233144 Bullies, 3548 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 1:19pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chevron says " we're sorry"

Less than a week after a natural gas well caught fire and exploded in southwestern Pennsylvania, energy giant Chevron has come under fire after sending out an apology letter to local residents... with a voucher for a large pizza and two-liter drink. The accident left one worker injured and another is missing and presumed dead.

Philly.com confirmed with the pizza parlor listed on the vouchers that the company did distribute about 100 of them.

So sorry about you not be able to live in your house, but hey here's a free pizza. I mean wow talk about a qualification for douchebag of the month.

full story here : http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4808842

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 3:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Passing out free pizzas is actually a step up for Chevron. This is the company that lost an $8 billion dollar lawsuit for polluting the Ecuadorian rainforest and ruining the lives of the indians living there. Chevron, whose annual income is several times that of Ecuador's gross national product, has fought the case for 20 years and keeps on fighting. Chevron has racked up quite a collection of environmental fiascos, in the U.S. and abroad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevron_Corporation

Maybe Chevron is turning over a new leaf, and in the future will admit liability for these incidents and settle its claims with take-out Italian food. This reminds me of a story I heard -- can't verify it, but the source is reliable -- that when oil exploration began in Alaska, the oil companies involved paid for drilling rights by gifting the Eskimos with crates of canned tuna.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnMunchh View Post
    Passing out free pizzas is actually a step up for Chevron. This is the company that lost an $8 billion dollar lawsuit for polluting the Ecuadorian rainforest and ruining the lives of the indians living there. Chevron, whose annual income is several times that of Ecuador's gross national product, has fought the case for 20 years and keeps on fighting. Chevron has racked up quite a collection of environmental fiascos, in the U.S. and abroad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevron_Corporation

Maybe Chevron is turning over a new leaf, and in the future will admit liability for these incidents and settle its claims with take-out Italian food. This reminds me of a story I heard -- can't verify it, but the source is reliable -- that when oil exploration began in Alaska, the oil companies involved paid for drilling rights by gifting the Eskimos with crates of canned tuna.
    Ya nevermind that the pollution in Ecuador was caused by the State owned oil company and their partner at the time. Chevron bought out the partner, and has since been blamed for everything that happened before they even entered the country.

The free pizza is stupid and insulting.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 5:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Ya nevermind that the pollution in Ecuador was caused by the State owned oil company and their partner at the time. Chevron bought out the partner, and has since been blamed for everything that happened before they even entered the country.

The free pizza is stupid and insulting.
    Chevron has argued that the problem was caused by the Ecuadorian oil company and by Texaco, Chevron's predecessor. There is probably some truth to that. However, when Chevron acquired Texaco, they bought both the benefit of its assets and the obligation to account for its liabilities. As to the Ecuadorian Co., its not credible to suggest that the decisions regarding waste management were all made by the State company and Chevron/Texaco had nothing to do with it. Particularly given Chevron's record at other similar sites.

They could at least throw in a green salad with the pizza and Coke.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2014 9:34pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheese pizza's the motherfucking cunts wouldn't even pay for toppings...
    Fu Hung Hsieh remains Fu Hung Hsieh and Kung-tzu Yu remains Kung-tzu Yu.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 3:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being financially liable for the cost of the clean up is massively different than being guilty of causing the environmental destruction in the first place.

It's like saying that I should be blamed because the previous owner of my car ran someone over, sold the car to me, and then fled the country.

Chevron bought a lemon of a company without doing their due diligence. Chevron did not destroy the environment of Ecuador.

Petro-Ecuador, however, is still in business and is actually responsible for the pollution. No one blames them because it's funner to condemn big companies, and more profitable.

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 7:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danharr View Post
    Cheese pizza's the motherfucking cunts wouldn't even pay for toppings...
    That's some nerve.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 11:24am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being financially liable for the cost of the clean up is massively different than being guilty of causing the environmental destruction in the first place.

It's like saying that I should be blamed because the previous owner of my car ran someone over, sold the car to me, and then fled the country.

Chevron bought a lemon of a company without doing their due diligence. Chevron did not destroy the environment of Ecuador.

Petro-Ecuador, however, is still in business and is actually responsible for the pollution. No one blames them because it's funner to condemn big companies, and more profitable.
    The case is long and complicated, and I'm sure its been hard to apportion liability between Petro Ecuador and Texaco by precise percentages. However, I think two things are pretty clear: (1) The third largest corporation in the world does not invest billions in a corporate acquisition without doing due diligence. I have no doubt that when Chevron acquired Texaco they knew exactly what they were buying, and (2)
    This isn't about moral blame. its about paying for damages. In a calculated business decision, Chevron paid for a company and made a profit out of Texaco assets in Ecuador and elsewhere. Texaco's liabilities no doubt were taken into account as much as its assets in setting the price for Texaco. Now, Chevron is trying to duck the other side of the bargain, that it now stands in the shoes of Texaco insofar as its liabilities.

Its like saying that I can buy a stolen car knowing its stolen, sell it for profit, and then when the real owner shows up refuse to compensate him on the grounds that I didnt steal the car. As the individual that knowingly did business with the thief, I am also responsible for the cost of his wrongdoing.

Edit: the Ecuadorian oil company may well be liable to the indians too.
    Last edited by CapnMunchh; 2/20/2014 11:27am at .

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 3:50pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at the idea that corporations don't make mistakes.

Do a google search for "bad mergers".

Saying Chevron is liable for clean up costs is different than saying they actually did it. That's my point, which people are more than happy to ignore because it's easier to oversimplify a situation and blame a large corporation.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2014 4:50pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL at the idea that corporations don't make mistakes.

Do a google search for "bad mergers".

Saying Chevron is liable for clean up costs is different than saying they actually did it. That's my point, which people are more than happy to ignore because it's easier to oversimplify a situation and blame a large corporation.
    Corporations make mistakes and bad business decisions. What you're suggesting, however, is that Chevron was unfairly caught by surprise as a result of Texaco's or Petro Ecuador's actions, which I just can't buy.

I don't disagree that there is a difference between "they did it" and "they're liable," and that Chevron comes more under the latter category. But I find it galling that Chevron tries to avoid paying and win the public's sympathy by invoking fairness arguments and emphasizing that they didnt actually cause the pollution, they just bought into it. Either way, they are obligated to pay, and they know it.

Google Chevron and environmental, or just follow the links on their Wikipedia page for the reasons why their environmental record leaves them in no position to raise moral arguments. The Chevron executives who argue vehemently that Chevron is being unfairly treated are the same ones that no doubt would tell you that the company's primary obligation is to make money for its shareholders, and that means fighting off all claims against the company -- including claims by indigenous people whose lives were wrecked by the same oil development that resulted in profits for Chevron.