife lover.
    Doesn't that hurt?

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 1:01pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Doesn't that hurt?
    Not as often now as it used to, but every now and then yes.
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast