Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 4:27pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Glad to see that many of us are huge comic nerds. Big on stuff like Batman and The Punisher, specially anything that Garth Ennis
    regarding Ennis, have you read The Boys from him?

and yeah, the Punisher Max series ended a few months ago. i've never read any of the Max stuff, but was always interested because they are supposed to take place outside of the usual Marvel 616 universe (i think).

as for Batman, i don't even know what's going on there currently, especially with all this New 52 stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 4:44pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by strikesubmit View Post
    regarding Ennis, have you read The Boys from him?

and yeah, the Punisher Max series ended a few months ago. i've never read any of the Max stuff, but was always interested because they are supposed to take place outside of the usual Marvel 616 universe (i think).

as for Batman, i don't even know what's going on there currently, especially with all this New 52 stuff.
    I haven't though I keep getting it recommended to me, I hear it's good work by him. Need to get round to reading them, though I don't often get the chance to read comics like I used to. Work, girlfriend, kids... Doesn't leave you with much time.

The Punisher Max series is a must read. Yeah it's set in a world without super heroes and Frank is about 60 and can still kick a lot of arse, it's violent, gory and well written and you get the feeling that Garth is one of the few people to understand Frank Castle as a character. He's in no way a good person, infact he's a sick and twisted person and the only thing that keeps us routing for him is that the people he fights are much, much worse.

Though I understand Ennis rebooted he series with more supervillians and such. Here it's a good series but haven't read it.

As for the Batman series. The canon as been all over the place for the last few years now. Stopped trying to keep up with it years ago. Though I do still enjoy reading the classics, big struggle picking my favourite between The Dark Knight Returns, Year one and Long Halloween :)
    Last edited by Sovvolf; 9/26/2013 4:49pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 8:06pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't though I keep getting it recommended to me, I hear it's good work by him. Need to get round to reading them, though I don't often get the chance to read comics like I used to. Work, girlfriend, kids... Doesn't leave you with much time.

The Punisher Max series is a must read. Yeah it's set in a world without super heroes and Frank is about 60 and can still kick a lot of arse, it's violent, gory and well written and you get the feeling that Garth is one of the few people to understand Frank Castle as a character. He's in no way a good person, infact he's a sick and twisted person and the only thing that keeps us routing for him is that the people he fights are much, much worse.

Though I understand Ennis rebooted he series with more supervillians and such. Here it's a good series but haven't read it.

As for the Batman series. The canon as been all over the place for the last few years now. Stopped trying to keep up with it years ago. Though I do still enjoy reading the classics, big struggle picking my favourite between The Dark Knight Returns, Year one and Long Halloween :)
    I used to be a pretty committed comic nerd...still have my collection boxed and bagged, mostly from 70's and 80's. I appreciate the newer stuff, but just haven't had the time to get caught up...every now and then I'll pick up an omnibus edition at the library to read a series start to finish (and how cool is it that public libraries have this stuff now?).

So, you younger, hipper guys...if u were to recommend a 'must-read' title for an old school comic nerd, what would it be?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 11:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    I used to be a pretty committed comic nerd...still have my collection boxed and bagged, mostly from 70's and 80's. I appreciate the newer stuff, but just haven't had the time to get caught up...every now and then I'll pick up an omnibus edition at the library to read a series start to finish (and how cool is it that public libraries have this stuff now?).

So, you younger, hipper guys...if u were to recommend a 'must-read' title for an old school comic nerd, what would it be?
    Honestly mate it's hard to say. Haven't kept up with comic books in years. I remember the rebooted a good few of the main ones years ago with the whole "Ultimates" series, Ultimate X-men and Ultimate Spider-man... Stuff like that. However, while they all had a good start, they got pretty **** pretty fast. To be fair, guess writers run out of ideas, write them selves into corners or they'll get some different writer in that wants to take the series in another direction... Then you come out with a mess in the end.

These days if I read comics I'll still to some of my classics. Like, as stated above, The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, The Punisher MAX series... I mean, I whole heartedly recommend trying for the Ultimates series, cause as said, may of them come off with a strong start and can be a fun read.

I hear Planet Hulk and World War Hulk are worth read too, not read them myself but my brother and fellow comicbook nerd with more time on his hands than me, seemed to enjoy them.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 11:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Boys started off good, but turned to crap. We have a thread, in this very forum, that has graphic novels and compilations to read.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 6:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The Boys started off good, but turned to crap. We have a thread, in this very forum, that has graphic novels and compilations to read.
    Oh, cool, I'll check it out...thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 9:20am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need to get round to reading them, though I don't often get the chance to read comics like I used to. Work, girlfriend, kids... Doesn't leave you with much time.
    completely understand that.

as i mentioned, the constant "big" events, spin-offs and tie-ins get to be too much.

i like the Hellboy release schedule. a mini-series, then break, then maybe a one shot or two parter, break, and then another mini.

that method keeps things fresh and manageable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 5:44am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I collect hobbies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 3:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I collect hobbies.
    What do you do with them once you've collected them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 4:19pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I collect hobbies.

I tried collecting hobbyists at one point, but it didn't work out. The screaming and yelling was annoying, and eventually the basement started to smell bad. I'd advise against it.