Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/14/2015 10:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good self defense books

After reading Peyton Quinn's "A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling" or most of it around a year ago, I'm wondering what some of the more popular books there are in that area. I mean like books meant to help learn self-defense the smart way. You get what I'm saying? I thought it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. I would love to know who the different authors are. Thanks.

Best,

LuvsAsia

Posted On:
    4/14/2015 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvsAsia View Post
    After reading Peyton Quinn's "A Bouncer's Guide to Barroom Brawling" or most of it around a year ago, I'm wondering what some of the more popular books there are in that area. I mean like books meant to help learn self-defense the smart way. You get what I'm saying? I thought it would be great if someone could point me in the right direction. I would love to know who the different authors are. Thanks.

Best,

LuvsAsia
    This question is tricky to answer. Its like asking is their any good books to learn how to play baseball, do gymnastics or play football.
    The answer is yes when combined with in person instruction from a qualified instructor that uses an alive methodology.
    see video for what we mean by alive.

Self Defense is a physical skill. It needs to be practiced in a physical manner with other people of a certain level of competence.
    The best books I can recommend for self defense are going to be:
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Canon-Judo.../dp/4770029799
    http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-Univ...ity+%5BBook%5D
    http://www.amazon.com/How-Fight-Toug.../dp/1581603150

DVDs are going to be better than books (but still need qualified in person instructions)
    Dog brothers Die Less often 1-3
    Jason Scully invisible grappling
    Unfortantly I don't know off the top of my head any good striking videos.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 12:11am

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anderson Silva's 'Boxing for MMA' helped me quite a bit.

The Modern Army Combatives Program manual is also good material.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 12:51am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find any ninja book (Hayes, Hatsumi, whatever) and do the opposite of whatever it tells you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 5:10am

Style: MMA BJJ TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK- not necessarily for learning self defence but I did enjoy reading the following books:

1) Watch my Back by Geoff Thompson. Entertaining.
    2) Peter Consterdione books- more informational
    3) Herding the Moo: Exploits of a martial arts cult- how NOT to learn a martial art.
    4) Most books by Charles Bronson- entertaining
    5) Muscle by Carlton Leach- British crime Biography. I like these :)

Probably not too helpful but I read more for general interest and motivation which supplements my actual, physical training nicely.

Good luck in your pursuits!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 6:59am

Style: Karate, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Geoff Thompson did an interesting series of books on various aspects of self defence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Escapes-...WPQYS6QZMZ832B

I met him briefly at a book signing and I liked his 'no bullshit' approach to training self defence. He also makes an effort to explain why he advocates certain techniques or training methods based on his own experiences.

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 1:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm looking for the brain aspect

For those of you who have read Peyton Quinn's novels (I've only read most of one), I'm not looking for something move-based but something that teaches the other aspects. Do you know what I mean? I think there are a lot of move based things, but I'll look at the links above. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the original thread and I'm scared there might already be links above that are move-based.

I want to actually know what to do in an intense situation decision wise, not just in terms of MA. I say that since I know that to win in serious situations, people have to be smart and make good decisions and there's strategy also. So yeah...

Thanks.

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 3:20pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you who have read Peyton Quinn's novels (I've only read most of one), I'm not looking for something move-based but something that teaches the other aspects. Do you know what I mean? I think there are a lot of move based things, but I'll look at the links above. Sorry, I forgot to mention that in the original thread and I'm scared there might already be links above that are move-based.

I want to actually know what to do in an intense situation decision wise, not just in terms of MA. I say that since I know that to win in serious situations, people have to be smart and make good decisions and there's strategy also. So yeah...

Thanks.
    You have no concept what so ever, and that is ok cause most people who don't train have no concept.
    The Physical is way more important than the mental in may respects.
    "A bad place well executed is better than a good plan poorly executed"
    A fight is a very physical thing. Even before a fight begins its a very physical thing.
    Your heart pounds your Adeline rushes you get tunnel vision your breathing can become labored.
    Your body needs to know what to do.
    If you think your late, and if your late your dead.
    Every option in a fight is physical even avoiding a fight.
    Being able to run away physical.
    Being intimidating physical.
    Reacting to a flight or flight mechanism physical.
    Its all physical none of it can be done by book learning.

Now that being said I actually did think of one more DVD resource that is actually pretty good. Gracie bullyproof system its actually aimed at kids but the "Gracie Games" in it are very good at building what we call body skills. It offers up a lot of the mental attitudes. Its covers a few basic techniques getting you ready for "Gracie Combatives" Anyways I would recommend it for the Gracie games cause those help get the body to automatically react to a verity of stimulus.
    Obviously though you would need a training partner still.
    Still qualified instruction is going to help you out even more.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to actually know what to do in an intense situation decision wise, not just in terms of MA. I say that since I know that to win in serious situations, people have to be smart and make good decisions and there's strategy also.
    If you wait until the situation gets intense to make decisions, you will very likely fail. Your "strategy" should include not doing things that raise your baseline likelihood of being attacked, disengaging if attacked, and fighting ferociously if deescalation or escape is impossible. Any fighting will be auto-sequenced reactions derived from training, ideally, hard sparring.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Posted On:
    4/15/2015 4:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seriously suggest you read this thread as it actually address quite a few of the reasons you need to train in a physical manner
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=124278
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast