Administrator

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 9:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hobbies and other things you collect

WTF?

Yes, I am going to see this for Mother's Day today at IMAX. My wife wanted to see it and said "Hey IMAX tickets and family would be a great gift." SHiiiiiitttt!!! The nerd gets to see what he wants and it is a gift to boot?

Hell Yeah.

Anyway, while gloating a bit I wondered what weird, childish or normal things you boneheads collect. Why not start a thread to release the inner nerdiness.

So, I'll start:
    Comic Book Statues. This is actually an extremely new Hobby for me. Years ago I bought this Hulk statue:

It is alright, but that was good enough for me.
    About 8 years pass and I wanted a Mr. Fixit Statue from Peter David's run on the Hulk. This Hulk was gray, acted like a teenager, had a girlfriend and wore a suit. Tooling around the net, I ran across this statue:

As a comic book nerd, this epitomized the Planet Hulk run by Greg Pak. I was sold. Still, it wasn't the one I purchased first. While looking for a good price I found out another one of my favorite Hulk incarnations was created; Maestro:

This hulk survived an apocalypse that killed all of the Heroes, but the Hulk. He is fully enraged and runs the world. He keeps all of the heroes costumes, weapons and even the Silver Surfer's shattered Board in a Trophy room.

Eventually, while still looking for the Mr. Fixit statue, I found a forum where Bowen, that statue creator of Maestro, posted. I found out he was making a Mr. Fixit. Well, at this point, I have two out of the 4 Major Hulk incarnations. So, guess I might as well keep going.

So, I now have Mr. Fixit:

The original Hulk:

and thanks to the announcements Thanos:

Classic Cable:

and a Galactus Bust:

I'm waiting for King Hulk and Professor/Smart Hulk so I can quit.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/23/2013 5:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 11:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I collect baseball scorecards. I know it's weird thing to start collecting but baseball is the only sport where I can sit down with a scorecard from early days before tv and "watch" the game. Right now I am trying to track down the old Negro League scorecards (really rare) in particular the Monarchs during the Satchel Paige, Bucky Dent, Jackie Robinson era.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I make walking sticks out of, uh, sticks.

Since that pic, I've done quite a few others and have gotten into carving and woodburning features. The current one I hike around with has alchemical symbols woodburned up the shaft, from the simple to the complex, with a red stone inset in the tip.

I've tried making some wooden martial arts weapons using what I've learned from sticks:

I paint a bit:

I just donated the two guitars to a hippie fundraiser.

I draw stuff:
    http://ross-makoske.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 1:57am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow some awesome stuff guys. I am pretty boring, I no longer collect anything as I am just out of space and sick of lugging everything with me when we move and we move a lot I am not entirely sure as to why.
    But here is the breakdown

One I am not much of a spectator I rather be doing unless its something crazy awesome like Rally Racing.

If its geeky or nerdy I probably enjoy it with the odd exception of reading fiction. Well reading in general actually but tend to prefer nonfiction.

If it has a motor in it I am interested in it especially if the motor can be tampered with. I also enjoy participating in motorsports but alas its really out of my budget these days.

If its outdoorsy I also enjoy it but not as much as I did in my youth (I be an Eagle Scout) something about sleeping on the ground just isn't quite as awesome but still cool.

I also love to golf but I really can't justify the cost.

So an ideal day would be to get up go roll, play a round of golf, carve up some canyons in my car without worry of getting a ticket go roll again and finish the night with some good old pen and paper rpgs with friends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 5:44am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those walking sticks are very cool.

I sort of "collect" music instruments (mostly strings) and learn to play (most of) them.

I'm kind of proud of my nyckelharpa, my Indian tambura and a saz that I have.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 7:28am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to collect old, notable computers. I'll have to get some pics online, but here's a brief:

In my garage is a short dual-node IBM SP with high-speed switch. It's about the size of a SMART car (slight exaggeration, but a person can easily fit inside the frame). It was a million-dollar computer when my company bought it new; I got it for the low low cost of a case of beer for a buddy to help me move it, years later.

I had a real affinity for Sun hardware. My personal fave is the SPARCstation 330, which is a two-man carry - hence the steel casters on the bottom. I got the CG adapter for it, so I can run colored X-windows on it. I have several pizza boxen, as well.

Somewhere (probably inside the SP) is what I think is a B&H Apple II plus. It's black.

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 8:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

WTF?

Yes, I am going to see this for Mother's Day
    Apparently, it has different titles in Russian and English.

I would have titled it Eggs Cummerbund And His Dastardly Demolishingly-Destructive Dire Donut Of Deadly Doom, but I doubt Jar Jar Abrams would have approved.

It was enough of a stretch to have an Northwest-Indian/Punjabi/Kashmiri/whatever superman played by Richard Mount White. On the rare occasion, however, one can run across northwest Indians and Mediterraneans who might pass for each other.

Cumberbatch (amazing actor though he is) as Khan? I hope to hell the rumours are wrong. He's a definite stand-out as John Harrison, but if they do this drag-the-classic-villain-back-for-show thing ("see what we did there--cool huh?"), then I'll wait to see it for free...or not at all.

My chief hobby, surprisingly enough, is radiating negativity.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I collect knives, but not just regular knives, things that are sharp that can be used for different stuff. Like I have a couple different machetes, my favorite is a Saxe Machete. I'm getting a kukri next. I also have a cold steel SF shovel that I practice throwing into trees. It's cool. Then some normal ones like Balisong, tactical folders, fixed blades, and hunting knives. But that's not that weird, except to my wife and her friends.

I would say the weird thing that usually surprises people is that I raise chickens and have for years. We eat the eggs, too. I love Rhode Island Reds. I like silkies, but their eggs are too small and infrequent. I also have bantams, but the little eggs are a drag and I'm in the process of culling them. I would like to get some Gold Laced Wyandottes next.

So here are some pics for yah:

Rhode Island Red:
    Name:  RhodeIslandRed.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  7.6 KB

And here is a Gold Laced Wyandotte:

Name:  goldlacedwyandotte.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  18.2 KB

They are pretty cool looking.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 10:04am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I'll say is, it looks like this iteration of Star Trek will be good with the odd numbers. Liked the movie, but...........

So, anyway I saw star trek last night. So, obviously, Wrath of Kahn was my favorite Trek movie until the reboot. After last night, it is still number 2. So, at my comic book shop, We get the Diamond Select Catalog. It shows what will ship in a few months. Occasionally, it takes years. When I was 5 or 6 I received this for Christmas:

Lost it after years of play. While watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, they showed the various ship models in a display case.

Well, I wanted them as well. As usual, I wanted the Wrath of Kahn Enterprise:

But I ordered this back in 2002:

It didn't show up until 2006.
    While waiting I ordered this and it is a radio:
    It broke during a move.

Then, as their popularity grew I ordered others that were actually toys not a radio.

My buddy gave e this one as a gift:

Funnier still, I have not purchased the Wrath of Kahn Enterprise NCC-1701 refit.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 10:10am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    When I was 5 or 6 I received this for Christmas:
    That's awesome! I had one of those. IIRC, it was battery operated and the warp nacelles lit up - my dad hung it from my ceiling with fishing line, this would have been about 1981. I remember being terrified of it, because about the same time it went up, a scorpion found its way into my bed and stung the **** out of me.
Page 1 of 15 1 234511 ... LastLast