Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The nerdiest thing I'm into is high-end denim. Funnily enough, I first heard about it on a thread here, but at the time I thought it was a stupid waste of money. Then skinny jeans went from being a thing, to being the only thing that was available in regular high-street shops. So it was either start paying for fancy stuff, or start wearing grown-up trousers. Now I'm all about the selvage.

I also have a fairly serious watch collection, but I inherited that.

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 4:34pm

Style: bjj/judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I belong to a league that competes with antique hand powered fire fighting engines.

I also collect and repair WW2/pre WW2 pocket watches. I also do antique clocks in a small way, but apartment living and constant moves keep it from being a large hobby.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    I belong to a league that competes with antique hand powered fire fighting engines.
    That's pretty cool - what's the competition for? Distance? Pressure? Amount pumped in time?

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 6:24pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    That's pretty cool - what's the competition for? Distance? Pressure? Amount pumped in time?
    The competition is based on distance, the farthest(furthest?) drop of water larger than a dime is what is measured. In our league we have 2 classes, based on piston size. There are a lot of factors into success, including manpower, how well maintained your handtub is, and how skillful your foreman(the guy who sits on top of the machine and decides when to play a stream based on wind conditions, how tired the crew is etc.) and how well your pipeman plays the stream.

In our league, you have 15 minutes to play as many streams as you choose once your handtub is set in its chalks.

Competitions like this started when volunteer handtub companies would race to get to a fire, as the fire insurance companies would only pay the first handtub to actually put water on a fire. As there were no water mains back then, and hosemaking technology was very suspect, the handtubs would pump from a water source into another handtubs box, and then so on until it would reach the point where it was actually being put on a fire. There was all sorts of sabotage and dirty tricks, but back then it was considered an act of great shame to have your tub "washed" by another company, meaning the water you were pumping out was less than what was getting pumped in, making your tub over flow.

The competitions started off with the nozzle being attached to a vertical pole, and then the height would be measured, but it was considered more a science playing the stream horizontally.

Our handtub, the Hancock#128, is the oldest competing in the league(and as far as we know, the world), being built in 1828, and also has the world record stream for a class B tub, at 283'8".

http://www.handtubs.com/htotm3.htm

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 7:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    That is pretty damn cool how did you get involved in it in the 1st place?

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 8:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh man, I got a few weird ones.

I like to do crafty stuff. Making "Cigar Box Guitars". http://www.cigarboxnation.com/
    It's been tough since I was homeless to get my workshop set up (now I have space but am short on suplies and tools) but making instruments from found materials is something I really enjoy. I do a little DIY clothing alteration and repair as well. Mending my own back packing gear and clothes n' such.

I used to collect knives like a proper Ninjer, but I've tried to keep my otaku weirdness to sub-hoarder status lately.

Underground and alternative comics. I don't hoard these as much as I used to, but I have a THICK collection of old independant rags. I like the art and the independant stuff features more complex themes than your usual "Super-X" fare. Actually, art books and reference materials in general. I've got a pretty decent design library for a dude who lives in a one bedroom flat.

I like decorative rocks. Not much to add to that. Is it a mineral? Does it look cool? I'll take it...

I'm a whiskey aficianado... ..no, sorry... ...whiskey WHORE is a more accurate term. But I've been lucky enough to experience some incredible (even exclusive) beverages from all over the world and can boast a pretty sofisticated pallete (for a guy who's perfectly happy sipping Old Crow anyways...). On special occasions I'll spring for a top shelf bottle. Been waiting on an excuse to get some McCallan 18 for a while... ...it'll come...

I like to cook. I hold myself to a pretty high standard, or at least I try to make food that doesn't taste like ass and I force myself to learn new recipies and how to make popular items from scratch.

Also, guns. Not "cool mall ninja operator" guns mind you. Weird ass, obsolete guns. C&R bolt actions in chamberings that haven't seen action since the Soviets took Hungary, kind of guns. Basically, historical pieces. But I like them to be functional so you can experience the kick and the smoke and the noise and the challenge of shooting heavy arms with iron sights. I like examining the arsenal stamps and piecing togeather the life history of a given piece. They are a fun and interactive window into history, IMHO...

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 9:04pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    That is pretty damn cool how did you get involved in it in the 1st place?
    It was a family thing. My great grandfather got into it because he was a member of the Oddfellows, and in the town the Oddfellows belonged to one veterans firemans association, and the Freemasons belonged to another. He was only a casual participant though. My grandfather got really into it and actually traveled to Maine to learn about how the handtubs were originally made from the last surviving member of the family. He was a crackerjack machinist back in the day and took the handtub apart and rebuilt it from wheels up. He gradually began learning how to pipe the nozzle and the kids and assorted grandkids and friends have kept it going.

I was actually "baptized" at my first muster in South Paris, ME in 1981 with handtub water.

We also have a bus:

which is pretty cool in of itself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 4:19am

Style: Holiday Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be an avid Napoleonic battle re-enactor, which was basically dressing up in uncomfortable clothes, firing replica arms and getting drunk. Gave it up because health and safety started outweighing the fun and it became very, very expensive.

Shame really because I had some great times.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:23am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I collected DVDs. Had a few thousand at one stage. Just ex rentals and stuff on sale, if it was around the $7 mark and it was a good movie or one I wanted to see, I'd buy it. Sold off around half at one stage because I needed the money, leaving me with about 1500-2000, but that started to rise again real quick, only to be ripped from me in last years epic departure from the psycho ex.

It could be classed as an addiction, I have bought about ten in the last three days alone, at rental sales. I'm like a fucking bloodhound, if I go to a new mall in a different area, I will see what the store has available. Usually find a couple of gems, recent purchases include Boogie Nights and Red Dragon for $5 a pop. I have amassed a collection of around 70 since this time last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:33am

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool! Do you collect specific genres or just anything that looks interesting?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast